What DAW are you using?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by dougmon, Sep 28, 2020.

1. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Or maybe you're just really good at creating stuff that utilizes the skills you have to their best advantage.

2. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Probably more like I live alone, retired and without any adult supervision LOLOLOL

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  3. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    Reaper. I never got on well with Garageband for fiddly editing. Reaper has lots of power but easy to use. As said elsewhere, lots of online help and videos. Low cost and the free updates are seamless.

panhead6zero likes this.
  4. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I started with Reaper, which I still think is the best choice for beginners, because of the low price and the superb community.

But nowadays I use Presonus Studio One, which I think is the best DAW for songwriters.

Whatever you choose, make sure it supports 24bit for best sound quality ... so Garageband is out ;) ... and btw ... Audacity is no DAW, but just an Audio Editor and recorder.

5. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Editing in Audacity seems simple, yet powerful. Intuitive, with a lot of options. Audacity has A LOT of effects. Unfortunately, some of the important ones, such as reverb, are not all that good. None can be used on the fly. All are adjusted via numerical parameters....so...it is a matter of input some numbers, go back and listen...try again.

No internal instruments, percussion or amp sims. No MIDI.

GB has very good (could be excellent) internal instruments, along with MIDI. Seems easy and fairly intuitive to use. I like the effects and love that you can dial them in and out, on the fly. MIDI is very easy to use and seems to have a great variety of useful instruments.

Editing, however, is not all that great, and not very easy to use. No amp sims, as far as I can tell.

If and when I advance to a more powerful DAW, I think it would be Reaper. Have looked at it, seems the more intuitive of the many offerings out there. And not too pricey ($60?). To jump from GB to Apple Logic is about $200. I think.

Right now, my editing needs are pretty simple. If a track has errors, I just do it over. Record live amps, so, no need for sims. Can use a pedal or pre for improving or coloring vocals, if need be.

But, I do think Reaper would be the next jump for me. I had thought about taking what I produce in GB and going back to Audacity to edit, if I need to...but......don't think that would work very well....and be clunky...not to mention....it would have to be an MP3.

I do think, if you had all external instruments (including keys), amps, sims and controls, Audacity would be fine. I was shooting for that...but....MIDI in GB is just so nice.

6. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Agree, Audacity is not a DAW. Just looked, however....GB IS 24 bit.

7. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I haven't used Reaper much, but it looks ok. Given I use Mainstage for keys, Logic is my preference. It's so simple to use... And powerful.

Mainstage has some guitar pedals, but I'm not sure about amps. Garageband, Mainstage and Logic can all share VST's and samples. But, if I were wanting to run guitar through any of those programs, I'd be looking to grab an external program. Ideally, Helix Native (but if you don't have a Helix product, it's SERIOUSLY expensive). Otherwise, there's a few other decent amp sims...

I'm not usually an Apple fanboi. I run Windows for work (my key work software package is Windows only - it used to be Unix only!). But Apple's music production stuff just works so nicely...

navigate40 likes this.
  8. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    PreSonus Studio one Artist. It came with the interface. Still learning how to use it. Everything in the south is slow, me included.

9. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Digital Performer for almost 20 years, and I've now added ProTools for the last couple years to deal with projects coming from or going to other studios.

pmac11 likes this.
  10. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yes, Mainstage has a generous selection of amps & cabinets. And it has quite a lot of pedals actually.

Mainstage uses AUs, AudioUnits, the Apple only plugin format.

I've been using Mainstage for mixing all the effects for the tours of Kronos Quartet, an internationally touring avant-garde string quartet. Mainstage has replaced our old rack of hardware processors, including Lexicon, TC, Yamaha, Boss, etc. The Mainstage effects sound better, and are vastly easier to tweak on the fly in the middle of a concert. And we can have a whole lot more instances going on simultaneously. It has really changed our live sound design concept profoundly.

Henry and Tadhg like this.
  11. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

12. jackfossett

jackfossett Gretschie

Jul 17, 2019
    Maine
    Logic Pro X for years. Love it.

13. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Any fans of Mixbus here? Fairly cheap and the graphics all look like old sliders and knobs.

14. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
  15. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I did a little research into Mixbus, and it does look really good. The only reason I wouldn't go for it is that it doesn't support VST3 plugins (yet).

A number of people seem to be using this. Although I don't think I'll ever be a full-time user of it, it's certainly good enough. One of the reasons I didn't go for it in the first place is that there aren't a lot of virtual instruments that come with it. Of course, you end up buying virtual instruments with any DAW, right?

This is funny, because I'm sort of an Apple fanboy (well, ok, I have a MacBook and an iPad), and I'd never heard of this. Looks interesting, though.

16. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I started with the free VSTi I could find on line. Some of them like 4FrontBass and DirtBag (Hammond B3) I still use. Be warned though...Once you try a Fender Rhodes VST by Waves, or Native Instruments' Rickenbacker Bass, you may not want to go back to the freebies.

Waxhead and dougmon like this.
  17. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Yeah, I tried the Native Instruments stuff on your recommendation. There's stuff in there I never would have thought would be in a plugin, like Uilleann pipes. And it all sounds good. I will probably move to the non-free stuff when I can.

Myself, I'm crazy about the XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2. There is only one con with that package, and that's that you can play with beats and sounds endlessly. And the number of great add ons will empty your wallet pretty quickly.

pmac11 likes this.
  18. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I only use digital instruments in iReal to create a guide track. All of the other instruments are real, and mostly acoustic.

19. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Studio One Professional but learning LUNA. Studio One was my first DAW and apparently LUNA is somewhat similar to Protools (?) so it's not as intuitive to me but it's nice to have some of the extras available.

20. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    So what do you do if you want a string section or a horn section?

Point is, not everybody has the instruments. I can put down a guitar track or a bass track, but not a saxophone track. Or a violin track. (Well, I can record a violin track, but not in tune...)

I like your point about iReal, though. It's great for sketching out a tune and then you can just export the MIDI and replace it with what you want.

Tele295 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.