What case should I get?

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by DougieNorrie, Apr 2, 2021.

1. DougieNorrie

DougieNorrie Electromatic

Nov 10, 2020
    Liverpool
    Hi folks.
    Can someone tell me what case would best fit my 5230t electromatic?
    Thanks.

2. GuitarJunkie

GuitarJunkie Gretschie

Feb 22, 2016
    Georgia
    I think you are looking for the Gretsch 6238FT. That’s the one I picked up for my center block jr and it fits like a glove. I think it’s made specifically for jets...

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I know your new to the forum .... tell'em guys :p

4. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    All jokes aside , I like Gator Cases . But remember , If you buy a case with the word " Gretsch " stenciled on it , you're probably going to pay an extra $100 for it

Jeff67 and wabash slim like this.
  5. GuitarJunkie

GuitarJunkie Gretschie

Feb 22, 2016
    Georgia
    :oops: :D

thunder58 likes this.
  6. GuitarJunkie

GuitarJunkie Gretschie

Feb 22, 2016
    Georgia
    never thought of myself as a label snob....guess it’s true lol

7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    No no , you're not a snob .... my biggest pet-peeve is that every guitar SHOULD COME WITH A CASE !! :p

lwilliams, Jeff67, Rmccamey and 3 others like this.
  8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Another favorite of mine SKB ( pic for reference )

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 7.50.53 AM.png

9. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    ....and a jack plate! (Pet peeve #2) :p

Jeff67, MrWookiee and thunder58 like this.
  10. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    I think I laid out $140 for a Gretsch case for a $400 ProJet. The problem is, in my research I kept hearing that the Jet won't fit in a standard LP aftermarket case. Others who know better will chime in here I'm sure.

11. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    I use a G6238FT for mine, fits great. The G6238 Deluxe is to small because of the Bigsby.

12. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    It won't. The LP upper bout is much smaller than a Jet's.
    I'm still on the lookout still for a decent priced Jet case. Can't understand why The 'Gretsch' cases for larger Streamliners are cheaper than those for Jets.

Also I don't want 'Gretsch' blazoned across the front. A target for thieves.
    Same reason I carry my camera gear around in a tatty case rather than have 'NIKON' proudly on show to all.
    Seems makers want us to pay for advertising them!
    Rant over.

MrWookiee and thunder58 like this.
  13. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    yes .... thank you

14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ...and a good rant at that . Like I said in my above post , $100 difference for the Gretsch stencil . Believe me , I went to purchase a case for my Gretsch 12 string Hollow Body . Same exact case ( TKL ) stencil with Ibenez , ballpark of $60/70 . Stencil with Gretsch ballpark of $160-180

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    AND a jack plate and straplocks. and a Tru-Arc or Compton bridge. You're slipping, Thunder.

Also, an Epi Kat case will fit Jets as well but L{P cases won't. Priced right, too.

Londoner and thunder58 like this.
  16. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I think a lot of guitar players like their chosen guitar brand on the case for either prestige or because the long term value of the guitar with an original case. I have a liking for Hiscox cases, tough and high quality. The only original case I have a guitar in is my Heritage 555 which was purpose built for the guitar, and I've never seen a case any better for that style of guitar on the after market.

17. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    DN,

I can't emphasize strongly enough to buy a Gretsch case, specifically designed for your model.

The interior of Gretsch branded cases have foam wedges in the padding, which ensures your guitar, when lying in repose, will have no stress placed on the neck.

You can see with my G6131-MY, the weight of the guitar is on the wedge pad, there is no weight/stress on the guitar at the neck support, which is there only to keep the guitar aligned in the case.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1335.JPG DSCF1336.JPG

Jerzey Bob and Marko60 like this.
  18. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    Sometimes I go to Sweetwater and use their case finder or check the new guitar page, find my guitar and usually they have a "guarantee fit" case or two listed. I just got one for my Seagull 12 string that way. I've never gotten a bad fit case that way. Don't necessarily have to buy it from them but it gives you a case you can look for. I got a nice Gator Demo case from them and saved $20

19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Get the best case you can afford. Logos on the case don't protect your guitar. In some cases, thjey just advertise "Steal Me First!". I expect cases to get beat up. They're there to protect your guitar. They add nothing to the sound. A solid case need not be expensive. They often get covered in stickers---easier to identify a specific one in a group.

Just avoid gold piping.

Londoner and Rmccamey like this.
  20. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Pics or you're a bot. :cool:

Open box Gretsch case I got was $120, "The Art of the Steal", by Jerzey Bob. Seriously, doesn't matter what it is, scour the net, 'til you find open box version of what you seek. Orr, check Thomanns. Run from used & demos.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.