What Audio Interface are you using?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by pmac11, Sep 20, 2020.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    For those of you that are recording at home, what kind of A/D interface are you using, and how do you like it? I've been using a Behringer UMC404HD for the past three years, and it's worked well for me. Even if it's more than I really need for mic-ing a guitar amp, it's been a great value.

Recently I've decided to upgrade to a UA Apollo Solo. The plug-ins that come bundled with it retail for more than the purchase price of the unit, so I'm stoked for it to arrive in a week or so.

No plans to switch my DAW...Reaper is just fine for what I'm doing!

Cheers!

wizard_23 and Waxhead like this.
  2. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    We’re using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

very good little unit.. DEB9CE0F-DFB7-4B81-A93E-2EE81BB95586.jpeg

stevo, bhatta, petem1966 and 8 others like this.
  3. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I've been using a Roland Octa-Capture for the last several years. I've been quite happy with it. Does more than I need it to do....but, I liked the feature set at the time.
    [​IMG]

4. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    UAD Apollo 16. The Universal Audio DSP plugins are my main effects & I run a pro recording studio, so I need lots of inputs & outputs. The UAD stuff is world class.

audept, oneforsorrow and pmac11 like this.
  5. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2 Audio Interface. Came as a Package with Condenser mic.
    with Shockmount, Monitors, Boom stand, Pop filter and DAW. I think a good price at $ 300 for someone just getting in to home recording.

pmac11 likes this.
  6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    How steep is the learning curve really with the UA gear? The manual for the Apollo Solo is 257 pages...

7. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I used to use a Novation NIO 24, great usb card. But it was victim of planned obsolescence: I had to change my iMac as no website was no longer working properly due to no browser update avaible for the OS version; and Novation no longer provides drivers for the later OS version on my new iMac.

So I have to boycott Nocation and then Focusrite, which now is the same company. Which is too bad because it seems their Scarlett card is a great tool.
    But there's no way I give my money again to that company.

pmac11 likes this.
  8. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I've got a Steinberg UR242. I chose it because it has 24/192khz, works with iOS and has onboard DSP, which was being described as onboard plug-ins, but they are not VST plug-ins that you can change out. It seems fine otherwise.

I also have an older Apogee Jam which is small and works well, but is only 16/44.1khz.

RG7X and pmac11 like this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
  10. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Presonus Studio One 5 Professional into a Presonus Studio 192 with a Presonus HP60 kicker. It's literally a portable studio (it's all about the room) that I can set up to record the band within an hour. I chose to go with Presonus early on and don't regret it. They have a solid customer support system.

CaliforniaSlim, BCRatRod73 and pmac11 like this.
  11. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Focus right 18i8
    23EDE953-3987-48DC-99F0-A8A7BE59D79E.jpeg 23EDE953-3987-48DC-99F0-A8A7BE59D79E.jpeg

audept, pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  12. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Like @Trash Kidd I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. One of the good things about it is that it takes the direct out from my amp.

scarlett2i2-900-900.png

wraith, pmac11, audept and 2 others like this.
  13. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I have the same one. Great piece of gear... and really durable too. I dropped mine on a concrete floor from about 4 feet. Still works like a charm.

pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  14. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    Firt Gen. Focusrite 2i2. Been thinking of upgrading to the newest one, but the old one works perfectly fine to my needs.

pmac11, audept and Waxhead like this.
  15. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It definitely takes some time, and this is my profession, so I'm accustomed to figuring out recording apps. The plug ins are like any others (though arguably better sounding than many,) so not much of a learning curve there, but the Console application takes some real deep diving to wrap your head around. I've put in a lot of late nights just getting all my sends configured for the multichannel headphone system I use. But once you've gotten through the set up procedure, it's clear sailing. The main thing to be aware of is that what the software calls outputs 1 & 2 are the monitor outputs, to feed the speakers. Thus software outputs 3 & 4 are hardware outputs 1 & 2, etc. Continually confusing to me, especially when combined with 16 analog inputs & outputs, plus 2 more digital ins & outs, plus what UAD calls 'virtual' channels, for accessing DAW playback tracks. There's a lot to be aware of, but UAD has a lot of good tutorial video on YouTube.

pmac11 and oneforsorrow like this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Gen 3 is the current version and allegedly has improved pre-amps over Gen 2 as the main feature.
    I have Gen 2 and if I upgrade I'll go to top of line with the Clarett 4Pre :D

pmac11, dougmon and audept like this.
  17. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I use an Apollo 8 and while I'm not running a commercial studio, we do commercial work out of our studio (film, commission recordings, hired gun work, and our own albums). The Console application can be as complex as you need it to be but I've found a lot of utility without going too deep. I'm currently running our live stream through Console by using it like I would a hardware version of a mixer and making use of the plug-ins at my disposal. This has had me diving the deepest into the uses of Console versus the recording that we've done with it. In the case of recording, I'm usually just tracking an individual source and using the 2 headphone outputs with minimal routing challenges (maybe routing a vocal to a reverb for a little cushion in the monitors during the take or gain-staging with some compression when tracking drums). When the pandemic abates enough to allow it, we will be tracking a band and then I'll likely have a few late night preps for headphone mixes myself. But as Scott says, there are many great tutorials and once you get a feel for how it'll best fit your needs, it is smooth sailing. And yes, the plug-ins do sound a step above everything else. I keep challenging myself as to whether or not I'm falling prey to the amazing graphics and hype, but to the degree that I can be objective, they do sound amazing.

And don't forget, it can get you in the door with LUNA.

EDIT:

I also considered Antelope Audio when we purchased the UA. The specs were slightly better but the plug-ins hadn't yet hit the streets. I found a great deal on a B-stock Apollo but the main reason I went with it for want of the integration with their plug-ins. I know another studio owner who went with the Antelope and she loves it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    pmac11 likes this.
  18. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I’ve been using ProTools HD with the AVID 192 interface and core card. More power than I need but I got it for a deal many years ago. Can record up to 16 Simultaneously but I’ve yet to do that. 24/192. No reason to update.

B0FBBD48-FF65-4BC8-AB7D-5C0728EB0EBF.jpeg

Waxhead, pmac11 and BCRatRod73 like this.
  19. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Focusrite Solo for me. But hey I am a serious rookie! upload_2020-9-20_22-9-56.png

Waxhead, pmac11 and dougmon like this.
  20. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Tascam Model 24 and MOTU 896 mk3.

Attached Files:

Waxhead, TubeLife and pmac11 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.