What are your thoughts on the new Rat Rods?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by 33Jayman, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Spdcc138

Spdcc138 Electromatic

Jun 16, 2020
    Texas
    That’s exactly what I thought but I don’t wanna risk damaging by trying to remove it but it feels like it’s pinned to the body

2. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    It probably is, but that should be either a wooden post or bolt threads into a hole or slot in the top. On Streamliners, the bottom end of the threaded Tuneomatic post extends into a simple drilled holes. While the hole in the top could be a little snug, only the bridge base is actually threaded. I believe my 6120 has separate pins (not the TOM posts), and the top is slotted so the bridge can slide forward and back for intonation, but not side to side.

I’m not sure which system is used on the Rat Rods, but even if it is the threaded posts, they shouldn’t have bitten significantly into the sides of the holes.

People do sometimes use violin rosin or even carpet tape under the bridge base on unpinned models, but I don’t know why a dealer would do that to a Rat Rod.

3. olson_jimmy

olson_jimmy Electromatic

Aug 3, 2020
    Clarksville, TN
    Yes, all rat rod are a fixed bridge

4. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Gretsch calls it “secured”, the same word they use for the Streamliner bridge bases. Those are pinned but not glued down. Do they actually GLUE the Rat Rod bridge bases down???

Spdcc138 likes this.
  5. Spdcc138

Spdcc138 Electromatic

Jun 16, 2020
    Texas
    Yeah after some research it is a secured bridge I guess the one part of the guitar you can’t mod

6. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    The point I’m trying to clarify is that secured does not necessarily mean permanently attached. I suspect that the threaded posts of the TOM bridge have just bitten into the sides of the hole slightly.

I know @TSims1 replaced the bridge base on his Rat Rod.

If the holes were drilled a little small, and IF the TOM posts are the bridge pins as they are on the Streamliner, you might be able to remove it gently by unscrewing the TOM posts. Just remove the TOM, screw a hex nut down onto the post until it meets the adjuster wheel, then turn the adjuster to back out the post.

7. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I've had mine for a few days now. Matte black finish. I put a Chet arm on it and it looks like it should have been that way from the factory. This is my first Gretsch so I'm new to Filter'Trons. I'm loving the thinner body as it feels just right, and I'm really liking the pickups. It's a well made guitar and sounds really nice. Hard to beat for the price. I'm already wanting another Gretsch. I think the finish is going to wear off relatively quickly with repeated contact with a sweaty arm. I wipe it down every time but I think it will show signs of wear faster than another type of finish. Will look pretty cool though in keeping with the Rat Rod theme.

Someone should have warned me how addictive Gretsch guitars are..

azrielle and MyGirlGretta like this.
  8. j_double_u

j_double_u Electromatic

Great looking guitars. I love the thinner body as an alternatieve to the 5420. What I Dont like is the name. A ratrod should be scruffy looking. It should have had a relic finish imho. Compared to the gretsch hotrods, the ratrods are way too luxurious. It should have had the barebones hotrodwiring with just a pickupswitch and a mastervolumeknob. And they should have given it unbound 'anniversary' fholes.

...or, they've should have picked another name.

(in short: the ratrod should have been the budget electromatic version of a Setzer Hotrod.)

9. 33Jayman

33Jayman Electromatic

Mar 31, 2018
    Marne, Michigan
    I finally plugged one in today. I loved it. It played very nicely and I really think Gretsch did a great job on the design and specs. The shop that I was at only had the white on hand and they had the primer gray in their warehouse. Wasn't terribly thrilled with white.

Jayman

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    A thinner body is nice, but those red pickups just look out of place.

capnhiho and 33Jayman like this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Most likely it is identical to the 5420 which is also called secured. The posts supporting the bridge thread down through the bridge base and thread into the guitar body. It is easy to just replace the bridge base with a floating one.

Secured

C1D9226B-181D-46CF-88A8-782E68DC6824.jpeg

Pinned

F57EC5B7-9BF8-4A79-B967-A6BFEB45DE95.jpeg

12. MyGirlGretta

MyGirlGretta Gretschie

Jul 23, 2012
    CA
    Holy moly. Amazing! Your pops did a fantastic job!

capnhiho likes this.
  13. BoundandPurfled

BoundandPurfled Gretschie

Mar 22, 2012
    Oregon
    Double cut double cut double cut. Day 1 preorder
    That’s is all.

make it happen Joe

14. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    My_Guitars_42221SM1.jpg I have been very pleasantly surprised by the acoustic qualities and easy playing neck of my recently online-purchased (sight unseen, as it were, from Zzounds) G5410T flat black Rat Rod, which kinda fulfilled my childhood (1967) fantasy of owning a Gretsch Blackhawk.
    It is fully hollowbody except for an under-the-bridge center post similar to what you'll find in your typical bass fiddle/violin.
    I don't use the Bigsby much; to tell you the truth, if it had been available as an OPTION, I would have opted out.
    And I absolutely adore the red accents. "Out of place"? I don't think so!

sgarnett and gtttrrr like this.
  15. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I really DIG the red pickups, not a drawback to me at all. Great looking guitar, congrats to all new owners!

sgarnett and azrielle like this.
  16. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I played a Fiesta Red Tricolor yesterday. I like the red inserts of the matte Rods, but I’m not crazy about the new pearloid inserts. That aside, it’s a very comfortable guitar to play!

azrielle likes this.
  17. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I don't think the Rat Rod is for me, just like matt finish cars - just not my thing. But then again, that's the great thing about people, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same. There's a guitar for every one - in fact for lots of lucky people, there seems to be lots of guitars for everyone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.