What are you eating on Christmas day?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by The Marlin, Dec 25, 2013.

1. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    My wife is Italian, and their big day is Christmas Eve. Every year, we put on a huge Christmas eve feast for 20 or so people.

They don't eat meat on Christmas eve, so it's very fish and veg focused. I've been a fish eating vegetarian for 30 years, so it's the one day of the years I can eat exactly the same food as everyone else.

My wife and I spent 12 hours solid cooking on the kitchen in readiness. This is the full menu for the day.

Six different canapés.

Razor thin sliced courgettes, griddled, and stuffed.
    Peppers roasted, skinned, and stuffed with haloumi - then roasted
    Polenta grilled with goats cheese and roasted tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes and bocconcini with olives
    Chicory with home made humus and olives
    ...i forgot the other one....

Then -

lentil soup
    Marinated salmon (i marinated it for three days in soy, honey, ginger and garlic)
    homemade pasta with fresh tuna and olives
    Cauliflower risotto with home made veg stock
    Calamari with a crispy fine batter
    Whitebait - with thin crumb batter
    bacalao
    Salad

and a ton of Italian cakes my wife made.

The while thing took five hours to eat.

More of the same again today at my brother in laws. I've made my main to today, which is melanzane alla parmigiana..... No turkey for me ;)

Stuffed from last night and it's lunchtime!!!!

Merry Christmas

Marlin :)

2. damacleod

damacleod Gretschie

Jan 19, 2012
    Wirral, UK
    That sounds fantastic Marlin. Our food fest is all focused on today. A mix of carnivores and vegetarians but we stick to fairly traditional fayre. Mushroom pate to start. Turkey, crisp belly pork or a veggie cottage pie, roast potatoes and parsnips, sprouts with walnuts, yorkshire puds, honeyed carrots. Eton mess and/or Xmas pud, followed by a nice old Stilton with port. Rounded off with espresso and waffffer thin mints, sir.

3. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Can I eat at your house ?

4. PDogga

PDogga Gretschie

Jul 3, 2011
    Perth
    We're pommies that now live down under and this year we left the UK traditional Christmas fodder behind and went Aussie. Shrimps on the barbie, loads of salads - grilled fish and a pavlova. Was great. Though I have to admit, I still made roast potatoes - I just couldn't see it through without roast potatoes.

Merry Christmas all.

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'm eating at my sisters today so it's a surprise . Talk about a 12 hour job , I sure miss the plumb - pudding from years ago . When I was a kid , all the adults would prepare the ingrediance for almost a day and a half . I even think one time it was cooked ( boiled ) overnight while they took turns watching it .It looked like a large hamburger when it was done , like 18 inches wide . Miss those traditions

6. Wow. You guys go all out. It's just the four If us this year. Small meal. Lots of cookies though.

7. JaygLongBeach

JaygLongBeach Country Gent

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern California
    Wow Marlin...sounds delicious

We're doing our traditional mix of everything;
    Roast lamb, roast chicken, baked salmon, grilled mushrooms, lots of bubbly

Merry Christmas

8. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    Ham. Eggs benedict for breakfast.

9. wpgjazzman

wpgjazzman Gretschie

Nov 28, 2008
    Winnipeg Canada
    Southern fried chicken, mashed potatoes and chicken gravy, mashed turnips, French-style green beans with red peppers, whole-berry cranberry sauce, sour kraut perogies, Jim Beam shots, PBR, blueberry pie with very high calorie ice cream followed by 20mg Lipitor.

Merry Christmas everyone

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  10. elguapo776

elguapo776 Gretschie

Feb 5, 2010
    San Diego
    Merry Christmas Everyone!

Down here in SoCal my family will be having the traditional Mexican meal of tamales! We've got them stuffed with pork or chicken with red sauce, or with California chilies stuffed with Monterey Jack cheese. My family makes them in huge batches so we can eat them through New Years. We'll also freeze some for eating later in the new year as well. They're very tasty!

Feliz Navidad!

11. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    My family is pretty german. I'm used to ham and hot german potato salad and wassail with brandy amongst other things. This year my aunt is making chili and none of my immediate family is very excited about it.

I'm of the mind that the holiday isn't about what you eat but who you're eating with.

12. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    at christmas eve it was a bunch of different cheeses
    and today tomato soup, after that pork with pickles saus and for dessert mirengue with ice cream, chocolat mousse and fruit
    but now i feel like belgian fries with samurai and a bicky!

13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I'm Italian too and it's tradition to eat fish not meat. We would eat calamari in the gravy or spaghetti sauce as the Americans say. But they would still make some meat. But lots of fish, fish salad, shrimp, etc. same here in New Orleans lots of fried fish. And they deep fry turkeys here too, along with crawfish and all the rest of the Cajun tradition. My wife and I are empty nesters and our daughter is working today so we celebrated with her yesterday. Today it just us for a nice quiet holiday and we are making prime rib for two, and the dog.

14. earoach

earoach Synchromatic

May 3, 2010
    west of the city
    That sounds like a great spread, Marlin! For me and the Mrs., a roasted prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, asparagus, a salad. Taking it easy.

15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    we had Mexican yesterday with tamales. That is some of my favorite food. Feliz Navidad to you and yours

16. TC6119

TC6119 Country Gent

Feb 10, 2013
    Iceberg Alley
    Baked Turkey is the main dish here with all the fixings. Lots of vegetables, dressing and gravy. A variety of desserts, cakes, cookies etc.
    All washed down with a nice Merlot :)

17. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    The two most important words in a mans life. PRIME RIB.

18. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Ditto. That's what we're having too. It's cooking right now and the aroma is to die for. Can't wait to dig in once more family gets here for the meal.

19. earoach

earoach Synchromatic

May 3, 2010
    west of the city
    Ours is roasting now, will have horseradish and au jus with it. I make a pretty mean Yorkshire pudding, too. I am so hungry...:)

20. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    All of y'alls food sounds great!

We had ham, green beans, my special macaroni and cheese, deviled eggs, corn casserole, homemade cheesecake with strawberry sauce.
    Washed down with a variety of wines!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.