What are the streamliners like

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by JaredmacNeil90, Oct 13, 2021 at 3:12 PM.

1. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    Has anyone tried the new streamliners would tv Jones be a direct fit ? How would that work are they China or Korean?

2. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    They're good guitars!
    You can fit tv jones in there, you would need the Universal mount.
    Attaching the pickups to the rings would be a direct fit, but with some work you could also fit them the traditional gretsch way.
    I'm not sure since i don't own one but i Think they're indonesian

3. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I’m not sure I actually saw one in person

4. Depends on how long you cook them. An hour 40 at 350 is about right

5. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I got 2622t 6 months ago. New player, love mine. Indonesian made, killer outta the box. Dunno how much TV's cost, but might be worth looking at a higher end Gretsch if the expense will be the same & it suits your needs.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 4:54 PM
    mrfixitmi, Archtops and MrWookiee like this.
  6. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    I have a 2622 that I really like. Very nice construction and finish; hard to beat for the money. I replaced the neck pickup with a single coil in a humbucker mount without any issues. Here are some close up pictures. While not a difficult process, the TV Jones tubing kit was very helpful.

New pickup ready to mount

Neck Pickup 3.jpg

Stock pickup coming out

Neck pickup 2.jpg Neck Pickup.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 4:52 PM
    LeSainte, mrfixitmi, Archtops and 2 others like this.
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have a 2420T that I bought 4 years ago. Unbeatable quality for the price.

mrfixitmi, gjohnson441496 and ALS57 like this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Celsius or Fahrenheit?

SAguitar, Archtops and Marv666 like this.
  9. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I love my G2627T and have modded but not replaced the pickups. At the risk of committing heresy/blasphemy, the Custom Shop White Falcon someone graciously allowed me to play at the SoCal Jam this year didn't feel any different than the Streamliner to my (beginner guitarist) hands. Someday, maybe I'll be skilled enough to perceive a difference(s) other than tone.

10. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Me too. Fantastic value, and excellent with some hardware upgrades

11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yes, they're great guitars and high quality for the small price.
    They're made in Indonesia, at least the latest.
    The pickups are standard HB sized so there are a million that will install easily.

I bought two G2622s in 2020 and they are fantastic.

12. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I had a 2655T Streamliner Jr a few years ago. Fantastic guitar for the price. They're made in Indonesia.

There were a few flaws on mine: the finish was a little sloppy in places, and I found that the stock pickups sounded muddy. But the guitar was structurally well-built, and it felt great to play. I really enjoyed it.

I eventually traded up to an Electromatic, and there was a noticeable jump in quality there. If a used Electromatic is in the budget, I think it's a better buy than a new Streamliner. But Streamliners are fine guitars in their own right, and the new ones look really nice.

I'm not sure whether TVJs will fit into a P90 Streamliner, but they'll fit into a regular one. You'd need the Universal Mount-style pickups, along with EM2 pickup rings.

There's a thread by @Davis Sharp detailing the process for replacing pickups in a 2655 Streamliner. It's a bit of a project, but it's doable.

mrfixitmi and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  13. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Gretschie

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    I have a 2420. The quality is superb and it sounds great. I like the Broadtron pickups that came with it

mrfixitmi and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  14. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    I've seen some bargain 2nd hand streamliners in the UK, my 2420 was £215 and it was mint

mrfixitmi and Archtops like this.
  15. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    As always, try before you buy, if possible. Best of luck!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  16. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Streamlinets are great.

A few flaws, one of the most common being the nut badly filed at G string -which de-tune when bigsby-ing - but easy to fix.

Also on mine paint is not fully neat on the f-holes, but who cares?

20211014_220413.jpg

BroadTrons are great pickups, they clearly have that Great Gretsch Sound too.

Quality of the build is fine and provided the set-up is OK, playability is stunning for the price.

And as far as I know, they're all made in Indonesia, at least the hollow and semi-hollow ones.

Archtops and mrfixitmi like this.
  17. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    My son just received his G2655T in Sapphire Blue with the P90's. This Jr Streamliner has the center block double cut. It was offered as a "Demo". He saved enough as a "demo" to buy the G2655T hard case, and had enough left over to buy a new set of Schaller strap locks. It came shipped with all the case candy, no scratches, no dents. The set up was so good that I tried to make the intonation better, but it was perfect as well as the low action. The only thing I could see was that the polyfilm was missing from one of the pickups. Every other surface had polyfilm, and the foam block knob protectors. Maybe this is a way to sell overstocked guitars at a great deal, by removing one piece of polyfilm and calling it "demo". The finish, the frets, were also flawless.

He needed something more aggressive to play in the upcoming musical Jesus Christ Superstar.

This guitar plays well clean, and really comes alive with distortion.

Owning several Duo Jets, Two Pro Jets, a Falcon, a Country Gent, a Super Chet, a G5120, Several Gretsch Acoustic Guitars, I was very surprised at this value. We may change the paint on the F-Holes to dark cream to match the bindings/knobs. At this stage, I can't think of much else, other than a jack plate.

18. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I think the Streamliners are an excellent value and look and play great. The stock pups are more Gibson like which is fine by me but I actually bought mine to install a set (missed them after I sold my 6120N) of Filtertrons that I purchased from TV Jones . I decided not to deal with drilling and filing and adapter plates so I purchased the humbucker sized classic filtertrons that should be an easier switch. My luthier is backed up so I have no idea when they will get installed.

Here are the pups from TV Jones that will be going in my G2410TG.
    [​IMG]

19. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I can't speak for the whole line of them; I just picked up a used 2420T (single cut, hollow body, "licensed" Bigsby).
    Overall, a nice guitar, and the Broadtrons in this one are probably going to stay. They're surprisingly good in this guitar. Replacing them with TV Jones would probably cost me more than what I paid for the guitar. The guitars aren't Chinese OR Korean (Indonesian, I believe).

mrfixitmi and MrWookiee like this.
  20. LeSainte

LeSainte Electromatic

Oct 4, 2021
    New York
    I've played a couple at my local guitar stores. I'm not really a huge electric gutar player, but I do love me a hollow-body.

The two that I played (Don't know the models exactly) both felt great. I know for a fact that one of the stores I go to doesn't set the guitars up before putting them out, so my experience was basically out of the box.

mrfixitmi and MrWookiee like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.