Gretsch Falcon
Gretsch G6168G
Gretsch G6120
Rickenbacker 660/12
Rickenbacker Colorado
Guild JF 30/12
Dobro 33M

Hey Lou,

I've never been able to find one...but I'm still looking.

This one just might be essential, when it becomes available, hopefully in September.

Best,

BIB.

Mal.jpg

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
+1. Maybe even less is truly essential. An acoustic is an absolute must, a is a good electric and amp. You should be able to play your repertoire on either. I don’t need nylon or 12 string guitars for what I play. I have five electrics and any of them could be my only electric, but I’d sure miss the others. Gretsch / TV Jones humbuckers and PAF humbuckers are really different beasts. I can do without PAF buckets for what I play. Fender single coils and Gretsch are both good even though they’re not the same. I’d strongly recommend going for quality, even if it means leaving gaps. That doesn’t mean uber expensive, but the good stuff is worth saving for.

In my world, the essential is the amp I play through. A low power tube amp or a tube amp with a 5 watt setting is a must. View attachment 186745 View attachment 186746 View attachment 186747
These don’t check all the boxes but they cover the essentials.
I got by with just an acoustic for years. It was enough to keep me happy.
It was harder not having access to a keyboard nearby.

Horse Nation

Gretschie
Jun 7, 2022
new york
Every serious guitar player - pro or bedroom - needs the following:

- single coil guitar
- humbucker guitar
- acoustic guitar
- solid body
- hollow body
- 12 string guitar

Lou Coppolino

Synchromatic
Jul 23, 2022
Howell, NJ
Hey Lou,

I've never been able to find one...but I'm still looking.

This one just might be essential, when it becomes available, hopefully in September.

Best,

BIB.

View attachment 186750

Neal

Electromatic
Oct 12, 2013
Virginia
For me to feel that all is right in my guitar world, I should have:

A really old, beat-up 1930's or 1940's Gibson acoustic. An L-00, LG-2 or J-45 would do. Nothing else makes that sound.
A modern acoustic six string flattop with pickup (mine is a sitka-rosewood Huss & Dalton dreadnought).
A maple Guild 12-string.
A Dobro or National Resonator.
A tele.
A Filtertron-equipped Gretsch hollowbody.
A Dynasonic-equipped Gretsch hollowbody.
Perhaps an acoustic archtop.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I would differentiate between "essential" for me -personally- or for having the tools to cover the most ground for recording.
For me it would be a Strat and a Flying V.

For professional recording I think a Tele, a Strat, a Les Paul, something with P90ies, a good archtop, a Nylon-string, a 6 string acoustic and a twelve-string would be good to have at hand.

Stingray70

Electromatic
Oct 18, 2021
Michigan
I don't really think there is any guitar or guitars that are "essential" unless it's maybe it's a 6 string acoustic. I dont think there are many guitar players out there that would want to be without a good acoustic. Otherwise it's all a matter of personal taste. Having said that, if I had to I could get by just fine with a good Martin acoustic, a Fender HSS Strat and a Gibson 335. For over a decade in my teens and 20's all I had was a Martin acoustic and an Electra X-130. For those unfamiliar it's a hard tail, super strat clone that was made in Japan in the early 80's with dual humbuckers and coil taps that I still own and will never sell. If I could only have one electric guitar that would be the one.

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
No specific guitar is essential. A guitar is essential if you want to make music ON GUITAR and that is it.

That said I am highly partial to Gretsches and Fender offsets. 😎

RagnarHairybreeks

Gretschie
Aug 1, 2022
Gloucester England
This ancient piano black Fender. I’ve owned it, abused it and taken frustrations out on it for decades. It will never, ever, leave me. It is actually specifically written into my will that it goes to my daughter and she is required to keep it until she can hand it on to her children with the same codicil. EA84D48D-A97A-41DF-B88A-6C06DBE35F1D.jpeg

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
You need a Stella.
I always wanted one, but I ended up buying a Bruno Regal.
It sounds ok, but I suspect the L1 would sound better. :)
A guy from Canada in a band we opened for a few years ago in Cardiff had one. It was absolute bonkers. I can’t play Robert Johnson, but if I could that thing would have helped me a lot.

Lou Coppolino

Synchromatic
Jul 23, 2022
Howell, NJ
I always wanted one, but I ended up buying a Bruno Regal.
It sounds ok, but I suspect the L1 would sound better. :)
A guy from Canada in a band we opened for a few years ago in Cardiff had one. It was absolute bonkers. I can’t play Robert Johnson, but if I could that thing would have helped me a lot.

My grandfather gave me his C. Bruno parlour guitar many moons ago.

It's currently unplayable.

My luthier told me it should be a birds nest.

I still have it as a family heirloom.

Maguchi

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
IMO:

Gibson 335
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul P 90
Gibson J 185
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Fender Esquire
Gretsch Falcon
Gretsch G6168G
Gretsch G6120
Rickenbacker 660/12
Rickenbacker Colorado
Guild JF 30/12
Dobro 33M
Tele
Strat
maybe Jazzmaster
PJ Bass (P Bass with added J bridge pickup)
Les Paul
ES-335
SG
LP Special P90s
Firebird
Flying V
Explorer
Gibson L-4 or L-5
Gretsch Nashville
Tennessee Rose
Country Gentleman
Martin D-28 or HD-28