what amps do you guys use?

cookieman15061

Electromatic
Jul 13, 2009
pittsburgh
My VOX AC15 and my Blues Jr. do quite well for most venues I play now days.
VOXAC15004.jpg

fenders001.jpg

hotraman

Gretschie
Mar 18, 2009
Camas, Wa
I play thru a few:

Mesa Express 5:25
Jazzkat Tomkat
MB 200 bass head into a Sica 15" cab
VHT Ultra 6 tube amp head ( coming soon)

Scottishblue13

Gretschie
May 14, 2011
Scotland
amx05462 said:
dont know about the newer ones but m ad120 vt had two 12ax7s in it

my current amps.... fender twin reverb and vox ac-30

Yes the valvetronix do but there is now the third series of them out. I owned the vt100 which had 1 12ax7 in it.

The Marlin

Friend of Fred
Feb 2, 2011
London...ish
I had the VT100, I just didn't get on with it, and it behaved quite oddly. Its not an amp I would trust on stage, and very loud for a practice amp. It also benifited from a better valve (I used a top of the range Tung Sol) - it shouldn't make a difference, but it did.

Anyway, as it was unpredictable (it also amplified mains noise - it went nuts when the vacume cleaner was on), I got rid of it..... about 6 months after I bought it.

I think the VT does good Vox and Marshall tones, but the Flextone 3 does better Fender tones, and is much more usable.

Saying that' I've not used my Flextone 3 in a year and a half. My modded VC30 is getting a lot of attention lately - it's noisy, but when you crank it up, it really rocks. Those Celestions made a HUGE improvment.

I'm lucky to have three superb valve amps (hopefully a 4th next years - Blondshell). So, the Line6 doesn't get a look in. I'll sell it cheap if anyone fancies one.......

Scottishblue13

Gretschie
May 14, 2011
Scotland
I had the vt100 for a year and played a handful of gigs with it. I found it solid and reliable but far too big, heavy and loud. The power attenuator sapped the tone if turned down and with it turned up could hardly get to 2 on the master vol at band practice. It was also very sterile to play through kinda like a robot with not much scope for playing dynamics.
Sold it an bought a marshall dsl401 which I'm really enjoying

mikante

Country Gent
Aug 11, 2009
italy
Fender silver face princeton reverb, but no cone right now, broke my original jensen c10 (just bough on ebay) trying to install it without taking out the reverb tank, must admit, that's a dumb one!
The stock fender is now broke too, I dropped it when I was replacing it with the jensen, must admit, that's a dumb one too!
Mean while I had a celestion gold sold on ebay and now I got no speaker and no money, must admit, ok you already know that!

gigatron

Country Gent
Oct 9, 2008
Slovenia
Mikante, I have the Jensen C10 speaker from my Princeton Reverb reissue sitting in a box, since I replaced it with the JBL. Want it?

mikante

Country Gent
Aug 11, 2009
italy
Mikante, I have the Jensen C10 speaker from my Princeton Reverb reissue sitting in a box, since I replaced it with the JBL. Want it?

Thank you Giga, but I think I'm going to re-cone the vintage jensen, even though the stock paper is gone the whole speaker is still a valuable piece, I don't want to just throw it away, must call weber and see if they can do something about it.

gigatron

Country Gent
Oct 9, 2008
Slovenia
OK, there's a lot to be said to keeping a vintage amp as close to stock as possible. These days Jensens are made in Italy. Maybe they could do it at the factory, saving you the cost of two-way international shipping.

hoodoovoodoo9

Electromatic
Sep 2, 2011
Regina, Sk, Canada
Fender '59 Bassman RI - 4x10s that can keep up with any cab i've come across but i get the TONE
1967 Sears Silvertone - This thing needs a pile of TLC that i just haven't found the gumption to get at.
Mid 80's Peavey with a 15" Yamaha PA speaker swapped into it.

But i'm dying for an AC30; have been for years.

bopcat

Electromatic
Sep 9, 2010
uk
my gigging amp is Fender Blues Deluxe re-issue and Fender Champ XD for home playing

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
If a person wants a Vox buy a Vox if a person wants Fender buy a fender if a person wants variety without buying a lot of amps buy the Mesa mark five 25, 35, 90.

Last edited:

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
I downsized before leaving Tennessee for Missouri. Because I was moving into my daughter's family home to help with grandkids, I was going to have much less room for my "stuff," so some things just had to go.

These are the amps I play through now (along with a Fishman ToneDeq when I play acoustic straight in the PA system at church) - Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Vox AC10, Fender Acoustic SFX.
Amps 1.JPG

Before I bought the Fender Acoustic SFX, I had found a good deal on a Fender Acoustisonic PR370. This sucker is 65lbs, and at my age, that's just too much weight to be lugging around anywhere, so I was going to get rid of it in Tennessee. I have an Epiphone Masterbilt dreadnaught that has stereo outputs, so Before I gave up this amp, wanted to play it through my 2 acoustic SFX amps. The sound that I heard was so heavenly that this amp made the cut and headed to Missouri. It's not the best looking, but I love the "stereo field" sound of the Fender's acoustic SFX amps. Oh, and this amp only gets moved with a dolly. I already spend enough time at the chiropractor's office.

Sorry about the horse blanket in the foreground.

20211009_144050[1].jpg 20210531_183135.jpg