What amp do you use with your Gretsch?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bluesman61, Mar 31, 2013.

1. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

yep, Mike, you were sounding pretty good Saturday night.

2. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Nope none at all. I really like these stands, they are stable, heavy duty and light. It puts the amp up were none of that great tone is wasted!

3. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    OH NOOOOOOO!! NEVAH!! I won the Playboy at the Northwoods Jam and it has such intense wonderful memories attached to it!! The Exec was a deal too good to let go, from Drmilktrk. I have owned tons of amps in the last 40 years abd nothing compares with these two! The Playboy is in the parlor with the Prom Queen and the Exec is downstairs with the band set up. I also have an beautiful little Legend amp about the size of a Mesa Boogie mach1 that I am thinking of having Mugsy turn into a Delisle creation. It has a hybrid amp now, two tube preamps and a solid state power amp. I am thinking class A with like 40 watts, two 6l6s for that deep clean tone. Just dreaming right now. I also have an Alamo bassman clone that needs an overhaul for my son to play bass through, that will be the first to go to Mugsy.

4. unbridled

unbridled Country Gent

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    MusicMan HD150 head w/ whatever cab I have at the time (Usually an old 2x12 no-name w/ old Peavey speakers) It's a great head that is "backwards" to most amps, because of its SS preamp and tube (6l6) power section.

Usually, though, I just use my workhorse Fender Princeton Chorus. I know, it's not a tube amp, and not expensive, but it does clean better than any amp around, has great reverb, and takes pedals very well. It's been through hell and keeps going.

For small solo shows, I sometimes use a tiny (8" 20 watt) practice amp, pointed back towards me and miced up. The only reason I do that is because I have yet to find a decent effects unit to DI into the PA that doesn't sound sterile.

5. unbridled

unbridled Country Gent

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my Princeton Chorus has been "modded." When I was 18 or 19, I broke the shaft off of the bass pot. Not really knowing anything about different value or taper pots at the time, I just dug around my parts bin and found a pot from an old mixer that I could get to fit the space on the circuit board and soldered it in. The result is a very responsive control with a much deeper tone than before. It's been like that ever since with no problems. I'd rather be lucky than good...

6. marz

marz Electromatic

Jan 7, 2012
    Lakeville, MN
    Thanks Brent! Your Gibson is a sweet sounding amp too! I'm guessing they might actually be somewhat similar on the insides - is that a 6v6 amp?

I get a kick out of playing clean through the Macht 13 because most of the folks that play them use them for distortion, but I find that I really love the sound of it before it starts to break up.

7. SuperB23

SuperB23 Gretschie

Jan 5, 2009
    Bay Area California
    Top Hat Super Deluxe

[​IMG]

8. knavel

knavel Country Gent

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    1962 Fender Tremolux in a Vibrolux cabinet I had made - since the 61-63 Vibrolux and Tremolux brownface amps were exactly the same only in different cabinet configurations and because the combo cabs of the time were brown tolex while my preference is the piggyback style oxblood/blonde colors but a combo configuration.

The Fender flat logo is on there now and I did the same thing for the reverb unit: 1962 original that was in a brown / wheat cab and stuck the chassis in a modern blonde / oxblood reverb unit cab that I had made (since Fender never did an oxblood/blonde reverb unit in the original days).

Attached Files:

9. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    Well, Bluesman61, in theory that amp or maybe a Super Reverb from that same time would be my 1st and 2nd choices.

I like my Cybertwin quite a bit, because it adapts with quiet backgrounds and performance situations too. I also own a '63 Pro which is good when pushed a bit, especially when some external reverb is applied.

I've also had the chance to hear Bobcat's Playboy, Marz's Savage, S Rock's Gibson, and whatever boutique amp Poppatwang is playing at the time. They all sound good to me. the main thing I've learned is that it's good to have an amp stand so you can hear what's going on in a performance situation. So now I must buy one.

Bobcat, what amp stand are you using?

Lee

10. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

thanks, Mike. I had just got it out of the shop. it has 2 EL84s. I was also using just a little bit of reverb for "taste". ;) oh, it still has the original 10 inch speaker that it came with.

11. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Lee, those are On Stage amp stands.

12. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I'll probably get stoned to death on this one, but I'm using a 30 Watt Peavy VYPYR. As you know, these are solid state modeling amps, and for the Gretsch sound I do use the Fender Deluxe setting the most, but boy do I have a ball with other tones I can get out of the thing with all the other settings & effects, especially now that I have TV Classics installed in my axe. For living room jams, this amp is plenty capable of blowing the windows out of the place (which my wife reminds me about all the time). I've played guitar for years and do not consider myself a professional player per se, just a regular guy who loves to play my 5120 more than any other guitar I've ever owned. I do however, have a hobby band I put together with a few jamming buddies. We play simply for fun, and did put on a private neighborhood block party last year where I miked my amp up through my 700 Watt PA system, and everyone was blown away by how good my guitar and amp combo sounded. So I was pleased to hear that. I'll shut up now so I can get ready to bleed to death from the stones. [:>)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  13. Mikus11

Mikus11 Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    London ON Canada
    Anyone running a silverface Fender like a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb?

I'm leaning towards the Princeton for home use, had a line on a nice one $600 but hesitated and lost it!

14. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Gretschie

Feb 20, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    An old Marshall Bass12 that I bought in England in the late '80s, along with my first bass.

15. Walkin Stiff

Walkin Stiff Gretschie

Apr 16, 2013
    Louisville
  16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Steve, welcome to the forum! Nice amp!

17. kidtwist

kidtwist Electromatic

Fender Deluxe Reverb RI, Princeton Reverb RI, and Vox AC15HW1x.

18. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    NOT BAD!!!

19. Walkin Stiff

Walkin Stiff Gretschie

Apr 16, 2013
    Louisville
    A Tweed for every need.
    Left to right:
    Blues Jr - heavily modded, Rev All-tone 1250 spkr
    Victoria 35210 - Weber 10A125 spkrs
    Fender BassBreaker - Celestion Vintage 30 spkrs

ForumRunner_20130427_115012.jpg

20. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl Electromatic

Apr 22, 2013
    Can I play even though my gretsch hasn't come in yet?

I usually use this: my trusty 1969 fender deluxe reverb.

[​IMG]

Sometimes when I'm feeling rowdy, I use this: a 1977 Marshall Super Bass

[​IMG]

There's also a '68 Bassman and some other stuff poking around...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.