What a relief!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I have to express my appreciation for this forum. It provides a relief from anxieties about politics, climate, social upheaval, fires, environmental degradation, covid worries, and the darkness which seems to permeate the world right now. When I really feel down, this is where I come. To spend a few moments here with friends I’ve never met, with the common interest in Gretsch guitars, is to escape this time and immerse myself in friendship and music, even as simply retiring to my music room and playing my guitar often does. I don’t know anyone’s political or religious position, and I don’t care. I don’t have to care, and I don’t have to know. Music & friendship. This is what the world should be. What else do we need? The rest is unimportant.

I hope this post doesn’t violate any rules. I would not want to be banned.

~Jelly Roll

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    MTurner, bhatta, stiv and 26 others like this.
  2. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

That all sounds good to me, Jelly.

thunder58 and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    As Billy Joel wrote in the song " The Piano Man " ......to forget about life for a while . Greatest place to hang out with friends I long to meet :)

4. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I come here - often - to get away from work. Like right now :)
    Music is my escape, and I really appreciate this community.
    Peng

Andrew Griffin and thunder58 like this.
  5. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Well said

thunder58 likes this.
  6. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Nice that this works out!

Until September, 2018, I employed a piece of black fur, stuffed with a ton of love, for that purpose. Or he used me for, like, elevation services, nutrition, ... I wonder how he weighed only 3.3 kg with a ton of love inside ... I know it was there ... hm ... the mystery of cat's anatomy, likely to never be solved (they also never break, no matter where they fall down from, can be twisted and tweaked and bowed and stretched, and yet, stay in shape ... hard to destroy, it seems...).

Worries suck, yet they're never gonna disappoint you by just not showing up at all - even if it seems so, they wait for you somewhere...

Anyway ... I guess having a method that works is healthy and stuff ... although just putting it aside and not thinking about won't ever solve a problem, no matter how much is piled up - everybody needs and deserves a break sometimes. Worries may be justified, but worrying won't do anything for anyone either...

Or so. Anyway, nice it works out!

7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Works for me. If a person spends to much time reading, watching or thinking about the current world events they would have a difficult time getting through the day. Rough times right now, that is for sure.

8. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    It's amazing what happens when we all relinquish our badges of whatever and just seek common ground. I try to approach the madness in doses that I feel I can responsibly digest. But sometimes, I bite off more than I can chew. For me, music is the core touchstone and even though I'm quite the newbie here, I'm super grateful to have this place as another conduit to that touchstone.

Play more music.

new6659 and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  9. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Heard this on some Netflix show last night. I had to look it up, and it seems appropriate here:

There are good ships,
    and there are wood ships,
    And ships that sail the sea.
    But the best ships, are friendships,
    And may they always be.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's what makes this site one of the best I've ever encountered. It's like an island of tranquility in the stormy cesspool of the internet.

I lost my black furry love sponge in August 2018. Difference is that mine was a 125 pound (60+ kilos) of Labrador/Great Pyrenees. We've had over a dozen cats over the years, and they're great little furballs, but dogs are special to me.

11. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I agree completely what has just been said. This is the best folks I have had the pleasure to be around.
    Wish I could see every one in person. Folks here are just like me. I am a fan of guitar players and music lovers.

12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    One of the reasons I am so adamant about keeping political topics off the forum is to preserve this as a haven. Since I first became aware that there was an outside world, greater than my community, greater than my family, the crises have been pretty much non-stop. There's always something on the front page, and usually it's not pleasant. I live in the same world as everyone else here, and I am concerned by many things that happen, but I'm not going to settle these matters here.

One thing that has always amazed me is the agreeableness of many people. There are people with whom I differ vehemently about some issues, yet I like them and care about them. I have found that music is a wonderful way to meet people and a wonderful way to establish common bonds. That's what I think this forum is for.

I will leave with a small anecdote regarding the power of music. Clutch Draggin' and the Lug Nuts, got its start playing car shows and some small community events. Because these weren't "bar gigs", we had a fair number of children in the audience and I always got a kick out of seeing their reaction to live music.

One I particularly remember was a young boy that was overweight and didn't look particularly happy. I can only surmise that he took a lot of harassment because of his weight and you could tell that he was accustomed to not fitting in with others. When his family arrived, he sat with them, off to the side, but I noticed that as time passed, he began to move closer to the music and soon was sitting directly in front of the band, obviously enjoying the music. I don't imagine that we changed his life, but it was very gratifying to see this child emerge his shell, if only for the duration of the gig. Perhaps he'll emerge from his shell more often in the future, but at least we helped for one day. Such is the power of music.

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    "Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast." It's a universal thing, able to transend language. Even if one doesn't understand the words, the music alone will suffice.

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    It is not only about music here.
    I feel that people here care for each other.

There are quite a few threads here that deeply touched me that do not have anything to do with music.
    I think that this forum draws a lot of good people and I applaud our fine moderators for paving the way for good people by "setting the tone".

15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    While the outside world is not all love, peace, and happiness, this Gretsch forum is structured to maintain a comfortable place to hang out with others and share a common interest, guitars and all things music.

If one has to wear their politics, and the crazy world events on their sleeves, only to inject their ferver in posting, this is the wrong Gretsch forum.

There are other Gretsch forums that will be more than happy to entertain, and "feed your need" for this sort of BS.

The rules are simple, the moderation is transparent and well executed, and it makes this place a very relaxing place to hang out.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  16. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Couldn't agree more, Jelly Roll!

17. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks, Jelly Roll, you are absolutely correct. I have often had reason to speculate on the sheer humanity of music; on the fact that only humans create music. And of course, a Gretsch guitar is a great way to make music!

18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well said, I don't watch the news, since the little one has come along I don't really watch tv at all these day, even before her it was mostly netflix and movies, I don't listen to the radio much, more spotify and music streaming and i'm not of facebook so I avoid a lot of the media which is good, between a handful of friends/wok mates and my family this is the only real socializing I do at this point in time.

This forum is a great place to hang out, and like all good places it is the people that make it great.

G5422T likes this.
  19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve watched very little broadcast TV in my adult life. There are a couple of online news sources I cross-check, but that’s about it.

Radio has lost me as well. I tended to listen while driving, and even had Sirius XM for a while, but as a full time teleworker, I’m doing good to drive an hour per week, so I **** off Sirius. I used to listen to broadcast radio, but these days the ratio of commercials to music is unfavorable.

I try to eliminate the negative from my life. That isn’t to say that I ignore problems, but I don’t dwell on matters which are beyond my ability to influence. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there have been a series of crises since my first awareness of world and national events. I’ve never influenced the outcome of any crises, not once, never. So I go about my business and try to stay out of harm’s way.

Jelly Roll Horton and Stefan87 like this.
  20. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    This is an oasis. I was young man old when I saw my first Gretsch hanging on that wall. Twenty or thirty amps later, here we are. The stories, questions, and NGD's fuel a kindred spirit of pickers and grinners who know that music is the universal language. May all your Bigsbys keep you in tune with what really matters.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.