What 6 string model is closest to Mike Nesmith's 12 string?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by gretschguy, Mar 4, 2011.

1. gretschguy

gretschguy Electromatic

Mar 4, 2011
    California
    Dear Furum,

I read that one of Mike Nesmith of the Monkees Gretsch guitars was converted from a 6 string to a 12 string. And that a second one was made custom for him in the Gretsch factory.

I think the natural finish one was the factory 12 string right?
    I think I would like to make a reproduction of this guitar. Buy an absolute basket case 6 string, and make a new 12 string neck for it.
    Which 6 string guitar would be the best starting point? A country Gentleman or a Country Club model?

Thanks
    Chris

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts"]YouTube - The Monkees - I'm a Believer [official music video][/ame]
    [​IMG]

2. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
  3. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Yes they are remaking them. Did you noticed it's a 6120?

4. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

I think it's a typo. It looks like a 6122 with painted on F holes instead of real F holes. In the body of the text they call it a G6122-12.

5. blackvet

blackvet Electromatic

Something like this?

This was my project last year. It was a long, painstaking build but worth the struggle. I'll bet Mr Gretsch never used Home Depot maple :eek:

my favorite guitar:)

Attached Files:

6. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Blackvet, that is drop dead gorgeous!!

7. 68GuitarPlayer

68GuitarPlayer Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Clinton, Tn
    Nice nice nice! Do you have more pics of the build as you did it!?

8. gretschguy

gretschguy Electromatic

Mar 4, 2011
    California
    Are CC and CG models different?

Does the Country Club model have the same body dimensions and construction as the Nesmith 12 string? I would like to construct a reproduction similar to the one blackvet made, by replacing the headstock and modifying the fingerboard inlays.

Perhaps starting with a guitar like this one?

[​IMG]

I would need to drill and add that additional switch to the right of the bridge.
    I just am wondering if the bodies on the 60's gretsch guitars are all shaped the same or if they are different from model to model. Since I will be looking for a basket case natural finish guitar, from the 60's, I am wondering if I should only use a Country Gentleman for a base for my project, or if Country club models are the same (except for that extra switch)

Thanks

9. Nezdispenser

Nezdispenser Electromatic

Dec 15, 2010
    Medford OR
    Any double cut 17" body model will work for a conversion. Mikes had a flip up Mute so a Country Gent with one will be one less thing to reproduce.

Mike's converted 12 string was a Tennesean, NOT the natural double cut 12 you see in most of the TV shows. The converted guitar was only in the Pilot.

10. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Synchromatic

Jan 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, California
    Wow, great job! Like the neck inlays.

11. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    So, just out of curiosity, I wonder how much it cost Mike to have his CC back then, converted?

12. blackvet

blackvet Electromatic

The guitar pictured has the volume/tone knobs in a slightly different position than the Nemith 12 string. It's still sort of unclear how Mike Nesmiths 12 string came to be...I think it's safe to say the body is a Tennessan...not a Gent. It has a single mute also. For your project your best bet would be to find a "blond" Tennessian "project" guitar...one that has neck problems. The neck would have to be removed and replaced with a scratch-built one with a 12 string headstock. The tailpiece would also have to sourced... Sounds simple enough??? NOT! It turned out easier for me to start from scratch...

13. streed_2

streed_2 Electromatic

Dec 22, 2013
    nevada
    Nice job on the guitar build.
    I am looking for a tailpiece exactly like the one you have pictured here.
    Please tell me where I can get one or have one made.
    thank you,
    Steven Reed

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.