What’s your meat candy!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    A few years ago my mom (aged 85) started carmelizing bacon with brown sugar as part of some hors d'oeuvre and it's a nice change, but thick-cut bacon, cooked over a campfire in a cast iron skillet.....ugh! Wife and I took her son and my nephew and another friend camping and we went through 5 pounds of the stuff. Wife finally had to snag a few slices on the last batch before they came back for their final round, because she wasn't getting any breakfast if she didn't. They were eating it as soon as it hit the plate fresh off the fire (growing boys all of 13 years of age..man that was 17 years ago!!). Something about cast iron...and bacon....mmmmmm.​

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    GoLeafsGo and Bertotti like this.
  2. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I just have to say, as a professional chef, I love this thread right now more than all the normal Gretsch stuff; great to see what all of the fellow Gretschies like to eat!

3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Though not “meat,” I have to make my choice citrus-cured and smoked wild salmon, can never have enough especially with shaved red onion and fresh sprigs of dill on a fresh baked everything bagel

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Any suggestions from a chef’s POV of a meat candy to try? I fully intend to make candies bacon this weekend if not tomorrow. Tonight it was fried smoked sausage with red cabbage, sea same oil and stir fry sauce. Just off the shelf sauce not nearly spicy enough but still had a good flavor. One thing I stumbled on was once when I was cooking a meat but I have no idea which one it called for toasted mustard seeds. I had no idea that they would also pop like pop corn. I wound up popping mustard seeds and putting them on my forgotten meat dish. What a cool flavor! I wish I could remember what I was making, it was the first time and since I have forgotten obviously the last.

Chmason85 likes this.
  5. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    If you like that mustard flavor with some sweetness I would just take actual whole grain mustard, and cut it with honey or maple syrup, whichever is your preferred taste, maybe add some light brown sugar for a bit more caramelization and sweetness, and coat the bacon with it and pop it into a relatively low oven, like 300, and just check it. You will have to par-cook the bacon a bit; definitely cannot go from raw to candied. I personally like the thick cut smoked bacon cooked about 70% and then glazed up with the honey mustard mix and finished so it’s still got a little chew but the sugars and fat are rendering together. Definitely have a sheet tray with a rack; no rack and you’re in for a world of pain burning all that bacon straight onto a tray and trying to clean it afterwards. Let it cool so the sugars settle and don’t destroy your tongue and the roof of your mouth!

Bertotti likes this.
  6. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Also, if you like spice, make a peppercorn mix instead of an off the shelf sauce. No matter what the ingredient list is in a store bought sauce, there’s no saying what’s really in there. Making something yourself really gives you control over your own taste, and always fresh pepper you crack yourself!!! I always go fresh cracked black pepper for strength, white for delicate, and pink for sweet, and green if I can find it

Bertotti likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    But that's what I like about it! We'd do the same during bad Saturday afternoon movies when we were kids. Making sarcastic comments about what you're sitting thru is a way of life, and often the only way to maintain sanity.

Bertotti likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ah that’s the point I would much rather have some equally sarcastic friends over to chat over the movie than those guys. Doesn’t stop me watching if O have time while it’s one. They seem to dig up some really B rated old s info that was a huge blast as a kid. I could even live with their chattering just get rid of the heads! Off with their heads!

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    the first time I did candied bacon I did not use a rack! Lesson learned. Now Inise the grill.

When I have time I do to make my own seasonings. Lately I have been busy and too lazy for it. But I did dig my mortar and pestle out of the cupped a couple days ago. Nice sized Black Onyx! Oddly O find hand grinding my stuff together very rewarding and I can control the chunkiness. I’m not a fan of these powdered seasonings. I like some chunk to it. Apologies for the non cheffy terms! Thanks for the idea! I’m going to it this weekend. I have two pound of hickory smoked bacon cut about 1/8- 3/13” thick. I am also going to try yawing some Tabasco on a batch. That stuff is like liquid gold to me. I do have a cheap plastic pepper mill with a mix or green and black peppercorns in it. I need more mustard seeds. Hmm maybe Inshould get more bacon and make a egg and mustard potato salad with some of the bacon in it.

Chmason85 likes this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Anyone ever had bacon chew? It is shredded like chewing tobacco. The problem is it is very hard to keep it between the check and gum and not just chewing it up and eating it.

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Carne asada, wrapped in a homemade/restaurant made tortilla.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chmason85 and Bertotti like this.
  12. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
  13. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    Yup...that's what makes it so wonderful.

14. yellow

yellow Electromatic

Feb 28, 2019
    the netherlands

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  15. old mark

old mark Gretschie

Slices of ham with fresh pineapple...Just had some. Hard to top!

16. afire

afire Country Gent

I can't recall the last time I had it, but I actually always liked it. My mom would occasionally make me a fried Spam sandwich when I was a kid. I could eat one right now.

Spam musubi is high on my list of things to try.
    [​IMG]
    I can't get my wife onboard, but in the middle of typing this response, I just ordered a musubi mold. So, it's happening.

Sounds like maybe Indian to me. There's a lot of sputtering mustard seeds in Indian cooking.

17. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    Burger, man...wrapped in bacon, whole sliced strong onions, pickles, mealted jalapeno cheese, ...hold the lettuce and condiments, let the meat do the talkin'...
    Haw, jeez!...now I'm hungry!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.