What’s your meat candy!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Oct 12, 2020.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

I wouldn't have thought of it, but I think that might be my favorite meat of all. Plus, I just love eating a gyro - pick off bits of sauced up meat and eat some fries until I get just the right meat to bread ration, and the finish it off. I could use one right now. But I do keep it down to 2-3 times per year.

2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    LOL - yes indeed. I like to make sure the feta to meat to tzatziki ratio is just right. Is there anything more tender, sweet and savory all at the same time? I don't think so...

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Every major metro area had a local horror show host. Indy had Sammy Terry, Chicago had Svengoolie (who's still on the air!)

Smacznego! I grew up in my grandfather's grocery store helping to make the 'basi.

4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Blue fin Nigiri Sushi
    Dungeness Crab
    Bacon
    Halibut Cheeks

5. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    BBQ’d PorkChops. Mmmm

Bertotti likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The only liver I'll eat is Braunschweiger. Kiszka is just haggis with flavor.

It's hard to get the tzatziki just right, but when it is, it's amazing.

I do enjoy a good gyro. Local place here (Greek/Cypriot) serves a really excellent gyro. Th menu had Polish Sausage served German Style. I asked if they'd serve gyros Turkish style---fair is fair---since they serve souvlaki/kabobs.

stevo likes this.
  7. afire

afire Country Gent

Well, tonight is one of those 2-3 nights. There's sliced gyro meat at the fancy neighborhood market from a local farm that I've always thought about trying, so when I walked past it after work, I thought back to this thread and decided it was my destiny. I know it won't be as good as sprit roasted, but my introduction to gyros was the frozen mass produced stuff and I loved it. I'm hoping this will be somewhere inbetween. And it you cook it carefully, you can get about the right tender to char ratio.

stevo and Bertotti like this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Love raw meat, any kind. Capacious, tartar, Ahi, sashimi, or just a rare filet mignon.

I saw an Iron Chef that had "Kobe" chicken, high enough quality to be eaten raw - I'd love to try that.

9. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    We had Zacherlie the cool ghoul, a bit before my time, Morgus the magnificent was shown for a while, Grandpa munster and joe bob briggs too.
    Svengoolie is on here, but i don't care for him much.

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  11. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    Bacon wrapped bacon! You take a nice thick slice of Canadian bacon (Not the crap they try and pass off as Canadian bacon in the States....that is just awful), the real pickled pork loin with nice corn meal coating. Then you wrap it with sliced regular breakfast bacon (extra points for maple smoked) and cook it on the grill. When the sliced bacon is cooked to a nice medium (not too crispy) the good stuff inside is just perfection.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I need to try this. I always thought Canadian bacon was just pork loin cured like bacon. So in Canada, you pickle it?

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Greek guy here in town has the verticle roasters and makes gyro's but they are beef I think. Certainly, not lamb and the sauce isn't the real deal either. he toned it down for these midwestern people. Too bad because the real deal is so much better.

14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Should be fine. I've bought the slices before and if you pan cook them, you can get a little bit of crunch on the thinner edges.

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Svengoolie goes back to the '60s in Chicago. The guy that does it now, Rich Koz, took over for the original Sven, and used the name Son of Svengoolie. After a comeback, the original said that Rich could use the name without the son. He's been a Chicago staple for fifty years or so, originally on WFLD.
    SCTV (from Chicago originally, then Toronto) had Count Floyd. He was taken from the Death character in Bergman's movie "The 7th Seal". Indy's Sammy Terry did the same.

Minneapolis instead had Mystery Science Theater 3000, which i being shown again and new episodes are being made. Not horror movies, but sci-fi with a twist. If you're not a Mistie, you really need to look into the series.

I never cared for the Munsters that much. I love The Addams Family (go figure). Everything in the Munsters was derived from old movies. Everything in the Addams Family came from the dark twisted mind of Charles Addams.

16. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    mst3k has been fun but im not a rabid watcher.
    I liked both shows though i favor the Addams family. Love both theme songs.

wabash slim likes this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

Peameal bacon sandwiches are on my kitchen to-do list. This is the recipe I've been eying up.

https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/peameal-bacon-canadian-pickled--55497

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    MST was a travesty. They had the heads of the guys and characters superimposed over the movie like your sitting in a theatre but I hates that and they chatter through the show. I watch the movie for the movie the rest is garbage.

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Had some yesterday! Love it and have even bbq’d it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.