What’s your favourite dirt pedal with ‘Trons?

hooligangorilla

Electromatic
Jan 14, 2022
Canada
I’m a relative newcomer to the wonderful world of Gretsches and Filter’Tron pickups… and I’m loving every minute so far. I’m also a pedal nut.

What overdrive, distortion and fuzz pedals do you love most with your Filter’Tron equipped Gretsch?

I have a Bluesbreaker type pedal (a Wampler Pantheon, similar to a KOT) that is immediately sounding awesome to me with my ‘Trons. I’m also getting some killer tones with my Tube Screamer cranked up that reminds me of 90s REM tones.

What pedals are you digging?

Trash Kidd

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2015
London U.K.
B6F469DC-DE46-4E9C-9527-252C0E03DFB9.jpeg 8EFA6E52-7C2C-489E-BB87-CAB1F2D83B26.jpeg I had up until a few weeks ago been using the Nocturne Fluid Drive. It’s a really great low/medium gain overdrive pedal.
Some of our newer songs are slightly more harder edged so found I needed slightly more dirt.
I’m now using a NUX Recto distortion pedal. It’s based on a Mesa/Boogie Rectifier type sound & I’m really loving it..
Works great in the effects loop in my Mystery Brain pedal too..

SpaceCowboy

Electromatic
Aug 16, 2019
Austin
I have a DIY'd Lumpy's Tone Shop Lemon Drop Overdrive that has become my main pedal with my Filtertron-equipped Electros. I turn the drive up a little over half and it gets just the right amount of sparkly dirt and cleans up nice by backing off the guitar volume a bit. I also have a DIY'd Stone Grey Distortion and a DIY Tonebender mkII that sound great with these guitars.

sL6Sowl.jpg

Last edited:

collama

Gretschie
Sep 4, 2017
Colorado
Joyo Sweet Baby Overdrive is glorious with a neck filtertron. It’s a clone of a Mad Professor Sweet Honey, and I intend to get the Mad Professor version soon.

I also like a Timmy and a JHS Superbolt with my Gretsch.

j.s.c

Country Gent
Aug 19, 2008
france
Ehx double muff v1 it does the dirt and the vaccum cleaner too (with Switch 'double' engaged).

Duo Slinger

Country Gent
Sep 11, 2020
California, USA
If there’s one thing about pedals I’ve learned on this forum, it’s that Nocturne gets a lot of love. I’m sure they sound great with all guitars but I also sort of assume their pedals are designed with Gretsches and ‘Trons in mind first.
Oh yes. Nocturne very much resides in the Grestchosphere, for Gretsches, 'Trons, and rockabilly.

You can ask our very own TV the Wired Turtle about it. He knows a bit about Nocturne...

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Mostly use my amp, volume pedal for gain, and Automatone for eq.

But pedals I would use are
Automatone
Fluid Drive
Timmy
Dude
Ethos overdrive

hooligangorilla

Electromatic
Jan 14, 2022
Canada
I have an amp with a gain knob. Works like a dream.
Never heard of that pedal.

[…insert canned laugh track]

But seriously, must be nice! Definitely not happening for me for practice at home. I do have certain L6 Helix amps via headphones I’m enjoying with the ‘Trons though. Top of the list so far is the modeled Bassman paired with a 2x12 cab IR, Setzer style.

Duo Slinger

Country Gent
Sep 11, 2020
California, USA
Never heard of that pedal.

[…insert canned laugh track]

But seriously, must be nice! Definitely not happening for me for practice at home. I do have certain L6 Helix amps via headphones I’m enjoying with the ‘Trons though. Top of the list so far is the modeled Bassman paired with a 2x12 cab IR, Setzer style.
I know, it's one of the benefits of being a bedroom musician. I have a 20 water hybrid which lets me get serious metal dirt really easily. I almost never move the knob past 10 o clock. I have always wanted to play one of the monster amps on blast though.