What’s the style and how do I learn it?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Viking Power, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Hey Gretsch Brethren,

I love the way this cat is playing at the start of this video. What genre would you say this music falls into? Is he playing a song or improvising? What does a player need to learn/know to play like this (obviously this man is talented and has put in time in the shed so that is needed too and I understand that piece). I’d love to be able to make my Gretsch sing like this one day! Thoughts?

2. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Gretschie

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    I love that too! There is a lot going on there with whammy and some effects. Underneath it, it reminds me of 60's light jazz, lounge, kind of Spanish/bossa/lounge -- influenced by Carlos Santana. A lot of that was happening then-- movie soundtracks, instrumental albums, lots of cross over.

I'm reminded of the Ventures version of Music to Watch Girls By... maybe not as Santana as the clip, but in a similar neighborhood

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If you're not already familiar, learn the harmonic minor scale (much of that first part was based around A harmonic minor). One of my favorites. It has that certain feel.

Viking Power and NJDevil like this.
  4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I seriously considered the Jazzmaster Ultra partly from that opening playing, loved it.

Viking Power and gretschbigsby like this.
  5. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I'm fan of the late James Wilsey....many know him as Chris Isaak's guitarist and extreme talent that made the song "Wicked Game" hauntingly famous. This clip reminded me a bit of the mood but I will have to defer to Henry on the technical aspects of the scale that crafts this style.

Some of my solo work is very much like this but all I can say is that I craft the melody until I feel a tune can be crafted....create the melody, then the chord patterns and then usually shoot off the base of a pentatonic minor scale. I doubt anyone would find my way acceptable but I figure if I know the chords and really learn the all of the notes around them, I can create a good tune that always seems to have some pentatonic DNA embedded within.

So of course my way includes recording or looping the rhythm and then crafting the supporting solo material....over, and over and over again with each iteration slightly "more interesting" than the last. Along the way, I create shapes and "connectors" that fuse the chords within the melody. The inclusion of triads or 2-string chords as part of the solo really gives it personality.

I am quite certain that no guitar teacher would recommend my way but "it gets me there". I'm self taught so the only method I know is to work the notes that create the chords for the melody. I love the sample in the video as working tunes like this gets me out of my "Blues-cage", rarely use bends with other technique just popping up.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  6. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I shared my approach in my above post but I know it doesn't really answer the question. Let me try a different approach. The song made me think of the jazz tune "Autumn Leaves"....below is a good playing of the tune. However it is straight Jazz and sounds a worlds apart. Take the concept though of playing the jazz technique and speed it up a bit including elements of merengue and salsa.

Yup, it is a bit more tame in comparison, less dynamic in straight "guitar solo" and more technical with jazz chords really being the song. Think of this..... Play more single notes with a bit more spice. Switch up the groove. The Jazzmaster video has some Hispanic influence and reminds me of a hybrid of a few tunes. "Autumn Leaves" is bland in comparison but really not far off.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sounds like a diligent student of blues, rock, jazz and even classical in all of it’s forms, with a practical application in a pop environment.

Viking Power likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It's got some spaghetti, some gypsy jazz. Check out Bill Frisell?

Viking Power and Lucky Jim like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Why not check out Sean Halley, the guitarplayer in question?:cool:
    https://seanhalley.com/about.html

Viking Power, Henry and dlew919 like this.
  10. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Actually I like that it’s not a shred fest. Skilled? Yes. Difficult to play? Not to copy, but to come up with, yes. Does it show what the guitar sounds like? Yes.

NJDevil and Viking Power like this.
  11. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    In Finnish that would be called Iskelma. Unfortunately there does not seem to be english word for it. Google translates it to 'popular song' which is obviously way too broad of a term.

I'd call it 60s melancholic soft pop. :). No matter at what decade its actually played.

12. Viking Power

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Thanks for all of the replies gents! Nice to know I'm not the only one that really digs this. Not that it matters what others think, but I often feel like I have some bizarre tastes in music. :eek:

Definitely will be checking out the harmonic minor scale. It's a scale I've heard of but have not learned yet. Thanks @Henry for the actionable piece of advice! I'll also be checking out Bill Frisell. Not familiar with his work.

@Ricochet I have checked out Sean's stuff but didn't find anything that sounded like this demo video. Maybe I need to look harder. I'll keep digging!

@NJDevil , dude, love your detailed description of your process. I think this might be the path that I take to some extent. I'd really like to start crafting my own solo guitar stuff. I'm somewhere in between beginner and intermediate though and kind of clueless where to start. What you shared is a bit over my head but I think I can piece it together as far as your process.

NJDevil and Ricochet like this.
  13. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    it sounds Jazz to me. Latin jazz. the rhythm section is Latin.

NJDevil and Viking Power like this.
  14. Viking Power

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Dear God...am I becoming a jazz fan?

JeffreyLeePierre and The Box like this.
  15. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Are your friends and family finding you obnoxious? Have you recently purchased a stupid hat? Have the phrases "play a tune" or "hepcats and hipsters" entered your vocabulary? You may be one of many guitarists in the early stages of being afflicted by jazz. Contact your medical professional immediately before you forget your minor pentatonic box one today!

16. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Gretschie

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    I remember reading once that, for players of American music, as you develop you tend toward going deeper into either blues, country, classical or jazz.

You are clearly headed in the hep direction.

Viking Power, NJDevil and Duo Slinger like this.
  17. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Cool! I'm happy to report that I've been able to teach my process/approach to at least 5 others who have really had their playing style "take off"!

I think the success of it comes because it is not some rigid/rule-structure approach. Instead, it lets the player breathe and understand concepts and style while learning the soloing and progressing with it. The best part of it? It challenges while maintaining fun and progress is defined by the player and can feel very rewarding.

If you have any questions, just message me and I'll be more than happy to discuss....Happy playing!!

Viking Power likes this.
  18. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Ha ha!!! The great thing is there are no labels if you like it. I'd say it is a mix of jazz, blues, Latin American fusion. The important thing though it is a style that you can make your own and open the door to really creative playing.

Viking Power likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nothing wrong with that.

Viking Power likes this.
  20. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    really cool music

Viking Power likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.