Western G5420

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Duo Slinger, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Electromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    So, I really love the look of the "Western-motif" 6120s, but I can only afford an Electromatic. Do any of you know if there are any aftermarket pieces (e.g. pickguards) that I can slap on a G5420 to help give it that cowboy look?

2. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Mike at Quickguards can do whatever you want with the pickguard. Chet signpost logo or anything you might want. There's a guy on Etsy who can do G brand decals - Creative Cuts on Ebay can make the 1955 cow and cactus fret board overlays if you want that look. IMG_20180831_133700.jpg IMG_20200129_144320.jpg

3. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Electromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Oh hell yeah. That is beautiful and basically exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot dude!

section2 likes this.
  4. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Electromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Also, what's the name of the Etsy seller?

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Don't forget the brass nut.

A touch of Western Tone!

dak55 likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Very nice looker. Great job.

dak55 likes this.
  7. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Guitar Restore is the shop name for the Etsy store. He did the G brand and the head stock steerhead. Good quality stuff and is die cut, not a waterslide where you always see an outline. The guys name is Scott. Mike at Quickguards isn't cheap or fast but top notch work. Let me look around tomorrow. I might just have a set of cow and cactus overlays I didn't use in the spare parts bin.

YouFellowRebels and Duo Slinger like this.
  8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Creative Cuts on eBay will do these decals as well. I bought a custom headstock logo from Creative Cuts, and I was impressed with the service. He didn't have the logo that I wanted, but I sent him an image and he custom-made what I was looking for.

YouFellowRebels and Duo Slinger like this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    This is still the coolest 5420T I’ve seen.
    So awesome!

10. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Electromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Well that's interesting, because I'm having a difficult time finding the dude's shop. Etsy's search engine is arcane and difficult.

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've bought from him before too,just look up guitar decal and he'll be there.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  12. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Electromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Could I trouble you for a link? I've browsed through 300 out of 7.6K results without finding him.

13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Looks like his page is down, i pulled him up in my purchase history but it won't take me to the site.

14. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Yeah, I also checked my purchase history and messages and he appears to be gone from Etsy. There might be a possibility he got in trouble for copyright infringement but all the Fender decal stuff is there still. Or maybe it just wasn't profitable.

15. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Electromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Well shoot. Do you know any alts?

16. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Anyone with a die cut machine can make it. They are fairly common nowadays and there are plenty of high quality images on the web you can swipe for the G brand artwork. I got the exact dimensions from a guy here off an original 55-6120 since I wasn't smart enough to do it before I sold mine.

There is also a guy named Mark Beeby on the "Gretsch Guitar Forum" Facebook group that makes them.

17. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Duo Slinger likes this.
  18. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Electromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Oh sweet, thanks dude! ViclaCartelDesigns appears to be closed though.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  19. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Ah, he did some custom stuff for me, but that first link oughta give you the steers head you need. If it’s not listed, you can probably message him and ask for one.
    Also, gretschgear.com was where I’ve bought G brand decals, but they don’t seem to be selling them anymore. Might be able to find one on reverb.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  20. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Electromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Alright, thanks dude!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.