well my pink guitar is here?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by GOOBALL JEFF, Mar 18, 2021.

1. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    my girlfriend who has no interest in guitars at all and thinks they all sound the same said that this guitar sounds beautiful the nicest she has ever heard before and i agree but, we both agree it's ugly as sin! could the red case has seeped into the nitro and turned it a very mild pink hue? because it looks nothing like the pics i have seen online, no matter which light i get it in it's undeniably pink! if i send it back i will lose out big time thanks to brexit the import charge was 500 bloody pounds which i wont get back and i am responsible for paying the return shipping so i thought i might as well keep it for an investment for my son one day, but what a waste eh? and it's light so very light i feel it's not worth the money at all, it plays and sounds like a 2k guitar absolutely without a doubt in my mind, the neck is beautiful even though I'm not a fan of decal not covered by nitro. there is a lot about it i do like and a lot about it i don't like, no way is it worth 2k! like an idiot i took plastic off the pickguard what should i do? because right now I'm thinking of getting the spray gun out. IMG_20210317_173828_370.jpg IMG_20210317_173850_580.jpg IMG_20210317_173820_090.jpg

2. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Demand a partial refund first.

Second, If it's a great guitar, the color will grow on you.

sgarnett, mrfixitmi, Merc and 2 others like this.
  3. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    haha my girlfriend said it looks like pink skin with pulsating veins! i doubt the color will grow on me but thanks. the nut is cut wrong on the low E touching the fret when pressed, the pickguard is cut sloppy. frets are what i love tall narrow and like i have said they buzz less, it does play and sound amazing but is that enough?

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Hard to judge by the pics. Is it still pink in broad daylight, away from the case? FWIW I’d rock a pink guitar.

Robbie, mrfixitmi, Merc and 3 others like this.
  5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Looks like a Mary Kay finish to me, they usually wind up some degree of pale pink in the right/wrong light to my eyes. What was the finish advertised as?

toddfan, Merc, SAguitar and 1 other person like this.
  6. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    ok interesting thanks.

7. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    GBJ,

I highly recommend you do not refinish the existing body. The grain is visible, under the translucent finish, which is beautiful, and, it may just be that the color is a ''one of'' that once gone will be gone forever.

IMO...if you absolutely cannot live with the color...swap out the body, there is a world of choice available to you. Make sure you do not damage this body in the swap. Wrap it up for protection, and put it away. If you do a body swap, leave the string ferrules in place, as you'll surely damage the body trying to remove them. Purchase new ones for the replacement body, you may want to consider leaving the jack cup in place as well.

Personally, I think the guitar ''as is'' is beautiful.

On a sidebar note...is this a genuine Fender, or a custom build? the reason I ask, you mentioned the headstock decal is not coated and rests on top of the finish. This is not the ''Fender'' process.

The fact the guitar has a Fender decal, does not in itself make it a genuine Fender.

I have an envelope full of vintage style Fender ''water slide'' head-stock decals... Esquire/Broadcaster/Telecaster, all available, if you know where to look.

Fender Branded necks are available as well as a separate part...checkout ''stratosphere guitars''.
    Good place to buy fully loaded fender bodies...all the favorites.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

BIB.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    rebuhrman, mrfixitmi and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Mary Kaye all the way. The transparent blond finish looks different depending what type of wood it is sprayed over.

Actually, a Mary Kaye guitar means that finish with Gold hardware, which yours is.

She is beautiful.

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
  10. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Think “MAN SALMON” not Pretty in Pink!
    Maybe some consistent sun light will lighten the pastel?
    Looks very cool to me....
    If it plays nicely I would definitely push for partial refund..
    Luck to ya... pinks

mrfixitmi, GOOBALL JEFF and SAguitar like this.
  11. knavel

knavel Country Gent

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    What is the backstory on the guitar? What model and colour was it advertised as?

Like some here I like the look of it though. Reminds me of the "Mary Kay +" partscaster strat (gold everything over translucent ash and the "plus" is the anodized pickguard) my brother is putting together right now.

I expect there is a way to reclaim the import charge & VAT if you were to send it back but it would require paperwork.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  12. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Interesting! I would check the validity of the guitar itself due to the strange details. But the finish itself looks awesome, so I wouldn't worry about that. And leaving it out in the sun for a few afternoons could quite likely fade that pink. Any red flavors are the first to diminish under sunlight, and I doubt that the case fabric could have leached that color onto the guitar that evenly. Check out some old Les Pauls and Strats that started out as sunbursts, after years the reds can fade to the point you can't see them, except for under the pickguards. But it's your guitar and you should be happy with it.

radd likes this.
  13. afire

afire Country Gent

That's what I'm wondering too. If it's a case of not as advertised, then I think a partial refund request would not be unreasonable.

I'm in the don't mind it camp. If you do a Google image search for Mary Kaye Stratocaster, you'll see that the colors vary quite a bit, and a mild pink hue is not uncommon. Here's a Custom Shop '57:
    [​IMG]

I was going to say that if you love it but can't handle the color, take the "500 bloody pounds" you're not losing and have a pro refinish it. But Back in Black makes a good point too. Bodies are plentiful. But after a body swap, it may or may not be the same guitar.

That's an interesting comment. Light is usually what most people want, and in some situations, pay an upcharge for it.

TeleRooo, GOOBALL JEFF and Merc like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    +1 I was wondering if the pink was actually down to the finish. Some woods can be a pink hue, and since the finish here is a transparent white...

Henry, new6659 and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  15. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    "Pink" is not really apparent from your pictures, but obviously that's not the same as the naked eye. I have seen pics of Mary Kaye guitars which have a slight pink cast is the pics, but again, I never really knew if that would be apparent in person. Also, please consider that rarely will you be playing the guitar with a camera flash or flood light focused on it. In normal or dim room light, it may not be noticeable. On a darkened stage, likely it would not show up "pink" at all. As for my own opinion, I would live with it because its a really beautiful guitar!

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My read would be I expect the finish is original & mostly purposeful in the pink content for any of the guitars wearing it made in the last 30-40+ years or so. I always figured that it was in the finish rather than the wood as on the ones I've seen it's usually over ash & I don't usually see pink/red hue ash, but ???

I've run into a fairly decent number of people looking for exactly that finish as they're somewhat uncommon (or anyway less common than butterscotch or blonde), so I'd join the chorus to pursue either a return or a body swap (w/ the totally on point warning that it could wind up a pretty different guitar in the doing) rather than a refin if you really can't get into it. It's your guitar at the moment though so do what you want by all mean ;)

If you like the guitar enough to live w/ it for a bit, if it's lacquer finish I could definitely see the pink fading a bit & some more yellow coming in w/ age.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Merc and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  17. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Suggestions so far have been good. Try to possibly get a little money back. If you’re not able to flip it in the UK to break even... @Back in Black suggestion for a body swap is a good idea instead of painting. That leaves you able to revert back at some point when selling. Which would help retain value.

Back in Black and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  18. GOOBALL JEFF

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    hi everyone, the guitar is an american original L.T.D when i say this guitar is light honestly it feels completely hollow which is strange but i do like that a lot and it adds to the mids of the guitar. but problem resolved i have been offered a complete refund minus shipping cost, I'm very happy which that and you know what? i knew i should have gone with my first choice i don't know why i didn't GET A BLOODY GRETSCH YOU LOVE EM! players edition here we come! thanks for all the reassurance and suggestions, ill be back soon with a gretsch...

19. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Gretschie

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    Is this the American Original 50s Mary Kaye? I think I have GAS now. :)

GOOBALL JEFF and Merc like this.
  20. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Good for you @GOOBALL JEFF .
    I would have wanted that out of my house asap of id bought it expecting white. Not a good look IMHO. Sounds like the seller is great to work with. I remember the pics you posted when you bought it last week and i thought it looked pinkish but that they were just bad photos.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.