Weird package

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Jan 21, 2021.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I heard about this alot- I think it's far more common than people realize.

2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    You can only use cash and checks for so long. Within the next decade or two we’re likely to see a more purely digital currency. I’m not saying Bitcorn, but something. The central and international banks have already mentioned including the possibility of a FedCoin from the Federal Reserve. China is about two years ahead of everyone in developing it and have done two trials. The most recent involved a lottery where they gave it away for free but it had to be spent on certain Chinese websites for trial. Russia has even said they may jump onboard the Chinese one at some point for international trade. There’ll be no avoiding taxes when it happens so some governments like it.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I sadly agree. What'll happen to those that rely on tips? Or anyone in the gig economy. It'll be a hard way to go for those involved in more nefarious activities. Many folks will go back to the barter system. Of course governments like it---just another way to control the peons and rake in more taxes. It might cut down on tax havens like offshore banks, so, there's that, but I figure the filthy rich will fin a way to avoid paying their share as usual. I'll likely not be around for that thankfully.

Merc likes this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

One of the producers of a show I listen to got random packages like this for a couple of weeks and then it just stopped. He never could figure out what the reason was or how the scam was supposed to work. I wonder if somehow the packages sent to you are actually scamming somebody else in some way? Wait. It's coming to me. I have a theory. The sender is faking commercial transactions and needs proof of shipping to support the charges he's making. So, he sends random crap to random people just to have the tracking numbers and proof of delivery. I think I might be the most brilliant detective that ever lived.
    [​IMG]

5. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    All these posts and not one "That's what she said" as far as the eye can see.

If you didn't order it and didn't give out any information to get it, just give it away or circular file it.

CalicoSkies and afire like this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    While I would certainly not post or advertise it, one's address while personal information, it is not necessarily private information. Unless you have already .de huge efforts to shield that information from the start, it is probably a quixotic effort to do so now.

If it is from amazon, you may want to report it to them.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    People receiving cash tips can till receive tips electronically. No change.

Or is the question what will happen to tax evaders? :p

Bartering doesn't make it legal,
    but it could make it easier to hide illegal tax evasion.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Done thanks for pointing that out.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  9. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Yeah if it came outta the PRC you should be nervous bout it.
    I'm not that good with commie script, but here goes. It's pretty much a description of the case: "Extremely thin, transparent and almost invisible protective material"

10. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Heh... the reason why China uses a lot of digital currency is because it goes through only a couple apps, those being WeChat and Alipay, which coincidentally is under government control, and is much faster for the government to directly freeze any and all funds for any... uh... "troublemakers".

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It is really inappropriate to refer to it as commie script,and I would appreciate your refraining. worth noting that the written Chinese language preceded Chinese communism by a few thousand years.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It wasn’t to many years ago a person could get online and find anyone’s ssn#. I haven’t tried lately but I would bet it’s still out there just hidden better. I have scoured Amazon and haven’t found anything there yet about this case but doggone it is weird to get something like this then wonder about it. I won’t lose any sleep over it though. Just keep my eyes on my accounts. A couple years ago I had hundred upon hundreds of dollars coming across my bank account. Someone got my card number somehow. Ironically enough they also shipped what they bought to my house. Toe rings ankle bracelets. I contacted the bank and the company and the company said it happened a lot. It was one way the thieves would verify the card would work. If the transaction went through. Returned no problem no money lost. My bank is great about it. They will even call me when they notice a odd purchase.

Henry likes this.
  13. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Henry... buddy... you don't know what you're talking about. I speak, read, and write Chinese... cuz I am. That is commie script. Simplified Chinese. Proper Chinese, traditional Chinese, isn't used in Mainland China anymore because the Communists got rid of it specifically because it has been around for thousands of years and the commies don't like traditional Chinese culture. As my family immigrated from the ROC, I use traditional Chinese, you know, the thousands year old language. So yeah, that stuff is commie script.

Henry likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I see. I didn't realize you were referring to the simplified version which I am aware of but I think most (non-Chinese) people are not aware of it at all and would not understand the distinction. I understand your intent but most people won't without an explanation (and not knowing your background) and I would hate to see that term being accepted as a way to refer to the Chinese language.

I grew up learning traditional Chinese
    (parents educated in HK, moved to San Francisco late 60s and met here) but my parents (and I) gave up on it and I basically know no Chinese now; I am a solid twinkie.:p

Duo Slinger likes this.
  15. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Oh I see. So your parents are Hongkongers? Wow. Know any Canto?

But yeah, I was referring to it being simplified as opposed to traditional. I should've cleared that up, but I kinda forgot to. My bad :D

Henry likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    All good. Yep Hong Kongers. My father was born in Shanghai to a somewhat wealthy family and fled at a very young age to HK. He grew up in HK mostly just him and his mother. My mother has long roots and a large family in Hong Kong, most of them still live there now but many established residency in the US or elsewhere prior to the 1997 hand over.

My Cantonese is terrible. it probably peaked at age 8 or so.

My parents made the genius decision to put us in Mandarin school instead of Cantonese,which didn't help.

through my teens I could follow most Hong Kong movies . . if they were action movies. I haven't really spoken Chinese with anyone since age 18 or so. I am now 44.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Big difference as well between the a Chinese government and the majority of the people. My daughter is Chinese my son is Korea. The people I met In both countries were very much like many of us.

new6659 likes this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

I love how in old newspaper articles, whenever anybody, just a random citizen, was mentioned, they would follow it with an address and often phone number. It still strikes me as an odd convention. Why would readers need, or even want, to know some rando's contact info?

Which seems like a shame, but I suppose in the early 1990s, fluency in Chinese probably didn't seem like much of an asset. I guess I don't know that it is today, but it seems like it could be.

Duo Slinger and Henry like this.
  19. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Smart move. I went to Mandarin school, and I can't understand a lick of Cantonese, aside from "léi hóu".

Also, ouch on the not speaking since 18.

Henry likes this.
  20. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Second that.

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.