Weird 6120-55 Compton Issue

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by 86runner, Jul 15, 2020.

1. 86runner

86runner Electromatic

May 6, 2015
    Nashville
    Strange thing. I picked up a 6120-55 not long ago. Posted a NGD thread about it. Anyway, that's not the strange thing, because it's AWESOME. The strange thing is that I put an aluminum Compton on it and my high E was suddenly muffled/dead sounding. I just had a chance to pop the compensated aluminum bridge back on, and it's much better. I have Comptons on all my other Gretsches and have put them on countless others that have come and gone and never experienced anything like this? It doesn't sitar, and I know it's not the nut because it's the same whether fretted or not. Anybody ever had this happen?

ishtar likes this.
  2. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

I've had Wayne put on a couple Compton's for me at Gretsch Togethers, and they have been pretty much perfect. I ordered one for an Annie I came to possess, and just now got around to putting it on and its slots seem shallower than others I have had. I say 'seem' because the other guitars are not around any more, so I really can't visually compare. The high E string can pop out of it's channel with a little force in my strumming. Mine is in the shop presently with another guitar for setups. Maybe take it to a tech/luthier and get some advice? Maybe shoot a pm to Wayne here, his handle is workknot .

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Can you swap a Compton from one of your other guitars and see what happens?

ishtar likes this.
  4. 86runner

86runner Electromatic

May 6, 2015
    Nashville
    Yeah, I think I might do this to see what happens.

ishtar and audept like this.
  5. 86runner

86runner Electromatic

May 6, 2015
    Nashville
    If I can't figure it out, I'll definitely see what Wayne recommends. Thought I'd check here for ideas before I bother him. Thanks!!

ishtar likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    My guitars sound muffled when the strings are buried too deep in either nut or bridge(saddle).
    The problem is compounded when the string notches are too tight.

Bertotti, ishtar and G5422T like this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, that plus any angle on the bridge base can cause this too. All depends.

A couple of these little things together and some strange stuff can happen on any or many strings.

Set up headaches just lead to a perfect outcome.

Ricochet likes this.
  8. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I had one with a burr in it. Needed a little filing to remove. I don't remember though if it muffled the string.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.