Wearing hats on stage ...

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Hey! I resemble that remark! LOL

Well, since most of my guitar playing is in a church setting, and since I don't wear a hat when I am preaching, I don't wear a hat when I play for others at church.

On the other hand, I have played outdoor concerts at a friend's church, and there, I can do anything I want. BTW, when people ask me about my favorite baseball team, I tell them I am a pastor, and it's the Angels, of course. 😀

View attachment 187810
The way I was raised, only women wear hats in church---head covering was a requirement. That's not been enforced since Vatican II.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Thelonious Monk. Sure as heck I’ll never be able to even get close playing wise, but I’m sure I could handle the goatee-hat-suit-tie look pretty well. I’ll add the DocMartens touch! ;)

dlew919

Country Gent
Silver Member
Jul 18, 2016
Sydney, Australia
If I'm in a Returned Services Club, they'll sometimes ask for me not to perform in a hat. Some sports clubs try it too, but I'm less inclined - I get the rules of the returned servicemen, and am happy to comply. I'll wear a bowler (American Derby), a Trilby, a fedora, a cowboy hat, worker's cap, Panama, Top hat (for very special gigs), Fez...

Hats rule.

jvin248

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Near Detroit
... I've always wondered why people who don't own cows wear cowboy hats.

Just like wondering why people who don't own a truck ... wear 'a truckers hat' ...

iu

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
My Friends,

I'm of the opinion...and it's only an opinion, that if you wear on stage, what you've been wearing on the tour bus/while mowing the lawn/while taking out the garbage/while cleaning the garage/while sweeping the driveway/while shopping at Walmart/while washing the car...

Then your music won't be much better than you look, and you'll likely smell like a dead rat.

Dirty sneakers, sweaty, smelly caps/hats, clothes that have never seen a washing machine or iron, may be OK for the last day of camping...

But they don't belong on a stage!

I still use this as a gauge for ''stage attire''. see attached

To me...if you look like Flea, you probably have fleas.

I find myself remaining loyal to the old ways.

I had a dive friend, who used the phrase relating to the state of his dive gear...'' I don't care what it looks like, as long as it works''...problem was, his gear failed on a regular basis.

BIB
George and John.jpg

Last edited:

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
My Friends,

I'm of the opinion...and it's only an opinion, that if you wear on stage, what you've been wearing on the tour bus/while mowing the lawn/while taking out the garbage/while cleaning the garage/while sweeping the driveway/while shopping at Walmart/while washing the car...

Then your music won't be much better than you look, and you'll likely smell like a dead rat.

Dirty sneakers, sweaty, smelly caps/hats, clothes that have never seen a washing machine or iron, may be OK for the last day of camping...

But they don't belong on a stage!

I still use this as a gauge for ''stage attire''. see attached

To me...if you look like Flea, you probably have fleas.

I find myself remaining loyal to the old ways.

I had a dive friend, who used the phrase relating to the state of his dive gear...'' I don't care what it looks like, as long as it works''...problem was, his gear failed on a regular basis.

BIB
View attachment 187844
Not on the stage but on another world I lives in, martial arts fighting, I knew people who had set opinions on what was right and wrong how you should act look the steps you should take the clothes you wear etc and I was always glad they were like that because it made me beating them that much easier.

Be careful of disregarding people basses on what you called your old way, your welcome to it but I have kkow people whom I never thought would even be musical but played far better than 95% of the people I have know pros included. Just saying I’m of a firm belief to keep an open mind until they prove me wrong but there are likits to trust.

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Depends on where you play out! Where we used to go, people would spit beer all over you (as a sign of affection).

Runamok

Country Gent
RAM,

I'm also of the opinion that if you order a replacement fender for you car, it has to be the same color as the rest.

Best,

BIB
Canadian Color Coordination.
Its a thing. 😁

I read “dive” buddy as a guy who frequented dicey
establishments.

Reread tells me it was SCUBA-Doo.
Which is what you get diving without a proper SCUBA hat.

That ‘equipment failure’ takes on a new dimension.

Last edited:

Latest posts