We shall prevail !

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pilgrim, Mar 16, 2020.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Henry! Everyone who visits Texas remembers it differently. One afternoon as I was leaving the Federal building, a 6' beautiful blonde in a red mini dress and hills took my arm and ask me if I'd take her dancing. I was blown away. I said sure but where ? She said she'd take care of me. I was widower and she was in a class I was teaching in systems. Luckily I had a rented Cadillac .
    We went to supped at the first ever Steak and Ale the started on the clubs. About 10 pm we went to a club. We went in a the front doors and there was a sunken dance floor and a Dj up on a stage. He saw her a started blasting Legs by ZZTop. The girl had 4' of legs and she started dancing, I tried to dance a bit, but you know I did drink or dance. After 2 hrs she asked me what I wanted to do. I said I need to go to my room. She said ok. I asked her where she wanted to be dropped of, she said at my room. We went to sleep in the same bed. The next morning I got up at 6:30 AM and left her asleep. No nothing happened. She came into my class at noon. Texas has wonderful memories. I told this story 5 years later to Billy and he laughed and asked me for her number.

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Glad you guys had a good time Henry :D

Having visited Texas myself I agree there's many similarities with the amount of grasslands, ranching, wide open spaces and big sky. Not so many culturally though imo.

Culturally, I think Australians are most similar to Canadians and New Zealanders.
    Canadians are more polite than we are and Kiwi's do most things better imo but there's many similarities with our shared English history, sense of humour, independence, political systems, standard of living etc.

New Zealand has a big brother/little brother relationship with us. They love to hate Aussie (as they call it) and especially love to beat us at Rugby, but just the same ...... the 2 countries have a very close relationship. We share social security systems, visas not needed for travel either way, no green cards required for work and national health services apply equally to both countries.

I love NZ and highly recommend anyone visit :D

new6659 and Henry like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Memories of Texas?

Basic training in the middle of summer in San Antonio, then off to tech school in San Angelo.

Oh, yeah. Lots of fun.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I think they enjoyed Temecula the most, its wine country there. South Adelaide stuff I hear

Bertotti likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I lived in San Antonio in the early 90s. It's a pretty city, and I still miss the great cuisine :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I visited nearby Austin a lot too.

aust.jpg

6. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    If you like The Dish, try and find The Castle... It was the same guys, the movie before The Dish, and is still held up as one of the greatest Aussie movies. It's not entirely typical of us - in the same way that watching Swamp People doesn't give the exact mannerisms and culture of the US - but in the same way, it gives an insight into character.

The Queen's still our head of state, though there's a strong Irish streak, and we have convict history (so culturally we were the larrikins and louts - though I can't personally claim convict heritage).

We're New Zealand's America. They're our Canada. IN both cases, little brother thinks itself more urban, progressive, nicer and just generally better than big brother. We just claim anyone who's any good as our own (with the exception of Russell Crowe, who's jokingly disowned by both nations).

I don't think Kiwis do things better than us, they just like to tell us they do. :p
    For instance, did you watch Dateline last night, about their homelessness crisis..? We're hardly perfect, but they're equally flawed. We just need to give each other a break and keep trying to do better.

Stefan87 and new6659 like this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    On the strength of your recommendation, I ordered a copy. If it’s similar, in any way, to the Dish, I’m certain to like it. Thanks for the tip.

Bummer not to be able to claim convict heritage. You must live in continual shame. :)

blueruins and Stefan87 like this.
  8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Whoa whoa whoa, don't let any kiwi's hear you say that, we hear it enough from them as it is lol.

NZ's is a lovely place to visit, one of the most friendliest places.

9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    @Tadhg is right, it is a great movie, many quotes still constantly said and heard in my social circle, hope you enjoy it.

Waxhead likes this.
  10. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I'm sure that The Castle, after its first viewing, will go 'straight to the poolroom.' A reference every Aussie's expected to understand, and which you'll get after you've watched it.

I'm first generation - I moved here at six months of age... First generation but also fifth generation. It's ok - my wife has convict heritage. Forty years ago, it was to your shame if you were descended from Convicts. These days, it's become our version of tracing yourself to the Mayflower.

Back to the topic... We're getting more locked down here. Maybe 5-10% of the workforce became unemployed from Monday to today (Wednesday evening). You can't get your nails done, can't get a tan (such major issues for a pasty hermit like me), and if you're getting a haircut, you can only be in the barber/salon for 30 minutes. So, hairdressers (my sister's a hairdresser) are sending people out to wait in their cars between setting the dye/foils/etc, then they go back in to get it washed out. Schools are still open, the intent seems to be to keep them open as long and as often as possible. Statements are that there's nowhere in the world where it's been proven that schools are sources of transmission, and kids don't seem to be as negatively effected by it. Many teachers aren't happy, but at least the kids retain a sense of normality and a chance to continue learning.

Stefan87 and Waxhead like this.
  11. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    ... which is something I don't really get ... as much lockdown as possible is what is buying us time, and by now, time is the only thing making it less of a catastrophe that is available. Children may not be affected as much, but they are affected (the one who dies won't care that much if he's one of 100 or of 1000), and they can transmit. That it didn't happen in schools so far doesn't say much more than that there is no known outbreak you could trace back to a swinger club. No reason to go there, but every reason to avoid any crowded area possible.

Maybe this is a question of priorities ... I've heard of plans to get the US back to normal before easter ... ....... well, I won't comment that, just hope it gets rescheduled or ignored.

12. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I'm with you on the US - I really hope they listen to the epidemiologists.

The chief medical officers of my state and the national chief medical officer, along with epidemiologists from CSIRO (our national lab, effectively, who are completely apolitical and extremely well respected) and I'd also throw in Michael Osterholm, are all pretty clear in their explanation of their shared position.

I kind of look and think, odds are I'll get it. Even though I work from home and almost never go out. Because over 50% of the population is expected to get it. However... Whilst we're at about 2400 cases at present, we're only at 20 in Intensive Care Units, and I think 8 deaths (all over 75). When other countries had 2,000 cases, they had much higher rates of hospitalisation than us, and much lower rates of testing (the claim this morning was that we're now testing more people per capita than anywhere in the world). So we're getting more low level positives than other countries, making me think (given higher testing levels) odds are the other countries missed these types of cases (i.e. low impact cases). Meaning we're not really at the same point as other countries when they reported 300 cases in a day, because ours are largely sitting at home feeling bored, whereas half of cases in those other countries were straight into the ICU. And the more of those low-level cases that end up being isolated, the fewer high level cases they'll trigger.

I don't mean to sound unconcerned, dismissive or even smug, but I'm definitely really, really thankful to be here.

DennisC likes this.
  13. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    The more isolation, the better.

Hm, yeah, numbers aren't comparable this way, as what triggers to test someone isn't the same, also access to tests and mecial care isn't, ... nothing is the same.

I hope it won't get too political, but I think getting the US back in regular track by easter is just wishful thinking that might prove itslelf really dangerous ... after all, economy is easier to replace than actual persons are, and a massive outbreak would lead to countermeasures anyway, no matter how out of concern for economic damage the back to normal fast approach was intended, and then leading to much more - and preventable - economic damage.

There will be plenty of time to get things sorted out and restart normality, but by now, we're at the beginning of it still. I wouldn't dare to schedule anything at all at this time.

Tadhg, new6659, pilgrim and 1 other person like this.
  14. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Couldn’t agree with ya more!!

pilgrim likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I actually can trace to the Mayflower on one side of the family, but if I pretend the Thomas Rogers was a stowaway I could spruce up my reputation a bit. :)

Tadhg and Waxhead like this.
  16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Just a reminder Gents, let’s back away from the political aspects of this.

DennisC and TubeLife like this.
  17. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Easter 2021 seems a bit pessimistic, but better safe then sorry, I guess.

18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Californians ordered to stay indoors, but take a look at the idiot spring break kids just two days ago in san diego here... looks like a regular day in Pacific Beach/San Diego a few miles from my house.
    Now the beaches are "officially" closed as of yesterday but I imagine its not that much different until they bring in the military. Coast Guard was getting flack from surfers according to my wife, as they tried to herd them back to shore and to go home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice