We lost our Braveheart last night....

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by capnhiho, Mar 20, 2021.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I feel very sorry for you and your family. 15 years together is a long time.

capnhiho likes this.
  2. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Sorry to hear this, brother.:(

capnhiho likes this.
  3. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    Really sorry for your loss. I often feel I am not as empathetic as I should be sometimes unless it involves the loss of another's pet.

capnhiho likes this.
  4. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    When a dog who's been a longtime companion and family member passes, an irreplaceable piece of your heart is gone too. Hopefully your memories of your time together provide solace and comfort.

capnhiho likes this.
  5. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    [​IMG]

William looked to be a noble representative of his breed,,,,,sorry for your loss. I too have had to put down some long tenured dogs and reading this, as hard as it is to do, helped me in the long run.

DennisC and capnhiho like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    My condolences. I know dogs become family members. May William Wallace remain in cherished memories. And bring you comfort in having had him in your life.

capnhiho likes this.
  7. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Electromatic

Jun 27, 2019
    Bury, UK
    So sorry man.

What a cute dog, you can see from that smile he was happy so you did your job well!

capnhiho likes this.
  8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

capnhiho, I am sorry for the loss of your precious dog, and wabash slim, I am sorry for the loss of your cat.

At nearly 66 years young, I have felt the loss that you are feeling - both dogs and cats - and it's never gets any easier. wabash slim is right, though, about the new puppy being able to help. Give yourself a little time to grieve, though,

capnhiho likes this.
  9. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Sorry to hear :(

capnhiho likes this.
  10. mjm0

mjm0 Electromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Sorry to hear. He looks like he was a cool dude!

capnhiho likes this.
  11. TeleRooo

TeleRooo Electromatic

Mar 19, 2017
    Tiger Mt.
    My deepest condolences for your loss. It is truly wonderful & magical to have them share time with us in our lives. To have so many years with them is a blessing but makes it even more painful when they must go. I hope you can, in time, eventually find another precious little one to share your love and life with. They are out there and they too need the really good folks who will really Love them..... Enjoy and celebrate the wonderful times you shared. You gave him the Love and Best possible life you possibly could.

capnhiho likes this.
  12. BrPhil

BrPhil Electromatic

Sep 8, 2020
    Cincinnati, OH
    So sorry that you lost your little friend. It is amazing how attached we can be to our pets, but they provide so much entertainment, companionship and some even protection. Most of all, they love you unconditionally no matter how bad your day has been, if you just lost your job or totaled your car. I truly feel bad for you, but a friend, who recently passed away, wrote a book called, "Will I See My Doggy in Heaven?" and we can only hope that our maker is merciful enough to allow us that reunion after our last day on Earth.

capnhiho likes this.
  13. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    We had a cat and it was a right little character, I must have been more attached to her than I realised because when she died I was really gutted, don't know what to say other than I really know how you feel.

capnhiho likes this.
  14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    So sorry to hear, 15 year so of companionship is wonderful and can only imagine how much you must miss him. All the best.

capnhiho likes this.
  15. Mojoman

Mojoman Electromatic

Jan 14, 2019
    Gardena, ca.
    Sorry to hear that. Quite right they are part of the family. Ive had a aeirdale, boxer/pit, and at least 5 cats that we had fir years. One named Cookie moved with us 5 times! And cats dont like cars do they? Now we have a siamese mix, chocolate colored, wild child named Shadow, 12 years old. I will give him time when we are hangin out, cause i know. I miss him already and he's still here..

capnhiho likes this.
  16. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I am so sorry for your pain and suffering due to your tremendous loss. If people were more like dogs with their unconditional love, this world would be a different place.

We still feel the pain from losing our first dog 16 years ago, and our current dog is a little over 14, so we are regretting the day we have to say goodbye.

You and your family are in our prayers.

capnhiho likes this.
  17. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I once read an article ... or a pamphlet, kind of propaganda from shelters who desperately search for people willing to adopt animals, that, in effect, stated that, if your pet was to have a will, a testament, another animal would likely inherit their place.

I kind of understood this, as ... it is true that there are more animals - no matter if we stick to dogs or cats or any other pet - than (similar) animals in a loving and caring home. I therefore decided that I take it as it comes, but adopt as many animals that match with me as I can, which may range from one single young cat, as it is now, to a group of elderly cats who no one wants to adopt anymore. Actually, before I got to know about Gina's situation before adopting her, I had planned to get a few things settled and done and then actively look for old cats, who likely may not come as close as one adopted at an early age, but still deserve to live with a bit of dignity, care, love and security, and who may very well surprise with how close they really allow you to grow with each other.

And ... of all the reasons people give why they're proud of their nationality (usually things other people have accomplished, who likely aren't into that kind of proudery), the one that rings with me is that in germany, every shelter is a no-kill, kill-shelters aren'T even allowed, and the protection of animals is an official goal of the state and its activity, mentioned not only in specific laws about how to treat them, but in the constitution.

The people who are the saddest when losing their pet are exactly those you wish any pet to live with. Those who care, who don't see their dog, cat, ferret as some kind of accesoire, or even somthing to show off because it's an expensive breed or something, but who really love the personality that lives inside the fur, who really care, and whose homeactually is worth being inherited by another animal that matches with the person and situation. And, maybe, not looking for one but just allowing it to happen.

But, of course ... one should allow themselves the time inbetween they need. A pet adopted right after the one before died would feel like having replaced them to me ... I wouldn't want that.

new6659 and capnhiho like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.