Watching paint dry - Telecaster build

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by ampe, Oct 20, 2021.

1. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    I started woodworking during the lockdown, made furniture for my home office and some small projects.
    (you can check it out on my Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sawworx/

One thing led to another and i build a telecaster body, it's not a Gretsch, but a tele is the next best thing, no?
    (I have no idea where i would get a set Gretsch neck to build my own Gretsch).

The frustrating thing is now that the build is complete i have to wait 4 weeks until the nitrocellulose paint dries before i can assembly and test it :(

It's inspired by 'Danish Pete" his telecaster on the Andertons Youtube channel.
    It's hard to photograph, but it is great looking purple flake[​IMG]

I started off with two nice pieces of ultralight Ash and mostly Fender original parts.
    [​IMG]
    I made a MDF template using a technical drawing of the body
    [​IMG]
    After rough cutting the body with a jigsaw i used a flush trim bit in my trimrouter to transfer the template contours on the body
    It's important to have the template perfectly shaped, because every dent will transfer onto the body.
    [​IMG]
    I cut out the neck pocked and inside routings on the template, drilled out most material with the drillpress and routed out the rest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After that it was sanding, primering and spraypainting.
    [​IMG]

2. THS3171

THS3171 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2020
    Germany
    Very fine! Looks great.
    I'm sorry for You watching the color drying. Maybe try a little MoP-Inlays meanwhile? It's a lot of fun :cool:
    MoP.JPG

Mr Swisher and Marv666 like this.
  3. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Same confinment activity, building + Telecaster type. but I still some work to do on this sonic blue, and they released us from confinment for months now... so maybe next wave :-/

Attached Files:

4. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    That reversed headstock is so cool! damn i wish i thought of it!
    Did you build that thinline from scratch? Sweet!

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool,looking forward to seeing it completed!

It's just as well I cant make my own geets,cause I'd have no room to move here!:D

MrWookiee likes this.
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Great work. Love the color. Having done a lot of painting guitars myself , I think you can go ahead and try fitting parts and even assemble it to try it out. The wait only applies to allowing the lacquer to cure before final sanding and polishing. Depending on what you used 1-2 weeks is usually sufficient in my experience too.

7. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Looks great and nicely done!

8. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    No it's a parts guitar... from asia

[​IMG]

9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Nice job. :cool:

I used the same Dartfords lacquer on my recent Strat build. Admittedly I used a spray gun rather than a can, but I buffed the body one week after spraying and it looked great. Same with the Allparts neck I used as it was bare wood.

This was a week after spraying, when I buffed it (no wet sanding needed) and put the pickguard, trem and jack socket on:

Assembled body (6).png

I don't know how it will last in terms of crazing because it specifically says on the tin about it not having plastisisers in it. However, that body is so heavy that the guitar gives me backache after a short time, so I'm swapping it over for a much lighter body I bought already finished.

j.s.c and new6659 like this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

I'd never get a nitro guitar built ... I'd forget it's out in the garage 'curing' and only find it much later. I'm better off using a faster drying finish so I can assemble the guitar. I like all the woodworking, the assembly, and electrical systems but can't stand painting.

new6659 likes this.
  11. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    It came with a free murder hornet? Where can I get one?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.