Watch you looking at ..... just showing off the bling

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
I prefer the single Albert, for me it allows more movement.

If it is an Elgin 18S, they are so heavy, I tend to place them in my pants pocket with the chain going through a belt loop, however I have been known to single Albert those as well.

I have over 90 Elgin 18S pocket watches, they are so durable, and have a good amount of parts that will interchange. That makes restoration easier. With my eyes getting worse, they are easier to work on than the wrist watches, or the 12S pocket watch series. I know that they are noisy, but that adds to the cool factor.

guitarfarm

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2008
Neither here nor there...
OH MAN!! I used to collect Seiko Divers! but I stopped right before the addiction could really sink me financially! I sold it all to fund more gears, but Ive been wanting to get just one Seiko Turtle again.. or maybe 2.. or 3??

Looks like the Prospex Special Editions are back in stock. Looks like they are using the 8L35 movement. Hand assembled.

prospex.jpg

SRPH57 – Seiko USA

Last edited:

KaHOnas

Gretschie
Aug 29, 2021
Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA
This is my newest watch. I was using almost exclusively a Citizen Black Eagle but after 15 years of near straight use, it's gotten some wear. I used the calculator on it a lot up until I got into a glass cockpit aircraft that does a lot of the calculations for me. But it's still nice to have it as a backup.

This Cadola was a Christmas gift from a friend. Completely unexpected. I believe it's a rule that a pilot must self-identify at every opportunity and have a big watch.

DE850CEC-14DA-421A-AAEB-217DFA4B0F43.jpeg 35000751-3B03-4E35-BF13-1BE7C5EDD62A.jpeg

Not a watch in the sense of this thread but I did find this Heuer 3s stopwatch in a box of my father's things after he passed last year. I think it's kinda neat. Not much use for an old stopwatch anymore but, whatever.

DB7E866B-53F3-4DBB-85F6-C4CB60EDE500.jpeg

Last edited:

guitarfarm

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2008
Neither here nor there...
YES!

but they're a bit of out of my price range. hehe..

I'm sticking a bit on the low to mid-priced ones.. hehehe

No worries. Allow me to introduce you to Heimdallr. Here is an exact copy of a Seiko Orange Monster. Now, Seiko hasn't made the Orange Monster for a while now, but they can still be had on Ebay for $600 to $1,000. This is an exact copy for less than $200. And, not only does this watch use a NH36A movement, it also comes with two straps. The stainless steel bracelet shown and a rubber strap to match the face of the watch. Pretty good deal for the money.

Here is a short video comparing the Heimdallr Monster to a Seiko Orange Monster. Heimdallr “Monster” vs Seiko srp309 - YouTube

And here is photo of my Heimdallr Monster taken this morning. Sharkey.JPG

In addition to Monsters, Heimdallr also makes Frogs, Turtles, and Tuna Cans. All very nice watches for the money. Happy hunting.

T Bone

Country Gent
Apr 14, 2013
SE Edge of the Mount of Venus
I love watches. Have a bit of a collection, many "moderate" priced, +/- $1K.

Bought 3 last year, my work watch, a used Breitling Colt Quartz 41mm (super accurate, "Super Quartz"), and two new issue from Synchron, the Synchron Military, one in Stainless Steel, the other in black PVD finish.

Don't have any guitar related watches. Mostly I have Dive Watches, a few Pilot's Watches and a few others.

The three from last year:
20210121_152244.jpg 20210718_215621.jpg 20210711_135103.jpg

Last edited:

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
This is my newest watch. I was using almost exclusively a Citizen Black Eagle but after 15 years of near straight use, it's gotten some wear. I used the calculator on it a lot up until I got into a glass cockpit aircraft that does a lot of the calculations for me. But it's still nice to have it as a backup.
That would put you in what I suspect is a very small minority of "tool" watch owners that actually uses any of the functions. Which I've always found funny. I'm guessing a lot of luxury watch owners don't even understand their complications, much less use them.

m126600-0001.png

How many Sea-Dweller owners do you think actually need a helium escape valve because they do a lot of saturation diving?
m116680-0002.png

What percentage of Yacht-Master II owners would you suppose bought them because they find themselves frequently timing regattas?

A seconds hand is probably more of a complication than I actually need, so I stick to time-only watches.

T Bone

Country Gent
Apr 14, 2013
SE Edge of the Mount of Venus
That would put you in what I suspect is a very small minority of "tool" watch owners that actually uses any of the functions. Which I've always found funny. I'm guessing a lot of luxury watch owners don't even understand their complications, much less use them.

m126600-0001.png

How many Sea-Dweller owners do you think actually need a helium escape valve because they do a lot of saturation diving?
m116680-0002.png

What percentage of Yacht-Master II owners would you suppose bought them because they find themselves frequently timing regattas?

A seconds hand is probably more of a complication than I actually need, so I stick to time-only watches.
Talk about not using, how about not even knowing? Decades ago I had a boss with a nice Rolex tool watch. He told me it was a "Government Master". He seemed suspicious when I informed him that GMT wasn't an abbreviation for Government, and what GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) was and how it related to the multi time zone and aviation.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Exactly. While I love Rolexes, I would feel a little silly owning one that displayed more than time, and maybe date.

And one of these days, I will probably get one. I always kind of poo-poohed Rolexes. But then a friend sent me a couple of them to help with restoration (his grandfathers '66 Datejust) and a bracelet swap (his 1998 Datejust, a college graduation present). Those watches definitely won me over. They really are smooth running and built like tanks. And it wouldn't entirely be cheating on Gruen. Those two brands have a very intertwined history. At one time, they jointly owned a movement factory, with Gruen focusing on the American market, and Rolex focusing on the European market. From the mid 1910s to the early 1930s, Gruen and Rolex watches often used the same movements. In Rolex advertising, the illustration of the factory shows a sign that say "Montres Rolex":
AeglerFactory1920.jpg

Gruen advertising used the same image (evidently updated with an addition to the building), but the sign says "Gruen Guild Watches":
Bienne1930b.jpg

One of the watches I posted was what Gruen marketed as the Techni-Quadron:
i-jpnsMKC-XL.jpg

Rolex offered basically the same watch, and called it the Prince:
rolex-prince-chronometer-ref-1862-9ct-gold-vintage-wristwatch-hallmarked-1935-wwrgp2-V01.jpg

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Guys ,

I just have to say I've been really enjoying this thread . My love for watches and especially pocket watches has re-kindled

Thank you all :)