Watch you looking at ..... just showing off the bling

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Jan 13, 2022 at 7:51 PM.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Not an expensive one , but my girl in high school and a year and a half after HS gave me this for my 18th birthday . Still works but I did have it fixed once .
    Still the prettiest pocket watch face I've ever seen . I'll never part with it
    IMG_4948.jpg IMG_4949.jpg

2. afire

afire Country Gent

Maybe, but I give props to the props people. That watch is correct for a WWI trench watch.

mrfixitmi, gtttrrr and thunder58 like this.
  3. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

Well, it's not a Gruen, so I can't have one. But it does slightly remind me of a Gruen I would kill to own. I only have one picture from an long since ended auction. It's an extraordinarily rare solid gold Alpina-Gruen "hunter" (i.e., covered) wristwatch. In my searching, I regularly find gems like these that went through the big auction houses. I've set up alerts at many of them, but never get any notifications. It's as if they stopped handling Gruen watches the second I figured out that they might be a source for some special ones. :mad:
    [​IMG]

Merc and thunder58 like this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    This one has no battery and is light-powered (solar or electric) through its dial.
    It's a prototype, made from recycled materials and metals.
    My son has the blue one and he offered me the brown one, one of his pal choose the green one.
    I have it for 5 or 6 years now and nearly never set up time.
    A true workhorse, reliable and moreover lightweight
    The brand has started regular production since : https://www.awakeconcept.com/

upload_2022-1-14_22-17-20.png

upload_2022-1-14_22-17-41.png

Oh, it's even French designed and made... Surprising and incredible !

A+!

6. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Not sure if it still works.

IMG_1967.jpg

Nowadays I am an Apple Watch guy.

Merc and thunder58 like this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I've wore a watch ever since I learnt how to tell the time,currently I have a Hamilton Ventura, it's the new version,well 2007/08 new,I'd love a 50s version but I'm not made of money.
    [​IMG]

I also have dads Tissot, which is a tribute to a 30s Hamilton, small and cool.
    I have several others too .

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 4:43 PM
  8. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
  9. afire

afire Country Gent

A friend from a watch forum recently scored the apex of original Venturas. Only 10 made for the South American market in 18k rose gold. I can hardly guess what she must have paid for it, but I'm going to say a lot. The most common variant, 14k yellow gold, typically run $2500 or so in good shape. This one is the rarest of them all and in pristine, virtually unworn condition. I don't even know what something like that might fetch.
    [​IMG]

mrfixitmi, JC higgy, Merc and 3 others like this.
  10. afire

afire Country Gent

You know, I don't really understand the whole concept of wristwatches being obsolete. I don't realize it until I forget to where one, but I look at my watch all the time. But the thinking seems to be that everybody has a phone, so you don't need a watch. Well, what's a phone that tells time? It's a POCKET WATCH. I don't know why the convenience of being able to tell the time with a glance at your wrist is any less beneficial today than when it was first realized a century ago, when pocket watches started to be phased out by wristwatches. And yes, Apple watches are wristwatches. They just happen to do other stuff too. Which also isn't an entirely new concept...
    [​IMG]

mrfixitmi, Ricochet, Merc and 3 others like this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Absolutely stunning collection, those are some of the most beautiful watches I have ever seen!

12. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    When my father was a young guy, before his law enforcement days, he worked for a while on the railroad....I'm not sure doing what.....but, "an old-timer" as he put it, gave him a pocket watch that he kept for the rest of his life...and it then stayed with my mother until she passed. It now has a place of honor on my hutch

Pocket watch.jpg

mrfixitmi, Merc, Sabato and 1 other person like this.
  13. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Phones get the blame, but everything has an automatically updating digital clock on it these days. When people aren’t staring at a phone, they’re starting at a laptop or cable TV, both of which provide the time. Almost every appliance shows the time. In the car? Clock. My insulin pump has a clock and so do all my thermostats. I’m surprised my headstock tuner doesn’t have one. Phones are only pocket watches for old guys like me who actually put their phone in their pocket for extended periods. Most people have a phone in their hand all the time and barely take their eyes off it. If you do that with a pocket watch they send you someplace special for observation. Apple watches tell the time, but unlike calculator watches, they’re actually sophisticated transducers that just happen to tell the time and probably don’t need to display it. I bought that Movado watch 20 years ago thinking I’d wear it to the end of it all, but now it’s just another object that reminds me what time it is. And that’s all it does. And nothing ruins my day quite like knowing what time it is.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 9:33 PM
    new6659 likes this.
  14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    That's a Hamilton isn't it ? .....treasure it

mrfixitmi likes this.
  15. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Ain't that the truth ........

LeSainte and mrfixitmi like this.
  16. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Scrolling through I see some really beautiful time pieces. I’ll have to dig them out, but I’ve got a Movado self winding watch, two Tissot pocket watches, and a late 40’s Hamilton pocket watch. In what feels another life time ago, I almost went to school for Horology.

192D2989-67EB-4D00-8247-CA72A59372BE.jpeg

I’m sporting the Versa 3 Fitbit that I received for Christmas. Really it’s more of an extension of your smart phone rather than a watch. But I’m starting to appreciate it for what it does. It tracks my sleep and breaks it down between REM, light, and deep sleep. More importantly my BPM for my heart (not that I can’t feel it when it’s acting up). A bit handy when receiving a text at work because I can simply look down and read it as it flashes. Plus the calories burned and steps counted to keep track of. I still have to add my credit card to it as a digital wallet for faster payments. I can also change digital faces whenever I please. It’s way more useful than I imagined and super comfortable. Recommended for anyone wanting to track their health a little.

17. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The Waltham factory building is still there. My mother worked in the building for awhile with another company that rented it out. I’d love to one day pick up a Waltham watch as well.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Can't have a watch thread without Shinola.

shinola1.jpg shinola2.jpg

19. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    For my 40th birthday last month my beloved gave me this neat mechanical watch. New old stock from the soviet union with a very comfortable leather NATO strap.
    3BB77FBE-0BD1-4661-92C7-C68517E57D84.jpeg

sgarnett, LeSainte, mrfixitmi and 2 others like this.
  20. “Watch?” What is this concept?

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.