Watch you looking at ..... just showing off the bling

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Jan 13, 2022 at 7:51 PM.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Picked this up at my first visit to the Martin Factory about 25 years ago . In the words of STYX .....too much time on my hands ( tick tick tick tickin' away )
    IMG_4946.jpg

sgarnett, Merc, drmilktruck and 18 others like this.
  2. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Nice one, Rich!

Last time I wore a watch on a regular basis, these were all the rage - moonphase watches.

watch.jpg

Anybody still wear one of these? Anybody still wear watches? I gave 'em up when I started carrying a phone everywhere I go.

3. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Never stoped wearing one . I've got a nice little collection , nothing fancy . Always liked the " moon phases " but don't have any . What I really love are pocket watches , especially the rail road types . I've got 2 pocket watches and one on the way . I've got an oldie wrist watch from when my uncle died ( I was 16 at the time ) and my grandmother gave it to me ( it was her brother ) It's from about the the 1930's and member @afire has sparked my interest in it . Can't thank him enough ...... I'm going to have it overhauled starting next week

mrfixitmi and section2 like this.
  4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I want that Martin watch! But it’s better you have it, Rich, ‘cause I don’t care much any more what time it is, except dinner time, lunch time, and happy hour. I used to carry a pocket watch until it broke; I have an original 1934 Mickey Mouse wrist watch that is perfect, but being retired, I really don’t need to know the time is very often. The last wrist watch I wore was stolen by some street urchins in Olongopo when I was in the Navy on shore leave. It was my HS grad gift from my parents, so I was doubly sorry to lose it. :(

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022 at 8:57 PM
    radd, wabash slim, mrfixitmi and 3 others like this.
  5. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    @Highroller I've always needed to wear a watch as it has always bothered me not knowing the time. I love the way certain styles look but aesthetics are a far 2nd place to my need to know the time.

I especially use them when working out as it is my timing between sets. I do a lot of weightlifting so the timing is a "must have".

6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I love mechanical watches. Like guitars, they can be a wonderful combination of art, technology and craftsmanship.

Unfortunately I don't like things rubbing against my skin and I have tiny wrists so I don't wear watches. When I was 12 I loved Casio digital watches and sometimes wore 2 at once.

I've got 2 watches now. Both college related.

A pocket watch that was a college graduation gift from my siblings.
    20220113_193821.jpg

I went to college in Waltham, MA, known as Watch City. This is a watch I got a few years ago that was made in Waltham supposedly in the 60s just before the factory closed. It was not valuable or expensive.
    20220113_193832.jpg

LeSainte, Merc, mrfixitmi and 5 others like this.
  7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'd be crushed too . Back when we were growing up , a gift of a watch was a big deal from birthdays and communions to graduation and Christmas . That Mickey Mouse sounds nice too . Hopefully , I'll be joining you in a bout 2 / 3 years when I wont have to worry about wearing a watch either ;) Not worrying about the time is a good thing .

LeSainte and mrfixitmi like this.
  8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I love the pocket watch . Known as a " half hunter " because the cover is half , not full . Yup , you guessed it .... a " full hunter " is a full cover and a " double hunter " is when both front and back open . Your Waltham is real nice too . A Waltham or a Hamilton is to die for for me ...but oh the prices . This " guy " has prestige ones for sale but out of my league .
    https://www.thepocketwatchguy.com
    The pocket watch has always spoke to me as my grandfather worked for the N.Y. Central Railroad back in " the day " retiring in the early 1970s . He was the Station Manager of the 125th Street Station in Harlem .
    * Here's a photo of what I'll be purchasing soon as it's the closest I can find in a Rail Road grade pocket watch made today . Oh how I wish grandpa had a pocket watch to have been handed down to me ........
    Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 3.42.45 AM.png

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 7:57 AM
    sgarnett, Merc, CBHScott and 2 others like this.
  9. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Very nice Martin watch!

I still wear a watch. This one looks reasonably professional, and it doubles as a fitness tracker. There's a little monochromatic screen on the bottom half of the watch face that shows my steps, heart rate, etc., when I tap on it.

20220114_094044.jpg

But my favourite watch is the pocket watch that my parents gave me when I was 19. I wore it when I was called to the Bar, and when I won my first case as a lawyer.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice watch Rich. I like watches and have 6 or 7 or so. I’m also cheap, so no watch is over 150 bucks. Favourites are cheap Seikos.

thunder58 and section2 like this.
  11. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Nice watches people!
    I have to wear a watch, or carry a pocket watch. My kids thought that Dad was weird until they had to take timed tests in school, where there were no clocks in the classroom. Looking at your cell phone during testing gets you disqualified.
    Needless to say, after using mechanical watches, they think that the old watches are cool, and there are no batteries to put into a landfill.

To keep me out of the ice cream and potato chip bags, I started restoring old watches, then pocket watches. The look on a teenagers face, when you give them a pocket watch that is 100 years older then they are is kind of cool.

I love Gruen, Mido, Bulova, and Eisner watches and Elgin, Illinois and Gruen Pocket watches, and have a total of over 200 of them.

Here are two examples that I rebuilt before I put bands on them.
    The Mido is from 1944, the Eisner is from 1945.

Attached Files:

Merc, new6659, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I haven't worn a watch since I retired. We've got clocks in the house, so I don't really need a watch. My wife found me a clock that only tells you what day of the week it is.

sgarnett, SAguitar and thunder58 like this.
  13. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I'm on the waiting list for a Helm Komodo.

komodo.jpg

14. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    I used to be into my watches and have a nice collection all but one being Swiss if that still means something.

42B0AAD7-2A07-40CF-A751-EC4ED7E40536.jpeg
    Then this happened.
    36E8FD7F-3D0E-43F1-8B7C-A29DB1A5D782.jpeg Keeps track of my exercises, calories, heart and so on. Haven’t worn the others for three years.
    I take them out and look at them now and then. My son has been eyeing them over however.

Attached Files:

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    200?? :eek:

mrfixitmi likes this.
  16. afire

afire Country Gent

It was fun unraveling that one. My first impression was probably a relatively modest gold filled or plated watch from the 1930s, but a few barely visible markings revealed it to be solid gold, cased by one of the finest luxury watch case makers in the USA at the time.
    I'm a single brand guy - Gruen. And my collection is relatively small, focused on a narrow range. I only collect Gruens made before 1936, and only ones with solid metal cases, gold, silver, or steel. No plated or gold filled watches.

Today, a 1923 14k green gold Gruen tank:
    [​IMG]
    If you're wondering what green gold is, notice the difference in shade between the green gold case and the yellow gold hands and numerals.

And who am I kidding? I never miss a chance to show off my watches. Nobody ever notices them in real life, so might as well share them online.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And no, this E. Gübelin is not cheating. It was retailed by Gübelin, but its beating heart is a Gruen caliber 157.
    [​IMG]

And if you notice that some of these watches look rather small on my wrist, compactness and streamlining were in style for men's watches from the 1920s to the 1950s. They started getting a little bigger in the 1950s, but it wasn't until the 1960s that big, chunky men's watches became fashionable. But for the truly fashionable, a small rectangular watch never went out of style...
    [​IMG]

17. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Feel naked without a watch, i will have phone in hand, and still look at my wrist to tell what time it is.
    I got two rules about watches:
    1) No expensive ones, they get banged up, and I’m ok with being ok with that
    2) Never accept a watch as a gift from Christopher Walken
    4E20FAEA-D739-497C-9D70-53C656B14E96.jpeg A1F555E5-665A-4950-BCE3-7A16EE9A9B4B.jpeg

18. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    My little collection .....Botton row / left was my uncles I spoke of earlier . Bottom middle is the only thing the ex left me. I use the top middle one to go swimming / kayaking with
    Bottom photo - dad just gave me his old Seiko ( gold )
    IMG_4947.jpg IMG_4950.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 3:43 PM
  19. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    hey @afire , bet ya ain't got one of these . Little red compartment for secret messages too . But it only tells time in the movie theater .......LOL :p:p:p
    IMG_4951.jpg IMG_4952.jpg IMG_4953.jpg

LeSainte, mrfixitmi, Runamok and 7 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.