Watch you looking at ..... just showing off the bling

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Anybody still wear watches?
Never stoped wearing one . I've got a nice little collection , nothing fancy . Always liked the " moon phases " but don't have any . What I really love are pocket watches , especially the rail road types . I've got 2 pocket watches and one on the way . I've got an oldie wrist watch from when my uncle died ( I was 16 at the time ) and my grandmother gave it to me ( it was her brother ) It's from about the the 1930's and member @afire has sparked my interest in it . Can't thank him enough ...... I'm going to have it overhauled starting next week

Jelly Roll Horton

Country Gent
Nov 10, 2017
Portland, OR
I want that Martin watch! But it’s better you have it, Rich, ‘cause I don’t care much any more what time it is, except dinner time, lunch time, and happy hour. I used to carry a pocket watch until it broke; I have an original 1934 Mickey Mouse wrist watch that is perfect, but being retired, I really don’t need to know the time is very often. The last wrist watch I wore was stolen by some street urchins in Olongopo when I was in the Navy on shore leave. It was my HS grad gift from my parents, so I was doubly sorry to lose it. :(

Last edited:

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I love mechanical watches. Like guitars, they can be a wonderful combination of art, technology and craftsmanship.

Unfortunately I don't like things rubbing against my skin and I have tiny wrists so I don't wear watches. When I was 12 I loved Casio digital watches and sometimes wore 2 at once.

I've got 2 watches now. Both college related.

A pocket watch that was a college graduation gift from my siblings.
20220113_193821.jpg

I went to college in Waltham, MA, known as Watch City. This is a watch I got a few years ago that was made in Waltham supposedly in the 60s just before the factory closed. It was not valuable or expensive.
20220113_193832.jpg

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
It was my HS grad gift from my parents, so I was doubly sorry to lose it. :(
I'd be crushed too . Back when we were growing up , a gift of a watch was a big deal from birthdays and communions to graduation and Christmas . That Mickey Mouse sounds nice too . Hopefully , I'll be joining you in a bout 2 / 3 years when I wont have to worry about wearing a watch either ;) Not worrying about the time is a good thing .

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
I love mechanical watches. Like guitars, they can be a wonderful combination of art, technology and craftsmanship.

Unfortunately I don't like things rubbing against my skin and I have tiny wrists so I don't wear watches. When I was 12 I loved Casio digital watches and sometimes wore 2 at once.

I've got 2 watches now. Both college related.

A pocket watch that was a college graduation gift from my siblings.
View attachment 173751

I went to college in Waltham, MA, known as Watch City. This is a watch I got a few years ago that was made in Waltham supposedly in the 60s just before the factory closed. It was not valuable or expensive.
View attachment 173752
I love the pocket watch . Known as a " half hunter " because the cover is half , not full . Yup , you guessed it .... a " full hunter " is a full cover and a " double hunter " is when both front and back open . Your Waltham is real nice too . A Waltham or a Hamilton is to die for for me ...but oh the prices . This " guy " has prestige ones for sale but out of my league .
https://www.thepocketwatchguy.com
The pocket watch has always spoke to me as my grandfather worked for the N.Y. Central Railroad back in " the day " retiring in the early 1970s . He was the Station Manager of the 125th Street Station in Harlem .
* Here's a photo of what I'll be purchasing soon as it's the closest I can find in a Rail Road grade pocket watch made today . Oh how I wish grandpa had a pocket watch to have been handed down to me ........
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 3.42.45 AM.png

Last edited:

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
Very nice Martin watch!

I still wear a watch. This one looks reasonably professional, and it doubles as a fitness tracker. There's a little monochromatic screen on the bottom half of the watch face that shows my steps, heart rate, etc., when I tap on it.

20220114_094044.jpg

But my favourite watch is the pocket watch that my parents gave me when I was 19. I wore it when I was called to the Bar, and when I won my first case as a lawyer.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
Nice watches people!
I have to wear a watch, or carry a pocket watch. My kids thought that Dad was weird until they had to take timed tests in school, where there were no clocks in the classroom. Looking at your cell phone during testing gets you disqualified.
Needless to say, after using mechanical watches, they think that the old watches are cool, and there are no batteries to put into a landfill.

To keep me out of the ice cream and potato chip bags, I started restoring old watches, then pocket watches. The look on a teenagers face, when you give them a pocket watch that is 100 years older then they are is kind of cool.

I love Gruen, Mido, Bulova, and Eisner watches and Elgin, Illinois and Gruen Pocket watches, and have a total of over 200 of them.

Here are two examples that I rebuilt before I put bands on them.
The Mido is from 1944, the Eisner is from 1945.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Eisner Watch.jpg
    Eisner Watch.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 8

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
I used to be into my watches and have a nice collection all but one being Swiss if that still means something.

42B0AAD7-2A07-40CF-A751-EC4ED7E40536.jpeg
Then this happened.
36E8FD7F-3D0E-43F1-8B7C-A29DB1A5D782.jpeg Keeps track of my exercises, calories, heart and so on. Haven’t worn the others for three years.
I take them out and look at them now and then. My son has been eyeing them over however.

Attachments

• 46508C0D-2436-4821-9097-D8FB8EC1F4BE.jpeg
    46508C0D-2436-4821-9097-D8FB8EC1F4BE.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 1

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I've got an oldie wrist watch from when my uncle died ( I was 16 at the time ) and my grandmother gave it to me ( it was her brother ) It's from about the the 1930's and member @afire has sparked my interest in it . Can't thank him enough ...... I'm going to have it overhauled starting next week
It was fun unraveling that one. My first impression was probably a relatively modest gold filled or plated watch from the 1930s, but a few barely visible markings revealed it to be solid gold, cased by one of the finest luxury watch case makers in the USA at the time.
I love Gruen, Mido, Bulova, and Eisner watches and Elgin, Illinois and Gruen Pocket watches, and have a total of over 200 of them.
I'm a single brand guy - Gruen. And my collection is relatively small, focused on a narrow range. I only collect Gruens made before 1936, and only ones with solid metal cases, gold, silver, or steel. No plated or gold filled watches.

Today, a 1923 14k green gold Gruen tank:
i-8Pv8CnR.jpg

If you're wondering what green gold is, notice the difference in shade between the green gold case and the yellow gold hands and numerals.

And who am I kidding? I never miss a chance to show off my watches. Nobody ever notices them in real life, so might as well share them online.

i-vmNRWpr.jpg

i-q2KGrS3.jpg

i-DW64T9S-XL.jpg

i-jpnsMKC-XL.jpg

i-rtbsTgr.jpg

i-tnRGd4R.jpg

i-HskXBK2.jpg

i-3NDCvDx.jpg

i-MbxkP5F.jpg

i-tz57v3C.jpg

i-BBPk2JF.jpg

i-s5sRRMV.jpg

i-n8pZpPF.jpg

And no, this E. Gübelin is not cheating. It was retailed by Gübelin, but its beating heart is a Gruen caliber 157.
i-Dhs6S2D.jpg

And if you notice that some of these watches look rather small on my wrist, compactness and streamlining were in style for men's watches from the 1920s to the 1950s. They started getting a little bigger in the 1950s, but it wasn't until the 1960s that big, chunky men's watches became fashionable. But for the truly fashionable, a small rectangular watch never went out of style...
366306.JPG