Wah Pedal Problem

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by freespoken, Jan 17, 2013.

1. freespoken

freespoken Gretschie

Jul 31, 2011
    New Mexico
    I've got a new Jerry Cantrell Wah pedal and I'm hoping you folks might be able to help me. It works great when I use it and it alone. If I try to chain it in with my other pedals it stops working. Ideas?

2. musicdude

musicdude Electromatic

Jan 10, 2013
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Are you using the wah first in the chain of pedals? I think that makes a diffirence.

3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    any other pedals in the chain using a positive tip power supply? sounds like something is ground out.

4. freespoken

freespoken Gretschie

Jul 31, 2011
    New Mexico
    I've tried it at different locations in the chain with the same result. Works fine on it's own but not in the chain. I've powered it both with it's own power cord and with a DC Brick.

5. freespoken

freespoken Gretschie

Jul 31, 2011
    New Mexico
    Problem solved though I still don't quite know/believe why:

I had all the pedals in a chain powered by a DC Brick with the wah and nothing. Individually they worked fine with external power. I also couldn't get them to work in the "effects loop" of my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue.

I finally got around to trying the last idea. I put a battery in the wah with external power hooked up and it is working great. And for some reason the effects loop is working now too (probably me).

I'm a bit new to pedals, but should a wah with external power require a battery to work?

Tavo...I ordered an Atomic Brain from you the other day...can't wait to try it out with my El Capistan. Do you recommend hooking all of it into the effects loop of the amp or directly into the amp guitar jack?

6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    The El Capistan should NOT be in the DC brick at all and I'm not crapping on the DC Brick but you should know it has about 375ma power total for 9v if I recall..

The Strymon itself requires a MINIMUM of 250ma

In the DC Brick, all outputs are tied together at the ground plane, while the 9vDC and 18vDC sections has separate voltage regulators (obviously). The 9vDC section has 375mA total, while the 18vDC section provides the remaining 625mA (of the 1000mA total). But, as all the outputs are tied together at the ground level, it is essentially just a daisy chain in a box.

to answer you about putting effects into an amps effects loop, I would emphatically say HELL no. :) While some ambient effects like reverb and delay work well in effects loops in amplifiers, most amps effects loops are merely passive loops or meant for line level effects units (think rack effects).

Plus you dont want to put most boosts, preamps, drive boxes and fuzzes AFTER the amplifiers preamp (this predicated on an amps effects loop that may be parallel to the preamp amp or series).

My preamps are meant to be as close to the guitar as possible like you would put a Mic preamp directly after the microphone.

7. freespoken

freespoken Gretschie

Jul 31, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thanks for the advice and info! I'll comply immediately! :) A lot more info than I'd have gotten elsewhere

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.