Vox wah 847 issue

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by WingZero, Nov 26, 2021.

1. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    hello All,

I've had this vox wah for a long time, i have a love hate relationship with it, it sounds great, but as sturdy as it looks its damn unreliable.
    First the toe switch got jammed, I got a new one on warranty.
    Then the holder for the battery was not making contact properly, bought a power supply.

Then there was the fact that it would not engage, and sometime would...
    This last issue is quite weird, there seems to be no contact with the instrument input jack, so sometimes when I engage, the sounds just cut off - sometime it works as expected. WHen I do not engage, the signal goes through and I have sound... If I engage, and move the cable into the socket I do get some sounds but it does not stay in place since the pedal requires movements.

Anyone seen that before?
    I don't want to keep pouring repairs and time in this unit if it ain't gonna solve the thing, but I don't wanna buy another wah just for that either. It does sound good when it works, but unreliability prevents me from taking it to gig. I feel I could just change the jack socket maybe?

2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    TubeLife and Archtops like this.
  3. TubeLife

TubeLife Synchromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    nickurso and Archtops like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sounds like it might be a bad contact. Try a good contact cleaner or isopropanol(cleaning alcohol) first.

Sometimes the metal tabs get tired and bend away from the contact point. You could try bend them back but that’s postponing the inevitable. Replacing the jack input.

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Just a thought ..... dump it
    Sounds like your throwing good money after bad . What's next ??

Henry, audept, Waxhead and 1 other person like this.
  6. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Maybe replace it with one of the suggested pedals. Best of luck!

TubeLife likes this.
  7. TubeLife

TubeLife Synchromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Archtops likes this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    If I'd had that many problem with any pedal I'd have sold it long ago - good luck :D I'm not a fan of the Vox wah tone either.

Morley and Duncan wah pedals sound great and are super reliable.
    Auto step on/off Morley wahs are my fav :)
    They also make some small & light weight wahs

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  9. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    aren’t Morley and Vox the same pedals just rebranded?

10. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    I've rebent it, seems like the bad contact is not on the tip, but on the sleeve.

MY THEORY: the current is only passing through when the cable is in, so I suppose something in the cable sleeve serves for the AC current. if the signal was not passing at all, I wouldn't get sound when the wah is off, but I do get sound without any loss. I think it's something about the power not going through when I turn it on due to loose cable, yet not sure how to fix it.

From most posts here, seems like a new wah is a good solution too.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No connection according to the Morley website :)
    https://www.morleyproducts.com/the-morley-history/

My fav of their switchless wah pedals is this guy - sounds great & is small and light.

https://www.morleyproducts.com/mini-classic-switchless-wah-demo/

Once you try a switchless wah you won't bother with any old school switching one again ..... and it begs the obvious Q - if Morley can make small & light switchless wahs why doesn't everyone ??

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    MrWookiee likes this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You know what to do......
    lemon.jpg

thunder58, Waxhead and WingZero like this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    You’re thinking of Dunlop, who briefly made Vox Wah pedals.

dlew919 and Waxhead like this.
  14. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Cheers!

Ricochet likes this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi @WingZero,

I have one dozen of "VOX-Dunlop-and-the-like" Wah-Wah pedals and also other brands (SolaSound, Morley...), some stock, some rebuilt, some projects - so I may help o_O ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what I can say - from my experience of use/repair of the VOX-and-the-like models :

1 - The switch :

* Yes, it tends to accumulate dust, because of its place, so think to brush / clean it time to time.

* If it hesistates to click / engage / disengage or unexpectedly mute, most of the time it is a matter of height adjustment. You just have to screw/unscrew the nuts (one up, one under) until you find a reliable engagement / disengagement point that suits your needs. Use the correct flat wrench and you're done.

2 - The jacks :

* A classic jack à la Switchcraft may need tightening / retensionning / cleaning : easy.

* A PCB/onboard jack is more annoying : it can break, or have its contacts warped by an accidental foot pressure on the IN/OUT jacks. You may need to replace it, and so the tools to do the job... But often, you can meet success by tinkering it if the damage is not severe.

3 - The pot :

* Scratchy pot always arises at one time or another : it is the track and wiper which is clogged with dust and grime, or is worn by the round trips of the wiper with the years of use.

* If it is an open model, unprotected, don't hesitate to clean it regularly because indeed they generously collect dust and grime. I even remember removing some and rinse them under flowing hot water... :eek:

* If it is a sealed one, they last longer but when it's over, you have to change it (there are many quality replacement pots available from Dunlop and other - check the model references).

3 - The rest :

* The threadle pedal movements becomes hard and / or creaky : toroughly clean grime, dust and oxydation and lube the joint. It's purely mechanical, so most of the time it will be enough to be OK.

* The rack / pinion needs the same treatment. Put just enough pressure with the back wiper to apply the rack in the pinion teeths without slipping. Maybe you will have to readjust the rack / pinion relative position at one plus or minus tooth to achieve the desired wah sweep under your foot.

Good luck ! ;):)

A+!

new6659, Henry and TubeLife like this.
  16. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    1 - woah that is a lot of wahs!

2- my vox is a little different, my jacks are black boxes
    [​IMG]

I do have a switchcraft jack at hand right now, I guess I can switch one of these for a switchraft... if so I won't buy another wah, if it does not work... GIRLFRIEND WILL UNDERSTAND

17. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Wah is terrific by the way. Nearly all my boards have a wah or an envelope filter.

18. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Use ethyl alcohol if possible. 200 proof. Purest type there is. You might have to get it from the pharmacist. NEVER use rubbing alcohol as it has additives like wintergreen. For contact cleaner, use DeOxIt.

WingZero, Ricochet and audept like this.
  19. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    It's a cheap wah that you run to the ground and then replace with your backup and get another backup. It costs four times less than my true bypass CAE wah so I expect to go through four units to equal the cost of my main wah.

20. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    It's a cheap and made in China, YET I don't think higher durability is the ONLY factor in a higher price, actually not at all

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.