Vox AC15 or Fender 65” Princeton Reverb?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by aanstadt, May 22, 2021.

1. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I don't follow your reasoning. If I'm having trouble hearing details, such as words in a song or the notes of a chord, it helps me to turn up the volume.

The flatter curves at higher volumes suggest that different frequencies have more consistent apparent loudness when the volume is higher. Consistent loudness would seem to help the listener hear detail.

What I think is going on when the volume gets high is that both our hearing apparatus and the amplifying apparatus can become overwhelmed, so signal gets lost in noise. If you graphed the level of perceived detail on the y-axis, against the sound pressure on the x-axis, I think you would see a hill-shaped curve, with rising detail at low-to-moderate volumes and then falling detail as the volume became too great.

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s my point. Obviously, within the comfortable volume ranges prof normal experience, you’re not going to lose detail by increasing volume, but at volume levels beyond normal experience, things change. The curves flatten gradually until they get above 80dB, at which point they flatten dramatically. 80 dB is about the SPL of normal automotive traffic. If you get much above that, it starts to become less pleasant, at least for extended periods. As SPLs increase, above these levels, your ability to discern the detail will have to decrease.

Waxhead and Groutsch like this.
  3. aanstadt

aanstadt Electromatic

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta
    Okay complicated things even more. I finally got the Vox AC15 limited edition. But after a week o playing it, I just wasn’t feeling it. I couldn’t get the Fender 68 Deluxe Reverb’s reverb out of my head. Thankfully Guitar Center let me return the Vox. Brought this one home in its place. I made the right choice. Finally.

Attached Files:

Henry, new6659 and blueruins like this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I have one of those myself, and it’s a great sounding amp. If you ever have problems with extraneous noises, I would recommend replacing the reverb cables. Mine caused me some grief, but that one simple change made everything better.

I’d be interested to hear your opinions regarding the sound of the two channels. The “Vintage” channel is basically the stock Deluxe Reverb tone stack, but IIRC, there is no bright cap. The “Custom” channel is said to be a Bassman tone stack, but I see some similarity to the Super Reverb tone stack, as well, which is a good thing. It’s still a Fender sound, but the midrange is stronger.

Between an AC-15 and a Deluxe Reverb, there is no bad choice. Both are great amps and both well represent their respective families. That having been said, there’s a lot to be said for Fender’s reverb.

aanstadt and blueruins like this.
  5. Wildwood609

Wildwood609 Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Earth
    I have the Vox AC15HW and it’s the best thing ever.

today I bought this little limited AC10 with a creamback to keep in the living room.
    It sounds so good and very versatile. I’m definite Vox guy lol.

Attached Files:

GlenP, aanstadt, Chmason85 and 2 others like this.
  6. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Yeah. I'm a real sucker for the Vox. ...and I was never a Vox guy. ...then I played through one. Absolutely glorious

GlenP likes this.
  7. aanstadt

aanstadt Electromatic

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta
    I did love the Vox. Just not quite as much as I did the Fender. Maybe I should start saving for the AC10 as a second amp. I didn’t see the AC10 with the Creamback.

GlenP and blueruins like this.
  8. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been a Fender guy for longer than I'm going to mention. Still am. But I have found that the smaller Vox's tone controls offer a greater degree of versatility than similar Fenders. If I'm shopping for 15 watts or less, I'm getting the Vox.

aanstadt likes this.
  9. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I have a Vox, and a Tech 21 Blonde. Just a suggestion, if you have the Fender try a Tech 21 Liverpool. Just adds a little versatility as an alternative to having both amps. Or the equivalent Joyo clones, American Sound and AC Tone. That’s my solution since I don’t really have the space for both amps anyway.

aanstadt likes this.
  10. aanstadt

aanstadt Electromatic

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta

11. aanstadt

aanstadt Electromatic

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta
    Thanks so much. I’m really new to the pedal game so this is great! Really appreciate it.

blueruins and GlenP like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.