Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Vox ac 15 or Fender mustang 111

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Beatlecharles, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Beatlecharles

Beatlecharles Electromatic

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    still undecided about what to put my new Gretsch 5124 through , in my price range at the moment are the vox av15 and Fender Mustang 111 , they are both in the 200 - 250 range in the uk , if I went for the vox maybe I'd need a echo unit to go with it while the fender could prob be used with on board effects .....any advice ?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Advice or opinions? Check out the AC10 and you'll have enough left to get a reverb pedal.

TW4990 and TSims1 like this.
  3. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I'm curious which Vox Ac15 version you're looking at?
    If it's the ac15vr I would be inclined to the Mustang 3. If it's any of the other Ac15 versions I would lean Vox. Or as Englishman said an Ac10 and reverb pedal.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Beatlecharles

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    Sorry wrote it wrong I meant vox AV 15

6. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    In that case Mustang would be my choice. Simply more versatile and many more tonal options especially with the Fender Fuse software. The only thing that may make me look twice at the Vox Av is it's a hybrid amp with tube preamp.
    I do believe the Vox Av has Chorus, Delay & Reverb. So additional time based pedals wouldn't be necessary.
    If there's any way to try them out let your ears decide. Good luck on the amp search.

7. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Check out the Youtube channel of a picker called mytwangyguitar. He is a member here and posts once in a while. If I recall correctly, he stated that his videos were recorded with a Mustang III.

Or did I make that up? Anybody else remember that?

8. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    The Mustang III does sound great. But now that Fender are focusing on the Mustang GT, the Fuse software is unlikely to be updated further. It is already a struggle to install on Mac OS X.

For that reason, I fell out of love with my Mustang III and switched to a good old Peavey Bandit. Solid state, built like a tank, sounds fantastic and will keep running as long as there is electricity.

You can pick up a 2nd hand Bandit for under £80 in the UK. Just a suggestion.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. Beatlecharles

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    Would you recommend using a echo unit with a peavey bandit if trying to get a rock a billy sound

10. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well the mustang will not be killed off. It will still work and have all the sounds and settings you've put into it. The software may not be updated but it presumably worked and you can continue to change settings on the amp - just like the bandit. Of course if you prefer the bandit then that's all irrelevant.

11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Skip the Vox. I've played and heard them and they sound like poop. Unless you like poop of course. Now the TUBE Vox amps are a whole different story.

Get the Mustang! :)

12. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Yup. I just use a Zoom G1on (£49 from Amazon) in the FX loop of the Bandit for slapback delay and reverb duties.

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 21.33.14.png

13. Beatlecharles

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    Thanks everyone lots to think about think it's between the fender mustang 3 and the Peavey bandit with separate effects unit and I keep changing my mind which to go for !!!

14. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    One further observation for you. The Bandit's inputs respond really well to external boost & overdrive pedals, the Mustang does not. Just in case you want to add a pedal board at some point.

Ricochet likes this.
  15. Londonbus

Londonbus Electromatic

Oct 19, 2012
    Richland, WA
    Mustang III (or whatever the new Mustang GT equivalent is), without question. Those things are little miracle boxes. And this is coming from someone with quite a few amps to play through.

16. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I also agree with the Mustang....great tone and more versatile.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have fond memories of my Bandit but given the two choices and where you're at I'd opt for versatility. Mustang 3 or whatever it's current iteration is.

Get acquainted with the different amp models, and if you and/or your wallet are ready for the next step, get the real thing.

18. oldtoast

oldtoast Electromatic

Apr 14, 2016
    London
    I like my Mustang III a lot - you don't really need Fuse as the LED lets you edit most things.
    Things it doesn't let you edit include FX order but I don't find that a big deal.
    It gets rockabilly sounds well, though I'm no rockabilly player.
    The one thing that can seem daunting is the range of sounds available - it does a take a while to get the best out of it.
    Make sure you get a 'version 2' if buying s/h.
    I expect you've seen the newer Mustang GT100 is getting mixed 'not so good' reviews.

19. Beatlecharles

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    I am looking at. Mustang 3 at the moment

20. Beatlecharles

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    what about vox valvetronic

21. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I had one of the table top units for awhile. There were some decent sounds in there, but there are better available on the market now.