Volume Knobs in the wrong spot.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TheBiggestJerk, Jan 29, 2020.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, I agree - it's also a positive point of the Gretsch design about the MV on the lower bout.

A+!

shrews824 likes this.
  2. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

It’s a Gretsch - you get used to it. The mud switch vs the pickup selector switch messes me up more

shrews824 likes this.
  3. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Owning and loving both the G2420T and the G5420T I have to admit that the Streamliner beats the Electromatic in terms of neck volum access:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. adauria

adauria Gretschie

Dec 22, 2016
    Wake Forest, NC
    As others have said, I go full on with the pickup volumes and work the master volume. I usually keep it at about 70-80% on my jet and near or at full on my 5420.

-Andrew

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, I agree.

I only have controls on one Gretsch that are confusing to figure out. Lol

20191015_152307.jpg

6. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I like the master volume right where it is on gretsch. I have a 6120 now with a mud switch which I have found to be a lot more useful than I imagined.
    When I had my 5420 I never used the lower three knobs. I never felt like they really did anything. Just went from loud to muffled.

G5422T likes this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, I too love the mud switch. I would like to have it on my Phoenix, but don't get me thinking about that! Lol

20200113_152322~2.jpg

Parttime likes this.
  8. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    i love the master volume position on most gretsch guitars, it's in the perfect place on my green thingy.

new6659 likes this.
  9. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    big fam of the master volume.
    Big fan of the mud switch.
    I rarely touch the individual pickup volumes and would like to replace them with cruise control to regulate my playing speed and air conditioning.

G5422T likes this.
  10. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, I don't know.
    I always played with all volumes (master/pickups) full up, the amp volume set in a way I wouldn't kill people, using pedals to boost for solos.
    Recently, a thread on this forum got me curious about using the amp volume the way it should be (master dimed, preamp at noon, and I'm talking about a 50w amp) using the master volume (or the pickup volume, on non-Gretsch guitars) to achieve clean sound, dirty sound and solo sound. It's a bit more complicated (and loud :)) than my usual style of play, but I love to learn new things. I discovered that, especially on my Rally, I could obtain a sound richer of harmonics (especially when cleaning up the Hi-Lo tron) than with my usual setup. And this would work (on a less effective scale) also for my P90s and Dyna equipped guitars.
    At some point, I found out that reaching Gretsch master volume it's not as easy as reach a Gibson-Layout pickup volume. Considering that I'm almost always on my bridge pickup, that knob position (close to the Bigsby handle) really suits me better than a MV Gretsch position.
    For now, I do better leaving the master alone, so probably having it on a different layout (let's say on the knobs closer to the handle) would allow me to use both pickups easily. Now it's not really different as I'm always on the bridge volume alone and the other pickup is off, but I admit I even though about modify the master position on my Rally
    Maybe I just need some practice. ;)

11. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I only use the master volume so i got rid of the rest....Keep it Simple!

12. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    When your playing try touching knobs that give ya problems just to associate space.. my hand searches for my bigsby when I swap guitars cuz there not all at same height...

13. Jetclubguy

Jetclubguy Electromatic

Apr 9, 2017
    West Chazy. NY
    I gotta Jet Club in a swap a while back because I really liked the tone and feel of it. It is very basic with 2 knobs, a single tone and volume control below the bridge. I rewired it with concentric knobs so I can now control tone and volume for each pickup, and everything is still near the bridge. I had a Tennessean many years ago and found the master volume placement a bit awkward, bit as someone else mentioned, it just takes motor memory.

14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Locations are not an issue for me. They work well but I don’t do volume swells. I set my individual pickup volumes and the master tone and don’t need to touch them again.

15. EarleG

EarleG Electromatic

Dec 19, 2013
    Hendersonville TN
    I use the master primarily with the 2 volumes and tone control up all the way. Sometimes I back off the
    bridge volume a little when in the neck + bridge position. I set the amp controls to the neck pickup sound
    wanted and that works fine for the other positions. I put a bleeder capacitor on the master volume control
    and that works really well preventing muffled sound when turning down the master.

16. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I replaced the individual volume pots with individual bass cuts. These thin out the pickups in a way that sounds like going from single coil to full BT Filtertron.

I haven’t been brave enough to strip out the wiring in my Falcon yet but when I do this is my plan for this guitar too.

the effect is more subtle than it sounds and really easy to implement. Well worth trying if you find the individual volume pots useless.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.