Volume Knobs in the wrong spot.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TheBiggestJerk, Jan 29, 2020.

1. TheBiggestJerk

TheBiggestJerk Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    The Moon
    How do you guys/gals use your volume knob?
    Do you use the master or the individual controls?
    I find the master awkward and the individuals to be in the wrong place.
    I play a streamliner and it’s a hand big jump up to master and I can’t remember which knobs do the rest because they’re in the wrong order.
    Anyone else feel like this? DBDA6BF7-5591-4BB8-8EDD-5CAC50CFDBB4.jpeg

2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I mostly use the master and the bridge volume, sometimes tone knob - it's not wrong to me. The placement is fine for me. There are only 4 knobs, I am sure you have the ability to figure it out eventually. Or you can move the switches to where you want them.

benjwri and RoyClark like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I like the master volume where it is. I never touch the individuals once I have them set. It's just a matter of muscle memory/getting used to things.

Outlaw and RoyClark like this.
  4. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I swap things around. I like the tone knob where the neck volume is then the neck and bridge volumes are always in the same spot whether I’m playing a guit with a tone knob or one with a tone switch

5. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

Seems pretty normal to me and like Henry said you'll get used to it. I leave the master alone most of the time at about 3/4 full and dial in the individual volumes. You want confusing try this:p

IMG_20180803_112010.jpg

6. TheBiggestJerk

TheBiggestJerk Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    The Moon
    That’s gorgeous!

dak55 likes this.
  7. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I really want to try one of those out, or the GC FSR G2627T that most don't seem to care for. I keep thinking if I wait long enough, the price will come on down some more.;)

8. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

If you really want one my advice would be to wait for a 5622t to show up at a price you can live with. These show up with some regularity. Reverb has 2 that I found. The first one at $650 isn't a horrible price but if you're patient you can do better. It is a far superior instrument for performance and appearance than its Streamliner counterpart. The Super HiLo Trons on the 5622 are incredible pickups. In fact some retailer this past holiday were selling 2 pickup versions at a ridiculously low price and there were folks here just buying them so they could steal the pickups for other projects. If there is a downside to the 3 pickup version it's weight. Mine was just over 13 lbs. Heavy beast but man it sounded good. I think you might be disappointed with the 2627.

https://reverb.com/item/31792045-gretsch-g5622t-georgia-green

https://reverb.com/item/31721501-gr...-block-double-cutaway-semi-hollow-with-bigsby

new6659 and Jeff67 like this.
  9. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    That's probably what I'll do. Unless I find a 2627 for a super- low price in a couple years. Might be good for some mods...

10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The individual pickup volumes were in the wrong places on my old 2622t too. The neck volume pot was where the tone should be.

I keep the individual pup volumes wide open on my Gretsch’s all the time (unless I turn the neck down to zero to use the pup selector to do fun stutter stuff).
    Personally, I love the placement of the master volume, but pretty much keep the master open all of time too!:D

11. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I have a G5435 FSR where they placed the master tone where the bridge pu volume normally would be. I'm going to have to move that.

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I open up the master initially and set the individual pups so the volumes seem the same no matter where I have the selector set. Then I back the master off to about 8-8 so that when I need a quick boost I can turn it up then back down to 7-8. I don’t have a tone I have a mud switch and love it.

13. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    My favorite knob configuration is on my G3161 Historic & my PRS's. One volume & one tone on the lower treble bout. The traditional Gretsch layout makes no sense to me.

RomanS likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I want to switch up my 4 knobs to be
    1. master volume,
    2. balance (both pickup volumes in one knob),
    3. bridge tone and
    4. neck tone.

15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Strat knob placement has always bothered me.
    Strats kind of bother me in general.
    I like them, but I also don’t.:)

MKunie and hcsterg like this.
  16. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I have everything wide open on my Falcon & just use the master volume knob.

It seems just in the right place for me, just a case of getting used to it I guess..

MKunie, Outlaw, G5422T and 2 others like this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I agree @calebaaron666 ... That's why I only kept my Modded Squier Std Strat 2005 and got rid of my Fender US 2012 Std Strat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No more Fender guitars at home, only Squiers are tolerated : that's way enough for what it is...

Well, this can be solved quite easily :

1 - according to your picture, you can swap 3 and 5 pots : that's what I did on my Gretsch when it was not done. Usually, the wiring is long enough to allow this position swap.

2 - if you want progressivity in your 2 PU volume adjustments, you can replace the 2 A500K PU volume pots for C500K (C taper = reverse log).

The control that I use the most is the Master Volume. Sometimes I use the Master Tone, and barely the Pickup Volumes - In fact, I don't think to use them, I should... My custom built guitars have only a MV and a MT, by the way.

[​IMG]

A+!

G DynaTron and calebaaron666 like this.
  18. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    The master volume is in the perfect place for me, and like another poster I set the two other volumes where I want them and use the master for overall volume settings. I find it much more convenient than, for example, the Gibson two volume, two tone layout.

19. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    For my 6119, Master volume is superb, I love that position and use it almost exclusively. But pot number 5 in your diagram is tone for me, not pickup volume.

20. shrews824

shrews824 Country Gent

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    I'm like others as well. Pickups - wide open. Control overall volume via the master. I actually like the placement. To me, with the Bigsby arm placement, to have the master volumes around the bridge area wouldn't make sense. It seems the arm is always in the way. With the master volume up front it's a straight shot to it with no obstruction.

hcsterg and TheBiggestJerk like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.