Vintage man!

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Wayne Gretschzky, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Ok... I can't take it any longer! It's been over a week since anyone posted in the vintage section. Ordinarily that's not a big deal, but with the world being shut-down, I'm wondering what everyone is doing?

Anyway, here's a photo I dug up circa 1993... my humble collection of vintage Gretsch guitars (at the time). That particular Jet Firebird, and the 6119 are long gone, but the one on the far left is a modified and refined '56 Streamliner that will always be in the stable. Let's jus say that I've grown the collection a bit over the subsequent 25+ years!

Hope everyone is staying healthy!

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 11.07.15 AM.png

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've got a couple to contribute that are currently still around.

1956 6189:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    & the 1976 7628:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Committee is down at the shop but I've pulled out the Streamliner a few times in the past couple of weeks, it continues to be a treat :)

3. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Vintage 50s Streamliners have always been an under-appreciated model, and that kept their pricing relatively low, which led to me buying more than a couple... which then led to bigger and better things!

3 Streamliners.JPG

Lunchmeat, nickurso, michelb and 21 others like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    No vintage Gretsch in my stable anymore. Sadly.
    Among many others I used to own a 6119, too. Obviously from 1961. One of the last batches with just one pickup. It did not have the trestle bracing anymore and the body was not as deep as the body of an earlier 6119. Very delicate guitar. Light as a feather.

new6659, rob batz and Ati EDGE like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Shhhhh... I'm on the hunt for a vintage Jag Tan SL...nice one by the way. Can I have it?

kidding..no really.

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    They're the wrong color for you now! Nice trio. I especially like the Tenny.

7. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Both the Jag Tan and Sunburst ('58) can be for sale. The Jag Tan has been promised to an acquaintance who had some sudden health issues. I told him I would hold onto it until he decided if he wanted to pursue the deal. If he's not interested in a month or so, we can talk!

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. Ati EDGE

Ati EDGE Electromatic

May 23, 2013
    Budapest, Hungary
    These are my current vintage guitars... and I am at home with them during these hard days.

I am a sunburst fan ;) 1964 6124 Single Anniversary, 1964 6117 Double Anniversary and 1967 6117 Double Anniversary. All these three are similar, but pretty different also very good guitars. My favorite one is the stickered one in the middle. I have purchased the another two to have a second guitar with the same specs. but neck shape, body size, bracing, sound, feel of the guitar are very different so I have to sell those two and I need luck to find a similar one like my main one in the middle :)

gretschannies.jpg

9. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    My 1957 Streamliner IMG_20200312_180813734_HDR.jpg

10. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    On top of that, this post also demonstrates how far photography has come since 1993!:D

S. Rock likes this.
  11. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    There has never been a filtertroned jet in the family. My brother is hot after one. I have only ever played one, a 59 Duo Jet in a shop in London and it was super light and resonant.

Why did you sell it?

For my contribution to the discussion, this one has been with me since 1988 for the second half of its life, but tomorrow he takes a journey to a new home in Stockholm.

IMG_20191103_113610862.jpg

Outlaw, michelb, Ati EDGE and 6 others like this.
  12. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    1956 Streamliner 6190

IMG_8406.jpg

michelb, Ati EDGE, Gancho and 9 others like this.
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Still only got the 3.

1957 6120
    [​IMG]

1957/58 6122 Gent,first batch.
    [​IMG]

1965/66 6120,the first Gretsch i ever bought back in 1988.
    [​IMG]

I do have an Ex,
    1977 Super Chet
    [​IMG]

Lunchmeat, ZackyDog, Outlaw and 15 others like this.
  14. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I was born in '58 ..... sorry , that's all I got :p

dafreeze likes this.
  16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I wanna see pics of 58 6120’s!
    Anything ya got!

I ordered some plain pickup rings and a custom pickguard from Quickguards to turn my 6120-60 into a poor man’s poison ivy sig model.

17. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Here's mine... 1958, first year Filtertrons, and heavy trestle bracing.

Unknown.jpeg

Outlaw, Groutsch, michelb and 11 others like this.
  18. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Are you going with a B3 Bigsby too? That's the most notable feature on Ivy's 6120.

19. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    So does your 58 does have Trestle Bracing or just heavy bracing? I’ve never seen one up close. I thought they were full hollow, yes? My 95 6120-60 most certainly does NOT have TB, and it also has a zero fret, so it’s not going to be super accurate in those regards.
    I go back and forth on this. I think if I could find a nice B3 that has a hinge with screw holes that line up with the holes in my B6, I’d get one. That would let me switch back and forth, and I’d be cool with that.
    Right now, there’s actually a B3 for sale on reverb that the seller claims is from 1958!
    However, was Ivy’s B3 even a 58? And was her B3 added by Gretsch or by someone else in the 27 years between production and her buying the guitar?

So far I’ve installed some TVJ Ray Butts with chrome PAF covers (Ivy’s had PAF, guess her guitar cane out late in the year). They look beautiful, but more importantly they have the tone of those latter Cramps records from 85-04. I also switched out the gold hardware.
    05E5FDBD-C0A1-4E82-896A-9819D2D92308.jpeg

I’ve also ordered plain gold pickup rings, and a pickguard with Ivy’s sig in the signpost from Quickguards. Actually, I just received an email that the order has been shipped today!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Outlaw, michelb, audept and 3 others like this.
  20. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I'm not sure ... I think the B3 was added after she bought the guitar, as I have seen pictures of here with a V-cut Bigsby.

But then again, she didn't have only one 6120, but at least a second one as backup on tour, which were at least two different guitars (one in sunburst finish, one in orange and maybe more).

Hm ... longer strings behind the bridge ... would mean lower frequency in the secondary vibration going on there... Hm ... I'm not sure (although that is not my name, not even Joe...). What was the intention in changing from a 6 to a 3? Handle location ... would be my only idea ... neck angle issues are said to be pfusch-repaired this way, but I don't really get my head around that, as a 3 and a 6 have the main bar in the same distance from the top, or don't they?

Anyway, this is a nice thread. It may even qualify to being called a Fred.

I love all the different guitars with details (hours to look into ... when, where, why what was changed, ...), and the evidence that at least a few of those nice wooden boxes with wires and stuff made it through some 60+ years - not even sure I'm built to last that long (I'll know in 23 years).

calebaaron666 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.