Vintage Guitar - 1962 Gretsch Country Gentleman Custom

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I really like that, but I’d like it more without the mutes.

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
I really like that, but I’d like it more without the mutes.
Mutes. The guitar equivalent of fender skirts. I still think of that guitar sound in Herman’s Hermits’ “Mrs Brown You’ve Got a Lovely Daughter”. I just can’t take it seriously. I remember seeing them on Ed Sullivan with a handkerchief wrapped around the strings up by the bridge. OMG. Am I that old?

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Mutes. The guitar equivalent of fender skirts.
The perfect description. One of Jimmie Websters gimmicks, in tne case of Gretsch.

I mute with the side of my hand, and that’s just fine. I have heard a few interesting songs where they actually used mechanical mutes, “Popcorn”, from the early ‘70s, comes to mind. My experience has been that these mutes are difficult to keep in adjustment and can easily push the guitar out of tune. To me, it’s more hassle than it’s worth.

Gstreamliner

Electromatic
Jul 21, 2014
boise
A couple years ago a double cut 6120 with the larger traditional f holes was being offered for sale.Wish I could have snagged that one.
Oh well....😐

DavyH

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Aurora, Colorado
Mutes. The guitar equivalent of fender skirts. I still think of that guitar sound in Herman’s Hermits’ “Mrs Brown You’ve Got a Lovely Daughter”. I just can’t take it seriously. I remember seeing them on Ed Sullivan with a handkerchief wrapped around the strings up by the bridge. OMG. Am I that old?
I saw that Sullivan show, too. Yes, we are indeed that old!

As to the mutes...
When I got my (Harrison-spec before anyone heard of George Harrison) '63 6122, I tried out the mutes. Worked fine EXCEPT they made everything go sharp.
Fail.

Bob Perrone

Gretschie
Mar 7, 2017
allentown, pa
Well, I opted to get the Vintage Select 6122 with the double mutes. Impeccable workmanship from the Japanese factory. Never any trouble with the mutes, which I'll normally use on the bass strings (I play fingerstyle - like Chet) and it gives a nice thump and my right hand is free not needing to manually mute.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Well, I opted to get the Vintage Select 6122 with the double mutes. Impeccable workmanship from the Japanese factory. Never any trouble with the mutes, which I'll normally use on the bass strings (I play fingerstyle - like Chet) and it gives a nice thump and my right hand is free not needing to manually mute.
Sounds like a beauty.