Vintage Fender Amp Repair ?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Dana Rudd, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Any one have any experience with this company in Petaluma, California? Open to suggestions of other repair companies also.

I have a Fender Super Twin Reverb 185w manufactured in 1979. I has never been serviced so it needs a total recap job for starters and a thorough test and inspection.

Can probably buy a new amp for less than repairs. We'll see, may surprise me. Thanks.

Xochi2 likes this.
  2. Xochi2

Xochi2 Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    There is a gentleman that lives in Cottage Grove, MN (a suburb of the Twin Cities) that does wonderful work. His business is, "RD Electronics." Here is a link to his Face Book page.(https://www.facebook.com/RDamps) He resurrected my '65 blackface Fender Bandmaster two years ago and I cannot thank him enough! I would not hesitate going to him in the near future. He's about a 90 minute drive from where I reside. (Not sure about your situation and shipping.)

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    185 watts? Well, considering that you're in Wyoming, I guess that there's enough space to crank that rascal up wide open.
    In Indy, I'd take it to Uncle Albert for repairs.

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Shipping a Twin would definitely kill the deal imo. $300.00 round trip shipping and $200.00 in repairs. Yow!
    Now, a road trip might be in order;)

Xochi2 likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I will never give up on my real hand wired twin for a new one unless it burns down.

MotorCentaur and Xochi2 like this.
  6. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Uncle Albert and Vintage Fender Amp Repair are very reputable technicians. I’ve used both.
    I would encourage you to find a reputable person near you and fix the amp. A handwired amp is more reliable and better tone than any PCB counterpart in my opinion.
    My gigging amp is a 1966 Princeton Reverb used in sunlight, heat, humidity, cold, ...you name it. Rock solid and incredible tone. Not to mention getting hauled all over the place. Nothing beats a handwired Fender amp. You can buy new but those PCB’s will eventually go faulty in the traces. Too much heat and voltage for those thin traces in my opinion.

Xochi2 likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I live in Petaluma and never heard of this place but that doesn't mean anything. Best of luck.

8. Xochi2

Xochi2 Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    ROAD TRIP!!! Looks like Dana Rudd's pilgrimage is about 14 hrs. (from Greybull, WY. to Cottage Grove, MN., might be asking a bit too much.

9. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Those Super Twins come from really cheap over here in Italy. I dunno why but there’s a whole lot of those late 70s Black Face in the country. I saw one go for 400 euros just the other day. It’s another amp that I don’t really need, but I’d love having one at home. I would be a bargain solution for someone wanting fender cleans with no need to move the amp at gigs.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  10. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, the Super Twin Reverb needs a crane or a forklift to be displaced. It also have some rare Compactron tubes 6C10 and 6CX8. I only saw one for service circa 10 years ago :

http://acruhl.freeshell.org/mga/schematics/amps/supertwin.jpg

This model tried to compete with the Boogie MKIIA/B/C, with a limited success though. Except for Ted Nugent, who only needed six of them... :eek::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A+!

Lionpotato and G DynaTron like this.
  11. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    The Fender Super Twin is the cleanest amp on the planet. If you crank it the cops will show up eventually. It's also the heaviest (that's why they come cheap). The 6CX8 and 6C10 tubes are getting harder to find. The last one of these beasts I had only set me back $300 dollars (mint condition with reverb). Get a flight case and a hand truck. In my top ten amps of all time.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I would ask for a list of past customers ( name and numbers ) and find out their reviews on the company . It's not uncommon and they should understand if there a decent repair shop .

** I had a contractor who supplied me a list of past customers with the contract ....stupid me should have called a few . Then a future customer of his called me and I was honest with them , but not in too bad a way , just honest . The contractors famous answer to me sometimes was " oh , you can pick that up at Lowe's " ....imagine , giving him 30K and I gotta run to Lowe's ..... live and learn , never again

13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Flight case, yes! These amps are not unmanageable, you just need to get it outta your head that its a one man job to carry it. Fender really should have put side handles on it ala Marshall Cab's, dunno wth they were thinking. Nothing in the world sounds better than a healthy Twin imo.

14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    And 12x15" JBL'so_O

hcsterg likes this.
  15. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    ... Or a double handle, like in AC30. I toured with it and it’s relatively easy to move AC30s with 2 people. There’s alway a singer out there doing nothing! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.