Vintage Burns Tremolo Tailpiece....

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Back in Black, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    If you have a Burns unit...in any of its variants...you have a buyer...$$$...

I can modify any one of the other variant models...

Photo is of the replica produced by MoJo in Germany...and is no longer available...

None of what's currently showing on sites like Reverb/Ali Express...and numerous others are no longer available either...

Thanks...

BIB...

Mojo Burns Reproduction Tremolo Tailpiece.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    YouFellowRebels likes this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK

What if it was still attached? I don't suppose anyone would miss this weird looking thing.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...139849?hash=item1a9a13d1c9:g:12QAAOSw56FcrzFy

Back in Black likes this.
  3. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    UD...

Thanks so much for the post...I've sent off a message...If they'll ship UPS...I'll take it...

Thanks again...

BIB...

4. afire

afire Country Gent

5. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Is he still making the bridges?

6. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    I was unable to get an email response...so I placed a call to Britain...spoke with owner...committed to purchase...awaiting ''evening'' e-mail response...to finalize sale and shipping from Britain to Canada...he said he could ship Wednesday...not buying the guitar and case...but all the guitar hardware...I'm not getting the ''wood and case''...but I'm not paying international size/weight shipping costs for something I have no use for...and will likely scrap...

I'll post again...when I know for sure package has shipped...

Best...BIB

7. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    HH...

Peter advised ''no''...stock exhausted...no intention of making any more...the part was basically cosmetic only...no spring...inoperative...bar is pinned...

With help from Uncle Daddy...found an original in Derby Shire England...finalizing purchase/shipping now...

Best...BIB...

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  8. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    UD...

Done and done...shipped today...please don't ask what I paid for three Burns knobs...the Bowtie bridge assembly and the Burns Tremolo Tailpiece assembly (complete/arm/screws)...

I guess...considering the rarity of the tailpiece...and the gained popularity due to Malcolm Young...the price was fair...and I'm happy to have it...

Now all I have to be concerned about is the shipping impacts due to the pandemic...currently having lots of issues with UPS...delivery scheduling notices telling me last week that package ''out for delivery''...so that would mean it's in Barrie Ontario...45 minutes from my home...same package this morning...''held in Louisville Kentucky due to missing documentation''...go figure...

Much thanks...hoping I can return the favor...

BIB...

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It's weird to think the useless tremolo on my 65 Corvette might be worth more than the guitar lol.

65 CVT.JPG

10. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    EM...

You're absolutely right...

Attached is a package of parts...just shipped today for me from Derbyshire England...

The most beautiful package of parts I've seen in a long time...the 60's Burns Trem is ''naturally aged just right...as are the four attachment screws...

All I need now is for UPS to co-operate...this package is one of four I'm waiting on to complete my MY ''Salute Jet'' build...

The Bowtie bridge...and Burns knobs may help a ''Lennon Correct'' Rick 325 modifier...

BIB...

July 2020 Burns Vintage Tremolo Tailpiece.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I understand that you need this device for your build. I had one of these on a vintage Corvette like the one @englishman has. Seriously: This is not an engineering highlight.

12. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I strung mine backwards and it stays in tune way better :)

loudnlousy likes this.
  13. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hey Wayne,

That particular unit has been gone for a long time.

The items in the first attached photo arrived today, the Burns Tremolo and other Burns parts, from the UK, everything else from Angela's in Maryland.

The ''Hot Rod'' harness and other items in the second photo from TV Jones, I've had for a week. the black rectangular pieces in the sleeves next to the harness are foam buffering pads.

I'm still awaiting arrival of four Malcolm Young Signature truss rod covers, but not having them yet, will not hinder completion of my build.

Not showing in the photos are a set of tuning keys, and the Burns labeled arm for the Burns tremolo tailpiece. this piece is an original from the early 1960's, real nice, naturally aged patina.

Hoping to be complete by the weekend, some relic work to be performed on the parts prior to installation, nothing to caustic, a little vinegar and hot salt water, stain with no damage.

The third photo is the Burns Guitar, the Burns parts were stripped from. The guitar was available with a case, all I wanted was the parts as shown, primarily the Burns Tremolo.

BIB.

DSCF1247.JPG DSCF1248.JPG vintage Burns guitar.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  14. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
  15. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hello amp360,

That iteration was available for a while on some of the far East sites, like AIi Express.

It is different in several areas, perimeter shaping of the unit, the cast string rest, larger exposure area around spring. It could be modified, you could get it close, but not quite there.

The unit that is very popular right now is the early 1960's version that is installed on Malcolm Young's ''Beast'' same unit as on the two Gretsch replicas, the Signature, and the Salute models.

A few months ago, I would have bought one of those, and modified it.

I consider myself very lucky, thanks to one of our members, who found the ''Real McCoy'' still attached the the little Burns guitar in the above post. It was in a shop in Derbyshire England, The two operators Jonathan (Jono) and Martin are great to deal with, I spoke with both of them on the phone. They currently have the largest cashe of original JMI era VOX amps I've ever seen. I paid a high price for the few original Burns parts in the attached photo, I probably would have paid more.

When I bought my Burns Trem unit two weeks ago, it was at the time the only one being offered for sale anywhere. Since then one other became available, it was sold almost immediately...and no not to me, I tried, but was unable to contact the seller in time...it was in the $500. range.

The Burns unit is in excellent condition considering it's approx. 60 years old, and very nicely naturally aged.

I'm slowly detailing, wiring, installing finishing parts on my MY ''Salute Jet'' now, currently sorting through the bridge grounding, a few more sessions and I should be close, hopefully ready to plug in by the weekend.

Best...and thank you for the resource, you guys blow my my mind. you're the best.

P.S. Somebody should probably grab up that Jay Turser Mosrite Replica, looks like a little jewel, Jay Turser's build quality is excellent, hardware alone is worth more than the asking price.

BIB.

DSCF1247.JPG

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  16. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Cool. Who is Malcom Young?

17. branny

branny Electromatic

Feb 10, 2013
    Uk
    Here’s some pictures of guitars I recently sold, all different versions of Malcolms Beast.

Attached Files:

Back in Black and Tadhg like this.
  18. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Nice. I assume you won't be drilling the huge hole for the spring with the Burns..

19. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Excellent work branny.

My Burns tailpieces are coming to me from a small shop in Derbyshire England.

I had to pay his asking price for the guitar/case mine was attached to.

The second one is also attached to the same early sixties model Burns guitar, I'm hoping to do a little bit better on the second one...the first unit with the Burns knobs and bowtie bridge was $$$$$. I have committed to the second one, I really hope I'm going to be able to get it for less.

This guy has some amazing vintage pieces, including a cashe of rare JMI era VOX amps. I don't know how well these fragile tube amps will make the long journey from England to Canada, but I'm seriously considering.

Still waiting to hear back from the shop owner.

Best...

BIB...

vintage Burns guitar.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.