Vintage amps

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by JaredmacNeil90, Sep 25, 2021.

1. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    my s/n is 493

hcsterg and Waxhead like this.
  2. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

20210825_190934.jpg 1966 Supro Thunderbolt, recently back in action.
    20210825_190853.jpg

3. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    @JaredmacNeil90 @swivel @NowEarThis thanks for the detailed posts.
    Yes, does make sense having the extra clean channel.
    Also, harmonica players, that's one thing I hadn't thought about.
    Liking this thread a lot, a lotta gems on show!
    Love them Boogies, early ones are all hand-wired from what I understand, one of a kind!
    @hcsterg enjoy the beauty or is it a beast :confused:

JaredmacNeil90 likes this.
  4. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Awesome amps!
    Everything Leo made was gold!

JC higgy likes this.
  5. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Gretschie

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
  6. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    It sure is but it’s kind of messy lol I had it apart once or twice lol

bhatta likes this.
  7. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    My '58:

Looked like this when I bought it -
    [​IMG]

Looks like this nowadays -
    [​IMG]

8. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    LWR
    My BF Champ and P2P handwired Kalamazoo Model One, and behind the Guild Starfire is my 1950s vintage Valco Sportsman.

IMG_2913.JPG

I also have the '93 USA Made Blues DeLuxe (between the LPC and L7) but I don't count that as vintage, nor is the Carls Custom Amps 5E3 (to the right of the L7) a vintage amp, though it is a vintage circuit design.

Gone but not forgotten (sold long ago): SF Bassman and SF Pro Reverb; these were sold long ago along with the '73 hardtail Strat and the stereo equipment. Here you can better see the Valco Sportsman (which I have) resting on top of the Gay-Wilcox Recordio (which I have).

70s_Strat_Front_1.JPG

9. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Gretschie

Dec 29, 2020
    GNV FLA USA
    The lead singer I was in a side band with had one of these, with the 15" (or was that the "III?"). It was perfect for what we were doing (Americana/Y'Allternative originals)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  10. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    they’re fantastic. great growl at about 7 on the dial

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. That's the same experience I have with MKIIC, MKIII and MKIV I had in for repairs. MKIIA and B are very similar in tone, but after these models, it's done for tone...

That said, I still never had in hands the very latest MK series to rewise my opinion ! ;)

Yes. Lower S/N is due to a spearate numering scheme tied to the 15" models. The MKIIA has been produced between 1978 and 1980 at the latest, with the S/N° organized as follow :

- 12" models : 3000-5574
    - 15" models : 300-549

I had these informations from The Boogie Board website, but can't retrieve the link... :oops:

A+!

13. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Gretschie

Dec 29, 2020
    GNV FLA USA
    I have a few odds and ends. Mostly odds. ;)

'60s Sunn 200S, technically a bass amp but I use it for guitar:

[​IMG]

'69 Kustom 100:

[​IMG]

1966 Super Reverb, "dual cabbed" by a previous owner:

[​IMG]

1980s Marshall solid state combos (5002, 5210, 5275):

[​IMG]

Oh, and this Ampeg SVT 8x10 fridge cab, I'm guessing '70s (predates the tilt-back handles and back wheels):

[​IMG]

14. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    love that Marshall stack!

You should totally post the pic of all the marshalls , like 6-7 of them i think, in the same garage door background!
    thats a great pic :cool:

15. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Gretschie

Dec 29, 2020
    GNV FLA USA
    Haha, thanks! The most I ever had at one time, very briefly, was five. The three solid states previously pictured, plus a solid state Mosfet 100 Reverb Twin 2x12 (on the bottom in this pic), which mosfet I sold to defray part of the cost of a DSL 40C (second from bottom). I only had all five for a couple weeks or so. The 2x12 was more amp than I needed, frankly! (I currently have two 2x12s, a 50W Ampeg Reverberocket, and a 30W AC30cc2, neither vintage.)

[​IMG]

pmac11, Waxhead, nickurso and 2 others like this.
  16. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Dano Twin Twelve '59?
    [​IMG]

17. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    That
    super reverb would sound massive!

18. kenact

kenact Electromatic

May 9, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm a synth guitarist, so what I've been using is a Princeton Stereo Chorus. The guitar goes into the normal into, the stereo send goes to a mixer, along with the stereo out from my GR-55 and GR-33, and the stereo out from the mixer goes back to the stereo return in the Princeton.

19. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Gretschie

Dec 29, 2020
    GNV FLA USA
    Judges, can I get a ruling? ;) Are '90s amps considered "vintage," for purposes of this thread?

Because if the answer is in the affirmative, I have at least a couple additional amps to post, haha!

However, now that I think about it, I did leave out a late '70s/early '80s guitar cab that I've had for quite awhile, a Risson. I tried to get a replacement badge for it from Bob Rissi (the head of Risson, who worked for Fender and Rickenbacker, prior to founding his own company), but never heard back from him. So I rebadged it with my own "brand," Krashall.

But yeah, it's a Risson. https://rissonamplifiers.com/

[​IMG]

Jimmy Mongo, new6659, pmac11 and 4 others like this.
  20. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    For me the term "vintage" is pretty misapplied to music gear/cars/anything but wine, but the usual timespan I've had the impression was common in retail for something to qualify as "vintage" is 25 years (so currently that would put the cutoff at 1996). If that's the one we're using for this thread I could include both of my Marshall cabs too I believe, a 1960A from the 90s & a 1966A from the 80s.

Love the custom badge! I think if I needed to replace one of mine I'd have to go for the "Cool Brand" text in Marshall script a la Scott Pilgrim :)

Edit: Had to comment on your 24 fret, maple capped Special too as it's the only other one I seen "in the wild" aside from the one I received in trade for some stuff a few years back. It's even got the same clownburst finish, good stuff ;)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.