Vintage amps

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by JaredmacNeil90, Sep 25, 2021.

1. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    Some of the twentieth century amps I enjoy… 5128728E-764E-417E-8870-F8104C67DD3F.jpeg 1BEC9330-C6EF-49A2-BE06-BE809081A1AD.jpeg 8C6D6F84-37BA-424F-BEAF-4F2B20A69582.jpeg 53EF0C49-9527-469E-BB43-D34D6CD97EF3.jpeg 91AD25D0-FDB9-4E92-BDCD-4826DE918C9F.jpeg

2. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    69 Daul Showman Reverb in a twin cab with 2 Eminence Double T 12” speakers. Love it for pedal steel and guitar. FACBE8FC-3350-462E-8251-47DD8EF0C4E7.png

pmac11, nickurso, hcsterg and 6 others like this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I agree it's a good amp, has done everything I ever needed it too, which isn't much really lol, when I bought it I picked it over a plexi that the guys was selling and only because it had a master volume, I had a silver faced 100w bassman before that and being around 20 years old at the time I didn't really take much time to give that amp a chance so sold it because it didn't break up well, lol silly me.
    Am really wanting to give a vintage vox a try one day, but don't see that happening any time soon, would love a old AC30 like the one you have.

4. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Yeah too many sad stories of selling when shouldn’t have, and yeah I’ve always wanted an old Vox AC30 top boost, knew I’d probably be dead before I scored so I bit the bullet and bought an AC15HW1X. Every bit as good and a lot cheaper. There’s a 30 watt model too.

Stefan87 likes this.
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've heard nothing but good things about the hand wired AC15's, would've had one not long ago if I had the money but at the time had a guitar up forsale that would've covered it and the guy didn't want to trade, when I'm in the market for another amp one of those are on the short list to try.

NowEarThis likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've gone thru far more amps than I have guitars or keyboards.
    The oldest amps I have left are '49 and a '50 David Bogen PA amp heads. Various speakers for them. I've a fair stock of Altec and Jensen speakers.
    I have an Ampex monitor amp that matches their Ampex 600 tape recorder. It's a suitcase kind of rig. 10 watts thru an 8" Altec speaker.
    Repro Fender Champ 600.
    Newish Vox AC15.

pmac11 and Tony65x55 like this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Holy moly! A Gretsch Rogue! I had one of those in 1972 or 73 - my Dad bought it for me along with an Ovation Eclipse electric guitar. I couldn't wait to trade them for my first Strat and Marshall amp. But in hindsight, it was good gear and I should have kept it. A pure fluke brought the Eclipse back to me 45 years later but I haven't seen a Gretsch Rogue since I said, "ciao baby!" to my old one. Very cool, Salvatore!

8. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    And if you're ever going past via Nimbin, you're always welcome to stop by and have a try.

Stefan87 likes this.
  9. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Matter of fact, I've got one too :cool:
    Can't remember but I think it's the 100w head.

Stefan87 likes this.
  10. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    It’s weird I was anxious all week when I knew buddy was supposed to get it but I haven’t been anxious for two days now after I told him to take a hike . I really think that would have been a huge mistake

11. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    This is my only amp at the moment:
    1970 full SS, 15” Altec original speaker.
    The cleanest amp I’ve ever had.
    F1F89795-B591-48B2-AC07-1C5A85513869.jpeg

Jimmy Mongo, pmac11, nickurso and 6 others like this.
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I agree. At this point it has become a modern classic amp.

13. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    6g6a in Black , 6g6b in Blonde , 74 Silver FAD7A2C9-7EF5-49DD-8889-00B7B2DA831D.jpeg A153DE5F-88E2-4125-9A47-8191F8335E14.jpeg

14. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Here are mine at present:
    [​IMG]
    '74 Vibrolux Reverb
    [​IMG]
    '60s Ampeg Jet J-12D
    [​IMG]
    '84 Marshall JCM800 4210 Anniversary Combo
    [​IMG]
    '97 Marshall 1987x (misses the 25 year cutoff but had a "vintage" tag on it when I bought it a couple years ago so I'm counting it ;) )
    [​IMG]
    '74(?) Fender Twin Reverb, it's the one I've had the longest. Initial acquisition was a trade for a case of Milwaukee's Best but needed a few hundred to get back on its feet :)

Currently up on the block but still mine:
    [​IMG]
    mid-late '60s Guild Thunderstar
    [​IMG]
    '67 Ampeg Gemini VI GS-15R
    [​IMG]
    '68 Fender Bandmaster

Jimmy Mongo, pmac11, nickurso and 7 others like this.
  15. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I'm not entirely sure why Fender included two channels. But there was some use back in the early days of plugging a microphone in or even two players playing through the same amp. I think they just continued making the two channels because of that potential dual use, in reality, it didn't happen that much.
    BTW, the Normal channel on those amps is a great sounding channel without all the stuff for Reverb and Tremelo messing up the circuit.

16. afire

afire Country Gent

My '64 AC30. It's been my main (often only) amp for probably about 15 years now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jimmy Mongo, pmac11, nickurso and 9 others like this.
  17. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Apparently i still own this,as it hasn't sold yet ,as far as i know that is..It' s on consignment.

1977 Music Man 210HD 130,best amp i ever owned,but a bloody heavy bugger.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  18. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    Funny you say that I just wrote this on a different forum “I’m sitting here thinking I thought I was buying the fender to replace the Mesa . Now after having the fender I realized what it was about the Mesa I loved and how much I would have kicked my but if I would have gotten rid of it . I remember the day I first saw it in buddy’s basement covered in dust and just knowing I needed it and how hard I worked to get it only to almost throw it away. Now I need one more amp then I’ll have my three dream amps. My Mesa , the fender and sometime I’ll get an ac30 or ac15 when the time is right. I have two out of three dream guitars a telecaster and a guild starfire and some day I might get a real lesPaul but first thing first , I need to get my own pedal board but one pedal at a time . I have recently discovered there’s a lot more than this does this to making a functional board so I guess I can throw my list of pedals out the window and do more research on what style pedals will better fit my amps . For example a dirty Shirley ( mid gain) overdrive would be good for the fender being a low gain amp but not for the Mesa that want to break up its self now that I can play it a decent volume. Yeah the over driven sounds in the lead channel is amazing so either a low gain or boost will get that od sound I’m looking for .”

NowEarThis likes this.
  19. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well thanks for the offer NET, will try to remember that if I ever travel down that way....well once they open the borders again.
    Off stands to you to if your ever in Brisbane and want to try anything of mine out.

That is in amazing condition, would love to hear it.

NowEarThis likes this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I like that other people own vintage amps.
    I like it when other people post pics of em too.
    And it's great that other people love em.

Years ago I had a vintage Fender Twin Reverb and then a Marshall JCM800.
    Sold em both and will never get another vintage amp myself.

I'm hoping to live long enough so that a lot of stuff I presently own will be considered vintage.
    Keep those great vintage pics coming :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.