Vintage amps

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by JaredmacNeil90, Sep 25, 2021.

1. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    So I’ll start.

well mines a 1979 Mesa mk2a that makes the telecaster sound so warm and lovely and a 74 twin reverb that just sparkles with my tv Jones loaded guild starfire . EB77EA00-491E-4A77-8B3C-8194224DE918.jpeg
    I can’t believe I was going to sell the old Mesa . This was the third time buddy failed to show up so I told him “ I’m tired of waiting all it does is makes me anxious and I can’t deal with that. I also only had it for sale in order to buy the fender and I got that so I don’t need to sell it”

Les Pedals, Henry, pmac11 and 12 others like this.
  2. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Vibroverb.JPG
    This is my vintage amp, seen a lot of work but still going strong. Doesn't matter what you plug in, they all sound awesome!

3. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Love these amps, Fenders with vibrato, reverb and tremolo have gorgeous sound, from what I have heard on net and limited exposure I had!
    @JaredmacNeil90 2 beauties ...
    I have a question tho on these vintage amps, why did Fender include those normal channels?
    Isn't plugging in to the effects channel with rolling down the knobs for respective effects give you normal channel?

Pardon my ignorance, but these amps are hardly available here, and all Fender amps are priced crazy, we can get 2 Marshall or even 3 Blackstar or 2 Egnators/Vox for the price (small amps, within 15 Watters), just to give you an idea.

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  4. Norwegian6119

Norwegian6119 Electromatic

Aug 23, 2021
    Norway
    My current rig is a 74 Fender Twin and a 70 Ampeg V2 (Linden made). The cab under the V2 is a Marshall JTM C212 from the 90's but anything made after your birth year can't possibly be vintage right?

20210603_192102.jpg

Jimmy Mongo, pmac11, nickurso and 8 others like this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes @JaredmacNeil90 : keep you Boogie MKIIA 15" combo ! It's an iconic amp... :cool:

upload_2021-9-26_11-37-0.png

I wouldn't part with mine, a Boogie MKIIA 60-100 Rev Eq 12" combo from 1980 (S/N°4915) :

[​IMG]

A+!

6. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Love that Jag, had one back in the 60's, Fiesta red, sigh.... it was stolen.
    EDIT: Oops :oops:, Sorry, yours is a Jazzmaster, not a Jaguar.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  7. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    The reason goes back to the early years, so two players could plug in.
    These days, pedals work well in the normal channel.

8. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    Tbh I’m not sure lol but I’d admit I like the normal channel better. It reminds me of the lead channel on my Mesa vs the rhythm . It’s a little thicker but you loose the reverb and tremolo.

bhatta likes this.
  9. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I’ve been anxious all week and couldn’t figure out why . After I told buddy not to come I felt a lot of that anxiety leave and I don’t feel tense or on Edge today . I think selling the Mesa may have been a big part of the issue and what’s weirder is just getting up my blood pressure is a little lower than it was all day yesterday even with my meds

bhatta likes this.
  10. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Dunno about that…
    Some of us here are real antiques ourselves! :eek:

Runamok and Brian Krashpad like this.
  11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Here's one of my favorites. IMG_0061.JPG

Jimmy Mongo, pmac11, nickurso and 7 others like this.
  12. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    that v2 is sweet.

13. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    mine’s a gii - love me some 15”s

JaredmacNeil90 and Gretschtim1 like this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I had a V2 that I liked a lot and gigged in the early 80s with. I got rid of it along with a 63 Bandmaster head and a 61 Tremolux head so I could buy a 1986 Mesa Boogie MKIII. One of the worst if not thee worst deal I ever made. I'd like to have all three of them back. The Boogie was gone in a few years. The clean sound sucked on that amp. The drive channel was nice but the channel switching was useless for me the way it shared the same EQ and master out section. I could never get a good balance between clean/crunch and crunch/overdrive.
    I actually liked the MKII amp much better but it wasn't available new in 86.
    The new Mesa channel switching amps do a much better job than the MKIII did.
    I should have kept my 63 Bandmaster - used that for clean/crunch and the boogie for overdrive but I believed the hype that the Boogie would do it all...NOT!

JaredmacNeil90 and NowEarThis like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You could use one of the channels for a mike as well. PAs used to be a rarity in the early days. Harmonica players would often plug into someone's guitar amp.

NowEarThis and bhatta like this.
  16. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I actually like the clean tone on the boogie big and fat . It’s perfect for my telecaster after finally being able to play the old girl like you should you can get a light breakup at gain stage 6 and the fender is great with the guild. I’m still not sure v30s are the speakers for the twin but who knows

gtttrrr likes this.
  17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Well the MKII you own is quite different that the MKIII. I loved the MKIIs from the 70s and that's what I really wanted. I was told by sales men that if I worked with the controls I could get the MKII sound out of the MKIII and a whole lot more. Trust me the MKIII could not sound like a MKII - not even close. Compared to the MKII the MKIII sounded choked off to me. The crunch and overdrive was pretty good but the clean sounds on the MKIII was too dark for me - nothing like a Fender clean sound or the clean sound on a MKII. Keep that MKII - it's a great amp!

hcsterg and JaredmacNeil90 like this.
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well not sure if it classifies as vintage, probably not but it's the oldest thing I own.
    1988 JCM800 2205 50W head.
    MAMP.jpeg

pmac11, nickurso, hcsterg and 5 others like this.
  19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I think it's vintage. I had one and it was a really good amp. I actually liked the 50 watt version better than the 100 watt version. At one point I had both and let the 100 watt go.

Stefan87 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.