Very annoying string buzz

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by andreww1962, May 27, 2019.

1. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    So I've been chasing an annoying string buzz on my new 2420 P90. I am very aware of the theory of what causes buzz and how to set up a guitar to avoid it. I've set the neck with minimal relief and all strings are good with the exception of the D string which seems to buzz all the way down the fretboard. I've tried adding relief and I've raised the bridge way up but the D string still buzzes. I'm hoping its just a bum string unless anybody else has an idea? BTW, I've tightened up every screw and I've replaced the bridge with a Wilkinson roller with no change to the buzz problem. I've also checked the frets with a rocker and found nothing excessively out of order, which is what I expected given none of the other strings are an issue.

2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Any kink or crease in the D string?

3. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    Change the whole set.

Or you can ask another guitarist to play it for you.

I found out my White Falcon is a buzz galore when another guitarist played on it.

I have light touch.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nothing more annoying than to look for buzz and noise in a guitar, since it often involves sympathetic frequencies resonating some-where in the guitar.
    However in this case I'm suspecting the roller bridge. Maybe try to take the tension of the strings and flip the bridge around and see if the problem persists.

5. Dave-B

Dave-B Country Gent

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Had the same issue on a 2420. In my case, the pickup toggle switch was rattling in the middle position.

6. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Curious to find out what you discover or how you remedy it? I had an Ibanez GIO, one of their cheapest models, that did the same thing on the "G" string only, never would stay in tune no matter what brand of string it was replaced with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.