Value of 1959 Gretsch 6124 Anniversry???

Madnessbd

Gretschie
Jan 12, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Hey Gretsch Family,

I have come across a 1959 Gretsch 6124 and I am trying to determine what a fair value for this guitar would be. All parts are said to be original, but the pick guard is missing. The body shows some aging with small chips and a bit of cracking in the wood. I will try to attach some photos that were sent to me. I've always wanted to own a vintage model and this might be the one. Thanks in advance!

S. Rock

Friend of Fred
you're definitely looking at a nice guitar. I've owned the same model since 1966. although, the one that you're looking at sounds to have some issues. check to be sure that the neck doesn't need to be reset. look real close at the binding and make sure that you don't have any "binding rot". the cracks in the wood sound like the wood might be drying out due to lack of moisture. look the guitar over real good. I'm sure others will have more suggestions of things to look for.

Madnessbd

Gretschie
Jan 12, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Unfortunately I can't see the guitar in person. I came across it online and need to know the right questions to ask. I have tried to upload some of the photos that have been emailed to me and it does appear that the wood may be dried out....

Madnessbd

Gretschie
Jan 12, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Here are the photos without having to click on the link!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 214
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 201

S. Rock

Friend of Fred
a pickguard will cover most of those "chips" that you mentioned. you can get one made by Paul Setzer that will look just like the original. the headstock looks like mine. the binding seems to be in pretty good shape. and the knob is not the original knob, it can be replaced with an era correct one.

I'm sure that Wayne Gretschsky will have a few more ideas.

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
S. Rock has capably covered the pertinent facts! I kinda like guard-less Gretsch hollowbody guitars, but that's just personal taste. This guitar gives you the filtertron, and trestle bracing everyone wants in their late 50s Gretsch axe... if the neck is good, and the price is reasonable, it would make for a nice player!

S. Rock

Friend of Fred
What would be considered a reasonable price for this condition? I am trying to negotiate with the owner.

has the seller suggested any price ? you might start with $750 just to get started.
here's one that's on ebay right now for $1599.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-195...F-/251221058116?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a7df12244

I don't think that I would go more than $1100-$1200, but try to keep him under $1000. it all depends on how bad you want this guitar. hope that this helps. please let us know how it turns out.

Madnessbd

Gretschie
Jan 12, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for price range...I know condition and playability is everything. I am at a good starting point with him. He offered me a shipped price of $850 and I have countered him. After looking at the picture again, do you think the cracking is just the finish being aged or do you see any issues with the wood itself?

jflintmac

Country Gent
Jun 20, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
A dealer has offered you this guitar for 850 dollars? It's pretty hard to believe that it would be priced so low - and not have issues.

Pictures tend to lie, in that it always looks better than it really is. With that in mind, I doubt that the dried wood is going to be a big problem. I would be looking closer at the Neck joint, the fret wear and the binding rot as these issues are the expensive ones to fix.
That seems awfully affordable!

Madnessbd

Gretschie
Jan 12, 2012
Raleigh, NC
That's my concern!!! Usually, if it's too good to be true...well you know. As much as I want it to work...it's gonna be hard to get a comfort level to pull the trigger. Is there anybody in Albuquerque...haha?

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
Geez,,, the pickup alone is worth $450! Then the bridge, tailpiece and tuners, are another $300. Then you can flip the husk as a project for someone for $500 (having the trestle bracing, this one would be a great donor for a conversion). Or, maybe it's just a great playing guitar as is. Hard to lose at that price.

Madnessbd

Gretschie
Jan 12, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The dealer verified that the neck is straight, but several frets above the 12th fret are a bit unseated and the notes are dead on both E strings in some places. The guitar tech is trying to correct this issue and setup the guitar. I am on top of the list for a phone call once they are done. If they hold the price after these changes, I may pull the trigger and take a calculated risk. As you've pointed out, if the playability is not there, it could still make a great project guitar! I'll keep you posted and rely on your expertise.

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
The neck being "straight" is less of a worry than the condition of the neck-heel. Vintage Gretsch archtops are notorious for requiring neck resets after 50 or so years of being under string tension. But if the action is low, and there's no obvious separation at the heel, then perhaps you're Ok.

Madnessbd

Gretschie
Jan 12, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Update - The dealer said that there are several dead frets and that the guitar will need a refretting or a leveling at a minimum. Has anyone recently had a vintage guitar regretted and what was the cost?

freddyfingers

Gretschified
Platinum Member
I am almost in the same boat. Just got a 62 Gibson. I am having the frets
Done this weekend or next. Mine has a lot more body
Dents am checking. I have a quote on doing half the neck but will have the whole neck filed and crowned. There's a lot to be concerned with a 50 year old guitar. Hose in the know can find the issues. You and me need to rely on those people. For what it's worth, I saw one of these
On my local Craigslist a few months back. 850 was his price as well.

S. Rock

Friend of Fred
Update - The dealer said that there are several dead frets and that the guitar will need a refretting or a leveling at a minimum. Has anyone recently had a vintage guitar regretted and what was the cost?

a few years ago, I checked into having mine refreted. some guys charge per fret. with the refreting and leveling, it could cost you $300-$500. but first, see if the neck needs resetting. call around to your some of local guitar shops and ask what their prices are. also, ask some of your guitar playing friends for a good luthier to do the work. if you were in Minneapolis, I know exactly who to recommend.

Latest posts