"V" hard tail

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pmarinovich, Sep 16, 2020.

1. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I apologize if this topic has been around before.

A couple of years ago I was shopping for a new Gretsch and checked out all the models, then I went in a different direction. Recently I started shopping for a Gretsch again and noticed all the new stop tail models seem to come only in the "V" style. Visually, it doesn't really work for me. There's something "off" about the aesthetic, at least to my eye.

When did this happen? How do you feel about it? My current Gretsch has a "G" tailpiece and I've got one arriving with a Bigsby. I've had some bigsbies in the past. Not sure if I can warm up to the "V" thing.

Anacharsis and sgarnett like this.
  2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I think the V stoptail is a nice look—much classier than the typical Gibson stoptail. But for me, the nicest thing about the V stoptail is that you can easily add a Bigsby and replace the stoptail with a Towner bar. That's what I did when I bought a 2655, and I was very happy with it.

pmarinovich likes this.
  3. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I'm extremely sensitive about aesthetics. Gretsch gets the body shape right almost every time, but then they often mess it up with superficial tacky stuff...Branded "G", etc. I think the shape of a double cut jet is awesome. The "V" kind of competes with the beauty of the shape as a "tacked on thing." I know most of this stuff is subjective. I just wish I had the option of buying a non "V" hard tail. I once had a double cutaway synchromatic made in Korea with a wrap-around hard tail. I looked amazing to me.

Anacharsis and section2 like this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I dig the V. It(yet again)sets Gretsch apart.

section2 and Henry like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The business end of a Caddy tailpiece is a V, so, there's a precedent. I like the G cutout tail or a Bigsby but especially like the old harp type tailpiece. YMMV. If it's that big of an issue, see if a standard bar tailpiece would fit.. I'd bet it'd be an even swap.

section2 likes this.
  6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I got used to the "V" (on a G6228FM and a G5220) and would miss them now if they weren't there. A regular Gibson-style stop bar looks so generic now.

goostah, section2 and Henry like this.
  7. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Started doing it a couple years ago when they started producing “player editions”

8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would much rather the cadilac g tail piece or the g cut out over the 'V' tail piece but it does suit the models it's on I think, I feel it makes them a bit mroe modern looking which works well with the 6228s and 5220s I think.

new6659 likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I dig it. The V is part of Gretsch aesthetics in tailpiece, such as the Cadillac and the V-cut bigsbies. Good news is that if one doesn't like it, super easy and inexpensive to swap out.

I always thought that the big bare bottom on 335s and Les Pauls a bit barren. One reason I picked up a Gretsch with a Bigsby.

new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I agree with many others and love the V tailpiece. Looks classy on my G2622 WS. Unique.

But JFTHOI I measured the stud spacing on my G2622 V and Epiphone and Gibson Les Paul StopBar tailpieces.
    Gretsch "V" = 3.222"
    Epi LP (import) = 3.234"
    Gibson LP (US) = 3.230"
    Those are all amazingly close numbers and it looks like you might be able to get a straight tailpiece and fit it. I don't know the stud sizes but you can find that info easily.

I upgraded my Epi LP with a black plated model from Guitar Fetish and it is fantastic for low cost. They sell US and import sizes, you might find one that fits.
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-Style-Bridges_c_36.html

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  11. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I like it.
    Darn sight easier to string than that blasted Bigsby. ;)

12. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I replaced mine with a solid aluminum Tonepros one so regular tailpieces definitely fit.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  13. adauria

adauria Gretschie

Dec 22, 2016
    Wake Forest, NC
    Another lover of the V.

-Andrew

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't like stoptails at all, but if I had to have a Gretsch with one, I'd get the Vee.

15. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I'm ok with the V, but I wish they'd dump the "players edition" name.

First off, it's a direct cop from the corporate overlords at Fender and who needs that! What's next? "Gretsch by Fender" logos?

Secondly, what the heck is it actually supposed to mean? Like other models aren't supposed to be played?!

GRRRRR .... Dumb name. My opinion, for whatever that's worth.

16. afire

afire Country Gent

As soon as I made that connection, it clicked with me. I didn't dislike it aesthetically to begin with. But making at least some tenuous connection to Gretsch's heritage slightly softened the blow of seeing a stop tail and tune-o-matic on a Gretsch.

Exactly. If one doesn't like the look, it's about the easiest reversible mod you could do.

17. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Be an original. Remove the V-stop tailpiece and installed a Floyd Rose surface mount! All Hail the FRX!!

[​IMG]

18. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    I didn't mind the aesthetics at first but when I played one for the first time I could feel a difference in the string tension. I don't know if it was psychological or physics but I know I felt it. Because it felt uneven to play now I don't like the way they look either! I'm happy to know a regular stop tail can be swapped in with no modification in case I ever buy a Gretsch with a V.

19. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Didn't like them when they first came out ,but it grew on me.

I do love the big ol' V Caddy G tail though.:cool:

Andrew Griffin and Stefan87 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.