Upset with Quick Guards

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Stephan, Mar 18, 2016.

1. CKC411

CKC411 Gretschie

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    Have you seen his stuff in person?

2. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I’ve had nothing but good experiences with him and his pickguards are top notch.

upload_2021-10-21_22-10-18.jpeg

Sorry you’re having issues with your order. Sounds like he’s swamped.

Henry likes this.
  3. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Five years ago, he was swamped. From a few other threads, it seems like he may be back on top of his workflow....

I like the guard he did for your guitar!

4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    He responds much faster to texts than Emails.

5. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    I was getting ready to post a new thread but came across this one.

I placed an order with Quick Guards for a pickguard for my 5220 on October 21. Mike did have it posted that PG orders were taking two months. I like his work and thought, yeah, let's go for it! On January 5th, I hadn't heard anything from Mike on my PG, and it was over two months from the date of my order. I decided to drop him a quick (very friendly) email to inquire about a tentative date of when it might be shipped. Please note, my January 5th email was the first time I contacted him since placing the order on 10/21. He still has not replied to my email! Even for a small business, when you have a paying customer contact you, it's common courtesy to at least respond back and act like you're remotely interested in what they ask!

Two and half months for a pickguard is ridiculous! Sounds like he's been having this issue since 2016. Why he can't remedy this is beyond me. It also annoys me that my card was charged $77.00 back on the 10/26! I'm going to give it another week, then I'm going to cancel my order. I really don't think Mike cares either way.

Very disappointing experience!

Ricochet likes this.
  6. AndreasG

AndreasG Electromatic

Dec 20, 2021
    Italy
    Not good to hear as I wantet to place an order for one for my Black Phoenix…now I‘m a bit reluctant as with shipping and fees it will cost me about 150 bucks.

MarkLo likes this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Amazing someone gets away with this kind of business ethic for 5 years.

$77 for a plastic pickguard. Clearly I made the wrong career choice after college.:rolleyes:

8. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah

You know, I think the thing that ticks me off the most is, that he completely ignored my email to him. Even if he returned my email and said something like: "Hey Mark, sorry for the delay, I appreciate your patience! We're looking at another three weeks for completion of your PG. I'll keep you updated" or something similar, I'd be fine. At least it would appear he cared a little! Mike happily charged my card on 10/26, and never one time provided any type of follow-up to keep me updated!

As of 3:22 pm MST, Mike still hasn't returned my email from January 5. I think I'm going to text him a little later and cancel my order! I'd be embarrassed to ever recommend Mike, or Quick Guards to anybody! Totally disappointed!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Ricochet likes this.
  9. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I don't want to hate but it was the same situation for me 4 years ago, I did like the truss rod cover though even if it wasn't actually perfect.

10. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    As an alternative you might find a local trophy shop that can do engraving. I had a couple of truss rod covers and a poker chip switch plate made for me at a local trophy shop that used to do our Cub Scout pine car trophies when my kid was in scouts. They did a fine job, and could probably get similar plastic stock that is used for pick guards or custom cut and engrave from a blank. Just a suggestion.

capnhiho likes this.
  11. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Gretschie

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    I've bought a pickguard and a truss rod cover from him, and the first thing I have to say is that the work he does is superb. As for the "swamped with orders" thing I got that from him too and following this thread back it seems he's been complaining about that for 5 years. Mike is not exactly a warm and fuzzy type of guy but if you're a bit patient you will be rewarded with a quality handcrafted product.

sgarnett and Henry like this.
  12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I found he responds best to a text rather than emails. It does take months to get your pickguard but they generally are good quality.

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.