Upgrades or new Gretsch???

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Paulie26, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Paulie26

Paulie26 Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    I got a G5655TG about a year ago and have to say, I love it.

I am at the point, where I want to get a few upgrades- but it just occurred to me the specific upgrades I am looking at would easily cover the price of a new G5222.

The upgrades for my G5655TG are:
    Schaller M6 machine heads
    ABM 2400 roller bridge
    TV Jones classics
    Jackplate

The parts will take a little time to get together

New guitar or upgrades???

2. Intoamartian

Intoamartian Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Midwest
    I think the biggest question is if you want the upgraded semi-hollow or a jet more.

If you love the semi hollow I say upgrade away! If you’re itching for a jet though maybe it’s time to do that.

I am selling a 5230t and I was very surprised at how it played, I just got a deal on a proline so off it goes. I’m sure the double cut is great too.

Outlaw, Craig Encinitas and Paulie26 like this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well i guess the thing is the new G5222 won't have any of the things that you want to upgrade your G5655, so even though you will have a new guitar your G5655 is still going to be the same.

So i guess the real question is do you love your G5655 as it is or are you trying to get something else out of it, because even if you buy the new guitar there is still the chance you will want to do the upgrades anyway.

If you go the new guitar then you eill have a solid body and a centreblock which is cool but as far as i am aware I'm pretty sure they have the same pickups so sonically they will be very close, so i guess again of you are chasing something different tone wise then a new G5222 may not get you that far from your G5655.

Sorry that nothing above is really helpful but either way is a good option.

4. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Do what your heart is telling you. Do you want to upgrade? Or do you just want another Gretsch like the rest of us?
    Best of luck!

Runamok, Jeremiah_S, ZackyDog and 2 others like this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I love to upgrade and customize but have learned to set limits.
    With Fender and Gibson, for example, I think you are often better off buying a higher model and selling what you own. They make a lot of versions of the same guitars and they hold their value.

But Gretsch doesn't make higher versions of all their guitars so when you get one that sings to you it may be worth upgrading.
    But I will limit what I spend and make sure that I can return the guitar to stock for resale.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah but then you'd have a 5222 you'd want to upgrade some time in future :)

Having mod'ed my 5422 it brought it up to near proline quality and I no longer wanted a 6120 :)

7. birddog

birddog Electromatic

Apr 12, 2016
    NC
    If you love your G5655TG, do the upgrades. Then you will have one you REALLY REALLY Love. Sometimes it is hard to find the 'one'. If you have, give it what you want and make it what you want it to be. Just my unbiased opinion.

Paulie26, new6659 and Archtops like this.
  8. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Why not do both and compare the results? :D

Jeff67, Runamok and Paulie26 like this.
  9. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    If the guitar you have feels good in the hands, if it inspires you.. do the upgrades.

You can spend of a tonne of money and possibly not get the feel you have now.

Paulie26 likes this.
  10. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    If you are going through all that, I would go with a new wiring, CTS pots, caps, switch, and jack. Do it now because you will be coming back to that when you are installing those new Classics. Birddog is right, turn the one you love into the one you want.

Paulie26, Outlaw and Craig Encinitas like this.
  11. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I really loved my 5120, put Power’Tron’s , new pots and wiring, and now I REally love it, as Bird dog says above, do it for sure if you dig the guitar., Oh and Compron bridge…

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Paulie26 likes this.
  12. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    If you buy the G5222 you will have 2 guitars that you will want to upgrade!

So for double the fun buy the guitar!

Runamok and Paulie26 like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    YES !!

Paulie26 and gtttrrr like this.
  14. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    New guitar.
    Easy.
    Or rather new used guitar if you are into that kind of thing. setzer Hot Rod have tvjs and locking tuners and the jackplate is only $8 from Sweetwater and you get $1 in free candy with every purchase.
    Thats what id do. And if you sell the 5655 and consider the cost of the upgrades you will be right around the cost of a used hot Rod.
    And the hot rod will recoup its value if looked after while the modded 5655 wont, if thats a consideration.

section2 and Paulie26 like this.
  15. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Maybe in the USA but not UK or Ireland.

Paulie26 likes this.
  16. Maybe worth asking:
    What is it you love about the 5655?
    Do you pine for a 5222, or is this just a cost comparison after totaling the price tag? In Gretsch Currency.

The Gretsch Gods meant for you to do all of the above.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Paulie26 likes this.
  17. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    If you want to upgrade, you can save some money by skipping the ABM roller bridge. A Gretsch with a good setup doesn't need a roller bridge to stay in tune. If your Bigsby is causing tuning headaches, make sure your nut is well dressed—that usually solves the problem. If it's still causing trouble, I'd consider a BiggsFix before switching to a roller bridge.

Paulie26 and capnhiho like this.
  18. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    My two cents.

Buy the G5222 so you have something to play while you modify your G5655 with new wiring harness, switches, pots. pickups, tuners, jack plate and add a Comptons bridge rather than ABM2400. Then you have what you want.

But that's just my opinion, good luck on your choice.

Runamok and Paulie26 like this.
  19. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    I would upgrade that G5655TG all day before I'd invest in a G5222. Once you get TV Jones Classics in there, it's going to be amazing, and the 5655's are amazing anyway.

Paulie26 likes this.
  20. Face it. You’re going to need to buy TWO guitars.
    So that you can keep what you like AND experiment with both upgrade options, comparing the outcome.

That way you aren’t playing favorites on the advice.

Marv666 and Paulie26 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.