(Update) Anyone else verifying your strings aren’t counterfeit?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Blewzman

Blewzman Electromatic

Dec 7, 2017
    Bella Visa
    I always verify mine and collect the points. I use them for free strings.

skidbrake likes this.
  2. rs-guitar

rs-guitar Electromatic

Feb 19, 2021
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I order direct and found the best strings! I was reading an article a few years ago on equipment used by a guitarist (don’t recall who?), but he used Curt Mangan Strings. I researched them and then placed an order. They are perfect (excellent quality, tone, durable, available in custom gauges). Curt has excellent customer service, too. I have not tried his flatwounds (presently use Thomastik), but all my other strings are Curt Mangan. It took almost 50 years, but I finally found the perfect strings for me.

Groutsch and MrWookiee like this.
  3. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I mostly buy strings in bulk and don't really have the time or the interest to "verify" strings online.
    Someone has WAY more time on their hands than I do.

Rmccamey likes this.
  4. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I would never scan a code from a known-counterfeit product of any kind. Just sayin'.

Groutsch and juks like this.
  5. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I agree, only with a burner.

6. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    amazon is a cesspool anymore, won't go near them for anything. Local shops or the established large distributors for me.

7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar

I think you are being to picky.....:D

8. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    If they sell that much all around the world, then just brand them. I doubt the risk of getting caught if you are already manufacturing at that level makes sense. But then again, what do I know? I buy from MF and my local store. If the worst that happens is I get some strings once in awhile that are counterfeit, then big deal. Life has far greater challenges.

9. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I can vouch for the integrity and authenticity of the candy Sweetwater provides. I sample it regularly (for quality purposes, of course, not because I’m addicted to buying gear or anythying), and most of it is made by my former employer, so I know those products well.

Archtops and Dave Murray like this.
  10. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    I just verified my wife . . . . . . .

Archtops likes this.
  11. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    I have bought strings from "Just Strings" . . . they screwed up one order, but the customer service was good. How do we know where "Just Strings" buys their strings? We don't. I am probably more aware of counterfeits than the average guitar-playing bear, having defended several counterfeiters in both state and federal court proceedings. from graded nuts and bolts to air filters ('Fram' you say, yeah, sure) to luxury purses. But of course not the Chibsons . . . they are all real, yeah . . . . and Les Paul is rolling over in his grave right now.

Archtops likes this.
  12. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    Leap of faith for the last string purchase was Musician's Gear strings from Musician's Friend, so how authentically genuine are they for their brand ?

Other string brands bought in the past, PRS strings Classics & Signature products. I bought Gibsons, Elixirs & D'Addario's as well from local music store. They're legit, they've been around for 30+ years.

I really need to try Ernie Ball strings some day. But the PRS, Gibsons & D'Addario's and I can't imagine Ernie Ball as being any better or worse. I still have to use the Musician's Gear strings out, if they prove to be satisfactory, I could see myself stringing my instruments with them across the board. Too bad MG only come in 9's & 10's for electric guitar strings, I use 9.5's as my Strat strings. The LP gets 10's and my Telecaster gets 9's. I've tried hybrid 9's (Treble side)'10's (Bass side) on a Strat, I think I'm moving to 9.5's for all my Strats to give the magnets a larger profile of steel to attract for signal capture. The 9 always seems to be the only string that breaks and the 9.5 seems to last longer with my style of string attack. Maybe the string break is a blessing, otherwise I wouldn't change strings unless they break or are just too obviously filthy to look at.

13. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    I buy counterfeit strings with cryptocurrency since I ran out of Monopoly money

Archtops, new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
  14. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    If there's one retailer I would never trust it's Sweetwater. They do have the masses snowed with their free bag of candy and Emperor Has No Clothes internet fanbois!

15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    too much work to counterfeit Thomastik Jazz Flats and Pyramid Gold round core flats, as well as my Daddario Bluegrass Brass acoustic strings.. these guys always deliver...so far. :)

MrWookiee likes this.
  16. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    So has anybody ever bought a set of bogus strings ? I buy from Amazon or Juststrings and they are always the real deal, well as far as I know. I hope they don't start counter fitting Fire Fly's, Harley Bentons and Glarry's.

Archtops likes this.
  17. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    If you buy from Amazon proper and not from marketplace sellers, it's more secure.

doc538 and Archtops like this.
  18. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Holy Moly! Now I have to spend my Birthday verifying the strings I ordered from Amazon. I’m 71 today and so is my twin brother. I know! I just called him to verify if he was 71 today.

MrWookiee and radd like this.
  19. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Ok, my D’Addario strings are the real deal. These were purchased from Amazon.com.

20. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Where's the profit in making fake strings?

Anything's better than Black Diamonds.

Rmccamey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.