(Update) A Door Dash porch pirate hit us tonight

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Jun 11, 2021.

1. DasherF

DasherF Gretschie

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    I live in a neighborhood where stuff like that can happen...I get guitar oriented items and more (including meals)...we're very careful to watch notifications...

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Makes you wonder just what we pay them for.

19MGB76 likes this.
  3. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    In London, taxi driving is an art and a decent living.
    In the US it's what you do when you can't find anything else. I drove a Checker cab for a few months when I was young about 50 years ago. Night shift, all the drunks, very few fares and I averaged $1 an hour (early '70s).

doc538 and Trash Kidd like this.
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I stopped working night shifts about 12 years ago.. Couldn’t stand all the drunks anymore… It’s funny… The nicest of people only have to have a couple of beers or glasses of wine & they turn into the most nasty of A’ holes!!! The cab driver usually has to deal with all their crap on the way home!
    Strictly day shifts for me these days..

doc538, MrWookiee, mr coffee and 4 others like this.
  5. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Where I live we can't get food delivered. A couple of weeks ago I get a call and it's one of those Amazon delivery people on the phone. He says he has a delivery to make but my gate is locked. I told him that my gate is always locked. I could see him on the cameras but there was no way I was going all the way down there (900 feet) for a package. Told him to leave it. He didn't like it, but he eventually left it. Nobody bothers packages out here.

MrWookiee and T Bone like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    i dealt with college students (and worse, alumni) for over thirty years. Game days were horrible. Drunks at 8AM are the worst! If the team wins, happy drunks. If they lose, angry drunks. Students technically aren't allowed to drink. Cops will pop them for DUIs, and then nail them for public intox if they walk. Student bars open at 7AM for "Breakfast Club"---drunken idjits in costumes. Alumni are allowed to drink, and cops don't do anything about drunks behind the wheel after they've been tailgating for twelve hours. The alumni sense of entitlement is amazing. The students' parents aren't any better. ("You know how much I spend here every year?!") I feel for anyone that has to deal with drunks at any time.

MrWookiee, amp360, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  7. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    That would never fly in a place like Houston. Package would be gone about as quickly as the driver could make it out of the parking lot.

-m

8. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Parking lot? We're lucky we have paved roads. I swim every day in the summer. Can't remember the last time I wore trunks. Years and years. I could leave a dozen packages at the end of my driveway and they would still be there a week later.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Almost the same here sadly a lot of packages would get blown away! I’ve grabbed a box heading off my deck and into the air before! Always windy here. Sadly, all the delivery drivers now have an excuse to not even ring the bell to let you know they left something. I can’t count the number of times the box showed delivered two or more hours before it got here. I can’t remember the last time I actually had good delivery service.

10. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    If you give the video to Door Dash and it bags this mullot like you state, if Door Dash doesn't carry this before the police and judge and press charges then they are no better than the maggot that works for them

11. Electrosynthesis

Electrosynthesis Gretschie

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    I agree. The few times I made those kinds of promises I was ready to fulfill them, then and there. When you're ready to follow through, soft words and a firm look is all it takes. Most times, however, pushing the situation will only make matters worse. I find it's harder — and better — to just let go and live my life the best I can.

12. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    One of the funniest books I read as a kid in 1957 was titled "My Flag is Down", and was a collection of experiences by a New York City taxi driver. If you can find a copy locally, you might enjoy the read. Or Amazon has some copies.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  13. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Sounds like a good read!! :)

14. afire

afire Country Gent

Search warrant? The police don't need a search warrant to run down a plain as day lead. They have a video of the guy committing the crime and know where he works. I very much doubt that Door Dash has any interest in stonewalling the police over an employee who is stealing property from customers.

MrWookiee, audept and Henry like this.
  15. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I don't know what's going on in the rest of the world in this regard, but it has been plainly stated here that the DA is not accepting charges. Some of the reasoning is that the courts are backlogged. The result is that the police do pretty much nothing. This is a theft case, and if the value is below a certain threshold, it is a misdemeanor theft case. The police are not going to do anything about it. To expect them to is deluding yourself.

-m

16. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    NO!! Never take the law into your own hands. Threatening someone, even if they are in the wrong, is never legal in any sense. You will wind up getting yourself in a world of trouble for what? The value of that package he stole (Which I gather was not much?). Better the company simply fires him and he learns a lesson - theft does not pay.

mr coffee likes this.
  17. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    True! Even if the "He needed killin'" defense will work in your area, you don't want to have to go through all of that if things get out of hand.

Jackrd likes this.
  18. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Holy cow...a friggin; HAT????

thunder58 likes this.
  19. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Two summers ago I put a 1,200 pound horse 8 feet under in one hour and fifteen minutes. Wasn't that much bother.

hole1.JPG

20. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A hat's a tad better than good wishes. Still not great recompense.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.