Unsung Heroes of Rock

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 19, 2021 at 6:41 PM.

1. Mercury

Mercury Electromatic

The Cramps. American Punk/Indie/Neo-Rockabilly Band. 1986-2009.

Poison Ivy on lead guitar with her big orange Gretsch is just about as wicked as it gets, an amazing guitarist...Here they are in 2006, near the end of the band's tenure, playing the classic rockabilly-style hit, Mad Daddy. Truly one of the most under-rated bands in Rock history.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 6:11 AM
    Highroller and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  2. jml77

jml77 Electromatic

Not sure if he's unsung or a hero, but I'd like to nominate

Robert Wyatt.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Unsung piano/organ players---
    Leon Russell
    Paul Shaffer & the World's Most Dangerous Band backed up tons of people

Waxhead and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  4. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Ruth Underwood, the vibes player for Zappa.

dougmon and DennisC like this.
  5. hawiian2

hawiian2 Electromatic

Jan 13, 2021
    Connecticut
    The ones I was thinking about were already posted but I did come up with one, Billy Prestons contributions to the Beatles. Here is a link to his tribute to George doing a really bang up job on My Sweet Lord.
    Its worth the listen

new6659 likes this.
  6. juks

juks Electromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Cramps has been already mentioned. But wanted to add one side of them. They dug out all these crazy wonderful 50s and 60s songs that had been all forgotten. There is a series of CDs called 'the songs Cramps tought us' with the original versions. Lots of fun.

Sonics from Seattle, no doubt. 60s garage rock band, hugely influential. Psycho! Youtube has a video them playing in some record store in Seattle not so long ago. And these old guys rock like a runaway freight train. Amazing. Swedish band Nomads are like their grand children. Great band.

I gotta put up Hanoi Rocks as well. I'm not a fan but saw their first ever gig back in the day in Finland. Many have stated them as influence. Including Guns and Roses.

Smithereens comes to mind. Oh and Godfathers from the UK. They were amazing live band. The way the 2 guitarist played together was so much fun.

Johnny Thunders. Pirates and Dr Feelgood from the UK. Brought pub rock back at the hight of Punk.

There are so many more...

Mercury likes this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve been digging that solo since the song first came out. For years, I thought it was David Lindley, but I was astounded when I heard the story of that solo. Truly a tragedy that someone so gifted remained in obscurity.

Both great, and inventive players. Larry Carlton is one of the best in the business.

Two more greats.

I always thought that Shaffer’s band was amazing. They were hard working and could put their best foot forward in any genre.

S. Rock and Waxhead like this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    sad mad cat.jpg

thunder58 likes this.
  9. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Thinking about Pete Best ... if you've ever heard any of those super early Beatles tracks, he was a pretty average drummer really. And it's not like he voluntarily "stepped aside". He got fired.

But everybody still knows him anyway.

If you look at it in a certain way, you might even say nobody ever got more famous for doing so little. The original "famous for almost being famous" story.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 9:01 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.