Unsung Heroes of Rock

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 19, 2021 at 6:41 PM.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Having been a part of that workforce for forty years or so it seemed appropriate to me.
    I consider the Wonderful izard of Oz our patron saint. I was that man behind the curtain.

Unsung musicians that deserve more notice? John Hiatt and Ry Cooder warrant much more attention. Siegel-Schwall Blues Band is a personal favorite. After doing their own gigs, they'd go to Chicago after hours joints and back up the Blues greats of the Windy City.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021 at 12:12 PM
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  2. T-Bawler

T-Bawler Electromatic

Aug 23, 2020
    WNY
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    What did Waddy do Rich - I missed that.
    Hope it's not another horrible M Jackson story :(

4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Im looking at it from the perspective of the common listener may not know him by name.
    Ray Cooper and Carol Kaye also.

Highroller likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Cool pic. Looks like he's playing an old Gibson ES300?

I recall that one of things that prevented him from joining a band (~1965) and going on the road was glandular fever.

T-Bawler likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    close ... and please do not mention the subject on the forum ...simple Google search ( Wikipedia )

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok hehehe wasn't planning too

hey how about a forum ban on mentioning names of offenders like Waddy, Jackson and Glitter.
    Hangings too good for these types of criminals imo :mad:

8. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Fair enough, but Nile did have his star turn with Chic before he became the mega-producer he became. I'd put him somewhere in the same league as Brian Eno, maybe not a household name, but extremely accomplished and widely acknowledged as such.

I'd certainly agree with you on Carol Kaye and Ray Cooper. Studio players in general suffer that fate, see my above post on Ray Jackson.

hawiian2 and 5120mantis like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    And lets not forget the unsung hero who plays for Pat Benatar . He's also her husband and a big Gretsch player .....Neil Giraldo

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm not commenting on folks' moral standards. There are more than enough low life types in every field of endeavors. Like that fellow in Rome that wears white all of the time says, "Who am I to judge?" Here, we're just commenting on their contributions to the world of music.

11. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    At first I was just thinking of influential bands that were unsung. Most mentions, so far, are individuals who contribute greatly with little or no notoriety. As for the latter, wasn't the sax player and the guy who played the guitar solo on Gerry Raferty's 'Baker Street' pulled off the streets of of London (studio musicians)?

As far as unsung artists go, Paul Weller comes to mind. I know, all of England reveres Paul, I'm coming from the perspective of being stateside.

This reminds me of a joke.

How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

The number is so obscure, you've probably never heard of it.

drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
  12. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    Waddy Wachtel, used to see him all the time at the Troubadour. Wrecking Crew
    also Joe Walsh pre Eagles. One great guitar player Plus he's still here. It's a miracle that so many of those back in the 70s n 80's are still here

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 8:00 AM
  13. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    The best example of "Unsung Heroes of Rock" is a band, actually called The Band.
    They started out as Bob Dylan's backup band, and branched out on their own. Every single one of them was a multi-instrumentalist, and they did everything and played everything in the studio.
    They quite literally were "the band". :cool:

14. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    Buddy Whittington , Blues Breaker Alum.

Why this guy is not publicly top tier ( he for sure is among top tier guitarists) is beyond me. Perhaps he didn't look the part?

Anyway he makes playing tasty, intelligent Blues look like a walk in the park. No curled lip, weird strut , eyes skyward theatrics.

One of the top 5 in my book.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    I would also ad Jim Keltner, Andrew Gold and Danny Kortchmar to the back up band list.

Tony65x55 and wabash slim like this.
  16. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

They actually started as Ronnie Hawkins' backing band.

17. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm 52 and saw him on Hee Haw in the 70's, but man can this guy really play. Not as a guest on anyone's albums (I think), but he should have been. If there was ever a Traveling Wilbury's mk II he should have been in on it for guitar, banjo, fiddle, etc...

Mr. Roy Clark.

Even in the 70s his audience was all people over 60, but that really shouldn't be the case. He should/could be considered a huge influence...not enough Public Relations? His audience market just became so much....old people who like country in Branson, MO. Man was he talented! Just dosen't get the credit and adulation. Can't say anough of the man, and I met him too, as a wee lad of 12 at the Amana VIP Golf Tournament, right here in Iowa City.

I'll throw in Jerry Reed too. And Glen Campbell. Roy and Jerry and Glen were really great players. Unsung heroes, in that no one under the age of 45 even knows who they are. If you are in Nashville, my apologies, as I am sure you guys know them.

18. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I was going to say Carol Kaye, but you beat me to it with the Wrecking Crew in general.

[​IMG]

hawiian2, audept and Teledriver like this.
  19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    As soon as I heard Clare Torrey, my thoughts immediately went to Ellen Foley, that amazing voice on the Bat out of Hell album. "Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife"

And an honourable mention to the incredible sax player in Al Stewart's Time Passages, Phil Kenzie.

drmilktruck likes this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I got to see Rou live while I was stationed in Topeka KS in 1970. He walked into a C&W bar, and asked the band if he could sit in. They couldn't get a guitar into his hands fast enough.
    One thing I've noticed about Roy was that you'd hear him flub notes now nd then, Not sloppy per se, but he was always playing at the top of hos ability, giving it his all.
    Saw a bit (on yootoob) where Roy and Glen were playing "Ghost Riders". Smoking hot---and Glen was matching Roy note for note on a 12 string.
    Jerry was an amazing player, tight up there with Chet. Not as polished, but a superlative musician in his own right.

Cousin Kenny Vaughan is another side man with massive loads of talent.

Tony65x55 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.