Unsung Heroes of Rock

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Why can't I hit "like" 10 times?
    We all have our favorites and Linda is my favorite singer of all time. And her backup band in the '70s was remarkable too, as you know. Her voice was always perfect with just the right amount of emotion. Stirred my heart.
    Still a fan and sad that the disease took her voice while enjoy seeing her in videos telling her story. Glad she is still with us.

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Jeff Skunk Baxter and Larry Carlton for their many epic guitar solos on most of Steely Dans albums

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

T-Bawler, drmilktruck and audept like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    :mad:a big UGH ... Guy makes me sick . Yes @Randy99CL and Wabash , talented guy but him and his wife should be in jail . And Stevie Nicks supported him ( another one who makes me sick ) . I bet Waddy is friends with Gary Glitter too

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Every underground band that plays a no-trendy, no-fashionable music and doesn't change the style to indulge a commercial audience.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
  6. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    upload_2021-2-20_10-55-46.png

The man that made Rock music hard. The master of simplicity, the power chord genius. Few know him, but he is the foundation of Rock music: Link Wray.

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  8. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    The first thing that pops into my head is the unknown street musician used for steel drums on The Hollies "Hey Carrie-Anne". I don't even think the guy got paid and they said they never saw him again after having him do it.

9. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Ian Stewart. Original founding member of the Rolling Stones. Kicked out by Andrew Loog Oldham because he didn't look the part they were trying to cast of the band. Great piano, still played on many Stones songs and many other artists' stuff too. Such a great guy he stayed with the band as their roadie! Played live with them too off and on, notably the 1981 Still Life tour that I recall off the top of my head.

10. Shock

Shock Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    What the toot? Had to Google it to see what you were referring to. I never knew that. Ick.

thunder58 likes this.
  11. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    yea , but lets not announce this subject matter on the forum .. ( not personally directed towards you Shock , but to the general membership , thanks )

12. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Pete Best ... thanks for stepping aside so The Beatles could become the greatest band ever . Ain't that right @TV the Wired Turtle ...lol :D

13. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    ++++1...and the Funk Brothers

Teledriver, new6659, audept and 3 others like this.
  14. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    The Kinks aren't unsung!

The entire workforce @wabash slim has mentioned trigger me to agree with him. They'll remain unsung, as it always was.

More general, in every profession you find people who do whatever it is right and are rightfully proud of their work. Like the ticket controller on the little regional train in Thuriniga two years ago: She got the tap in the sink working again, enabling me and the other passengers to wash our hands after we had to perform a weightloss-ritual onboard.

Means a lot if you have a washing-disorder (I can physically feel my hands being dirty when I don't wash them afterwards - although I know there is no physically feelable dirt attached to their surface, I know this is nuts, but that doesn't change feeling it...). And there's a lot of that, often going unnoticed or unappreciated, and of course, I do that too. Everybody does, sometimes.

... but, back to bands who are less known than they might deserve...:

The Pretty Things!

The band I saw most often play, like ... don't even know exactly, 7 to 9 times between 2005 and 2018, and sadly no more. They were at least as great as the Stones or the Who, but went less noticed most of the time, while never truly unnoticed. They sure spent a lot of their time in their van ... when I saw them arrive at the venue, every time one of the band or the guy from the merch table (... less-noticed workforce ...) was driving. I know many people, especially around here, know and love them, but people who are a bit less into music often don't even know them.

A Plus-side of this is, you could actually talk to someone from the band after their shows. Of course, no deep conversations about big questions, just a little chat and music, but ... try that with the Stones. The Stones made people pay 300 € and up to be allowed to sit in a multi-story parking garage-like ... thing ... on stage and have a close look on a bunch of old dude's behinds. What a rebellious move ... don't get it wrong, I still love the Stones, it's just that the overcommercial sides of being that big don't make them more interesting, and they don't need that. They're rich enough.

OTOH, if 60000 people in a city wanna see you play, it is selfish to play for 600 lucky ones because you like the small venue, Keith Richards said long ago, and still he has a fair point in this...

15. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Fred Eaglesmith

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  16. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Ray Jackson has a similar story. The guy that created the iconic mandolin parts on Rod Stewart's Maggie May and Mandolin Wind. He was paid 15 pounds (union flat fee at the time - about US$30) and is credited on the album as "the mandolin player in Lindisfarne". When it came time to do the album credits, Stewart couldn't even remember his name! Unlike Ms. Torry however, his eventual legal efforts never got anywhere. To this day, he's never received any additional credit (or royalties) for his contribution to Stewart's biggest hits.

17. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
  18. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I see the Outlaws every year when they come to Minneapolis. Still a great band.

19. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Nile Rodgers? Really? He's a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, a three-time Grammy Award-winner, and the chairman of the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Not exactly "unsung" by my standards, but ok ... if the Kinks are unsung, I guess Rodgers can be too.

I'd like to nominate, in no particular order:

The Flaming Groovies
    The Gun Club
    My Bloody Valentine
    Television
    Sonic Youth
    The Jesus and Mary Chain

and yes, The Cramps

All legendary, influential bands that outside of their respective fan bases, are more or less unknown to the general public.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.