Unsung Heroes of Rock

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 19, 2021.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    There are people who create or participate in something great and don't get enough credit. Who can you think of?

My nominee is Clare Torry, who sang (and improvised) the wordless vocals on Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd. She was paid 30 pounds for her work. Later she successfully sued Pink Floyd for writing and artist credit. Unfortunately she didn't have much success on her own but still has a place in music history.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/01/clare-torry-pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon.html

(I always love clips where artists are enjoying themselves. Rick Wright and the other keyboardist's reactions to her singing are great.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  2. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Janis Joplin in a pant suit??? Pretty good talent to be able to do that.

drmilktruck and mrfixitmi like this.
  3. Shock

Shock Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Former Pandora, former Pixie, former Muff Kim Shattuck. I had the chance to meet her at one of her last shows before she died in 2019. Best scream in rock.

juks, mschafft, Rusty Silver and 4 others like this.
  4. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Colorado
    I think I read somewhere that she apologized to the band after her recording, she basically thought she had done a terrible job.

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  5. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Interesting topic. How about Kathy Redfern's "Be Quiet, Big Boys Don't Cry" on the 10CC hit I'm Not in Love.

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Another Pink Floyd related one is Roy Harper singing the lead on Have a Cigar. He was recording an album at the same studio. Gilmour and Waters were at loggerheads over their versions of the song and Harper was called in to have a stab at it.

mrfixitmi, Teledriver and NJDevil like this.
  7. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Mike Mills of R.E.M.
    He was cited a few times as the bands "secret weapon"

JT19, mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  8. Shock

Shock Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    The Guitar Army. I thought they were the best of the 80s guitar bands.

9. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Every single drummer & bass player who holds it all up..

10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    All of my “heroes” are unsung, and that’s perfectly okay with me.

The fact that the mainstream has passed them by is a testament to their integrity and their uncompromising artistic expression.
    If the status quo did gobble them up, it’s usually proof of the opposite.
    The best artists let the public come to them, not pander to the sterile hit machine.

11. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner. You didnt really think Brad Whitford and Joe Perry played "A train kept a rollin' " did you?

Train kept a rollin'

Hunter & Wagner on "Sweet Jane" live, Rock n roll animal Lou Reed.

Glenn Buxton was another unsung hero of mine.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  13. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

here's my nominee. Jesse "Ed" Davis. he was a native American from Oklahoma. he was widely known by the likes of George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Leon Russel, etc. he played lead guitar with Taj Mahal for some time with Ry Crooder playing rhythm guitar.. he played lead guitar on Jackson Brown's record, "Doctor My Eyes".

14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Wow, she was brilliant at that! The range, the emotion, stunning!

SAguitar and mrfixitmi like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Waddy Wachtel, Kenny Aronson, and Leland Sklar are my choices for a backup band. These guys have done thousands of recordings and concerts. You've seen and heard them for years. Every unsung studio musician that ever did a session counts.

The real unsung heroes? Stagehands and roadies who guarantee the show will go on no matter what. The Grateful Dead handed out shirts to local crews that read, "First In, Last Out." Can't forget the truck and bus drivers who haul the band and their gear around the country as well. Even the janitors at the venues who have to clean up after the show. The ushers and concessionaires and security and ticket takers fill a need as well. These are the real unsung heroes.

16. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Great choice! I was going to say the Wrecking Crew, but Audept beat me to it! ;-) But....this one is fantastic.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Great call! I fell in love with Linda Ronstadt and her albums in the '70s and Waddy was a brilliant part of that sound.

mrfixitmi, Telechamp and wabash slim like this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Linda's voice was a gift from God. It can still bring tears to my eyes. So sad that Parkinson's took it from her. Waddy and Andrew Gold were prime parts of that sound.

19. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    7B43F591-2395-49C6-89F7-A61DEA4E72D1.jpeg

mrfixitmi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.